The Student Room Group

Would you consider becoming a vegetarian?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by 303Pharma
How do you feel when you see a wildlife documentary showing a lion ripping the throat out a young dear to feed her starving cubs? Everyone, EVERYONE, is food for someone else, even if just bacteria.

The lion can't make pasta. Or digest it. Bacteria lack the nervous system required to feel pain or distress.
Original post by BefuddledPenguin
The lion can't make pasta. Or digest it. Bacteria lack the nervous system required to feel pain or distress.
Bad analogy. Of course bacteria feel stress, maybe not pain, but certainly stress. Cold, excessive heat, too much competition for environmental nutrients.

But, yeah, your point is otherwise solid.
Reply 82
Original post by A-LJLB
So if I eat meat and consume dairy, I don't care about animals?

Sorry to say but yes it does. Eating meat and consuming diary has adverse affects on the environment and planet; which are essential aspects in keeping all animal species and their food chains alive, healthy and functioning. You cannot reconcile a love for animals and eating meat, by doing the latter you are endangering the former.
Original post by eu.ad
Sorry to say but yes it does. Eating meat and consuming diary has adverse affects on the environment and planet; which are essential aspects in keeping all animal species and their food chains alive, healthy and functioning. You cannot reconcile a love for animals and eating meat, by doing the latter you are endangering the former.
Oh behave! The planet has been here millions of years before us, and will still be here millions of years after us. We effect nothing.
i would become vegetarian
Reply 85
Oh behave! The planet has been here millions of years before us, and will still be here millions of years after us. We effect nothing.

Your comment is comical, you're kidding yourself if you believe that humans don't have an adverse affect on the planet. No one is saying the planet won't be here in millions of years but at the rate we're going it won't be inhabitable for humans or animals. Scientists have determined that for almost all of history CO2 levels haven't gone past 300 ppm but since the industrial revolution it's been steadily climbing along with increased fossil fuel use from human activity such as driving cars. The CO2 in the atmosphere is around 420ppm and global temperatures are higher than they've ever been during an inter-glacial period. I don't have time for trolls...
Original post by eu.ad

Ah okay, I didn't realise you could tell me what I feel or don't feel!
Reply 87
Yes, killing animals is vile. And animal husbandry and inefficient way of producing food. Sadly it's a difficult tradition and habit to break.
I'd give it a try
Reply 89
Original post by A-LJLB
Ah okay, I didn't realise you could tell me what I feel or don't feel!

I'm not telling anyone how they should or shouldn't feel, I'm simply presenting fact. If you choose to delude yourself so be it. The reality of your choices don't fit into the morals you hold and idea of yourself that you have. You saying you care about animals doesn't translate into you actually caring for them with your actions.
Original post by eu.ad
I'm not telling anyone how they should or shouldn't feel, I'm simply presenting fact. If you choose to delude yourself so be it. The reality of your choices don't fit into the morals you hold and idea of yourself that you have. You saying you care about animals doesn't translate into you actually caring for them with your actions.

Again, I think I know how I feel about things better than you, so you just stick to your business :h:
Original post by Iamangryrar
Probably? what? You have no way of knowing that at all. If these domesticated animals weren't taking out of their natural habitat then they would have had a great chance of expanding in the wild.

The chicken you ate today was the product of artificial insemination, not only because it is more efficient for the farmers to do it that way, but also because its biological parents' ancestors were selectively bred and bred and bred for meat production to the point that they are no longer physically capable of reproduction.

Practically all domesticated animals that we eat have been bred to grow large enough to be slaughtered before they reach sexual maturity. Their legs cannot really support them in the long term and most have some sort of problem with their ability to walk in the course of their short life. Their immune system is compromised from day 1, but it's fine because their feed contains plenty of antibiotics.

If they were human, and born they way we have bred them, we would describe them as having birth defects. Since they're animals, it's just good business.

TL;DR: The animals we raise for meat today would have no chance of surviving to sexual maturity in the wild and are virtually unrecognisable as the original, wild type animal.
Original post by adowolf
Stop spreading your disgusting pro-meat propaganda.

There's nothing disgusting about it. Meat is delicious! I don't think I've ever been happier than when tucking into a huge Fillet Steak which is still dripping blood onto the plate
Original post by eu.ad
There's no point in being a vegetarian if you eat diary or consume other animal products. Veganism is the only way forwards in terms of making an actual environmental impact. By eating diary or wearing leather etc. you're still contributing to the same environmental problems associated with eating meat.

I think being a vegetarian is great but would be better if it were a stepping stone to veganism.

I just became a vegetarian and I love to become a vegan one day, but it's quite difficult. I will stick to vegetarian for now but since you think that's pointless I should be better of just eating meat?
OP, would you consider becoming Vegan? If not, why not?
Original post by eu.ad
Your comment is comical, you're kidding yourself if you believe that humans don't have an adverse affect on the planet. No one is saying the planet won't be here in millions of years but at the rate we're going it won't be inhabitable for humans or animals. Scientists have determined that for almost all of history CO2 levels haven't gone past 300 ppm but since the industrial revolution it's been steadily climbing along with increased fossil fuel use from human activity such as driving cars. The CO2 in the atmosphere is around 420ppm and global temperatures are higher than they've ever been during an inter-glacial period. I don't have time for trolls...

Anthropomorphic global warming is a joke. Is global warming happening? Possibly. Is human activity causing the ice caps on Mars to melt? Of course not. There's no possible way any human activity could influence climate.It's the sun stupid. Look do a search on YouTube for 70S climate change. They were predicting an imminent ice age. Basically, climate 'science' is about as valid as Scientology or tarot card readings
Reply 96
I'm probably a lot older than most posters on this site, middle aged. I went vegetarian for like 2 or 3 years in my late teens. Never been so sick. Lethargic, prone to any bugs going around, mild depression and lack of confidence. Muscle wastage, after a few good years hard strength training. No internet back then. No reasonably way to research nutrition. If you are going to go for that lifestyle you need to research and learn the subject. Or bad things happen.

I'm intrigued as to what your diet was during that period? Did you overhaul your diet, did you substitute in food items for the meat or did you keep the rest of it the same?
Original post by RVNmax
I'm intrigued as to what your diet was during that period? Did you overhaul your diet, did you substitute in food items for the meat or did you keep the rest of it the same?

It basically came down to cheese on toast, baked beans and salad. Really poorly nutritional regime. But back then it was hard to find good guidance.

But I did notice a very peculiar change in my mental state, conciousness. I was far more relaxed and at ease, and seemed to be way more empathic and concern about social and environmental issues. Whether this was due to actual changes in brain chemistry, or just the cultural norms surrounding vegetarianism at the time I couldn't say. But it was a real phenomenon to me.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Spratty
"Nothing will benefit health and increase the chances of survival of life on earth as the evolution to a vegetarian diet" -Einstein
I've been vegetarian all of my life through religious reasons.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to impose or force you to be vegetarian, I just want your opinions.

I've tried it before in the past but I couldn't keep it up for anymore than a month or so. Maybe I will go back to it later on in life
Reply 99
I would, but then that would mean that I have limited culinary experiences...

Quick Reply

Latest