The Student Room Group

Just started self-teaching A-level Mathematics (AQA)

I'm only doing one A-level or two (if I want to do Further Maths). I'm 16 and have chosen to self-teach because I became sick of school. I started yesterday but only did a few minutes. I am aiming to complete Indices (exponents) by the end of the week; the first topic in Core 1. How long should it take to complete Core 1? Or each unit for that matter?

Currently, I'm using ExamSolutions to aid my study and I should be purchasing some textbooks very soon. Will using these resources enable me to learn everything thoroughly?
Reply 1
Original post by Un sueño
I'm only doing one A-level or two (if I want to do Further Maths). I'm 16 and have chosen to self-teach because I became sick of school. I started yesterday but only did a few minutes. I am aiming to complete Indices (exponents) by the end of the week; the first topic in Core 1. How long should it take to complete Core 1? Or each unit for that matter?

Currently, I'm using ExamSolutions to aid my study and I should be purchasing some textbooks very soon. Will using these resources enable me to learn everything thoroughly?

None of us have any idea what your ability level is so it's impossible to say how you'll find it. Some self-teach and get 100%. Others self-teach and really struggle.

How did you find GCSE? Do you have any grades/marks?
(edited 7 years ago)
I applaud your ambition. The only problem is when you come across something which you don't understand from the book NOR the videos... you then need another way of having it explained. It would be good if you could find someone to act as a quasi-tutor, to help you out on the difficult bits. It's also difficult to gauge your progress without some third-party input. That said, it's perfectly do-able, just a bit of a challenge. Best of luck.
Reply 3
Original post by notnek
None of us have any idea what your ability level is so it's impossible to say how you'll find it. Some self-teach and get 100%. Others self-teach and really struggle.

How did you find GCSE? Do you have any mock grades/marks?

I only got an A in GCSE. I am also fairly rusty.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
I applaud your ambition. The only problem is when you come across something which you don't understand from the book NOR the videos... you then need another way of having it explained. It would be good if you could find someone to act as a quasi-tutor, to help you out on the difficult bits. It's also difficult to gauge your progress without some third-party input. That said, it's perfectly do-able, just a bit of a challenge. Best of luck.

Thank you for your advice. Will Further Maths be too much right now?

If you do 2 hrs of maths a day you can finish C1 in a month, C2 in about a month and a half. Most of the further units will take ~2 months at 2hrs a day.
Well, doing Maths and Further Maths as an independent student is a huge challenge. If you're confident that you are a good mathematician, then again: it's not impossible. I, though, would spend a month or so doing just the A level and see how you get on with it. Probably better to do one well that try to spread yourself too thinly and end up not doing well in either of them.

Time management is going to be the key thing here, particularly relevant to independent students. You need to get into the habit of having dedicated, regular study times and a timetable so you know you can fit in all the work you need to in good time for the exams and leave enough time for consolidation and revision. I'm sure you know that, though.
Reply 7
Thank you for your advice. Will Further Maths be too much right now?

Possibly but you can start C1/2 and see how you find them. Then you can make the decision to do Further Maths.

A lot of schools require an A* at GCSE to do Further Maths. Also you won't have a teacher to help you so you could struggle.

It's impossible to say how much time you should or will need to invest. It depends on your aptitude for maths and dedication to study. "Only did a few minutes" doesn't sound promising! Most of the first few topics are just GCSE revision so should be relatively easy to cover quickly. Some of the new topics will take more effort, don't leave it too late. If you were of average ability then a reasonable estimate is 60 hours of self study for each unit (less for c1 if your GCSE knowledge is solid). You might need less or you might need more. There will be people who tell you they did C1 in a day, C2 in 3 days and S1 the night before the exam. Such stories are probably true but they are not typical of average students. There are many people who despite a whole year of teaching either drop maths, fail AS completely or achieve modest E grades.

Examsolutions, textbook plus lots of past paper practice is good preparation. Physicsandmathstutor.com has useful collections of topic based questions and other resources that will help you assess your progress. Most people benefit from some kind of collaboration in their learning so using the maths forum here to discuss problems or getting a tutor to help you will boost your chances of learning "thoroughly".

Make your decision on further maths when you see how you get on the regular maths. An AS in FM is not a huge stretch for someone who does well with C1&2. The more advanced further maths and applications units get significantly more challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by gdunne42
It's impossible to say how much time you should or will need to invest. It depends on your aptitude for maths and dedication to study. "Only did a few minutes" doesn't sound promising! Most of the first few topics are just GCSE revision so should be relatively easy to cover quickly. Some of the new topics will take more effort, don't leave it too late. If you were of average ability then a reasonable estimate is 60 hours of self study for each unit (less for c1 if your GCSE knowledge is solid). You might need less or you might need more. There will be people who tell you they did C1 in a day, C2 in 3 days and S1 the night before the exam. Such stories are probably true but they are not typical of average students. There are many people who despite a whole year of teaching either drop maths, fail AS completely or achieve modest E grades.

Examsolutions, textbook plus lots of past paper practice is good preparation. Physicsandmathstutor.com has useful collections of topic based questions and other resources that will help you assess your progress. Most people benefit from some kind of collaboration in their learning so using the maths forum here to discuss problems or getting a tutor to help you will boost your chances of learning "thoroughly".

Make your decision on further maths when you see how you get on the regular maths. An AS in FM is not a huge stretch for someone who does well with C1&2. The more advanced further maths and applications units get significantly more challenging.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks so much for the advice. I understand the jump between GCSE and A-level. I am hoping I should nail the entire course by May 2018 (when exams start). And I can't afford a tutor! My parents will make me pay it.
Original post by notnek
Possibly but you can start C1/2 and see how you find them. Then you can make the decision to do Further Maths.

A lot of schools require an A* at GCSE to do Further Maths. Also you won't have a teacher to help you so you could struggle.

Yeah I heard if you self-teach further maths most people struggle doing it alone.
Thanks so much for the advice. I understand the jump between GCSE and A-level. I am hoping I should nail the entire course by May 2018 (when exams start). And I can't afford a tutor! My parents will make me pay it.

Don't forget that there's plenty of people and resources on this website to help you when you need it.

P.S. I'm reminded that the http://www.madasmaths.com/ resources are really useful if you master the content (consistently get very high marks from past papers) and want to push yourself to prepare for harder and unusual questions
I'm doing pure maths at a level and self teaching. ( pure 1-4 and further 1&3).
I got a* at gcse in 2014, which I self taught too.
I've paid for an online course as well so I have tutor support, and I have a few guides as well.
I recommend jack brown on YouTube. He has teaching videos for all subjects and a set of videos bridging the gap between a level and gcse.
I did c1 in 4 weeks, c2 in 7 and I've just started fp1.
Also it can be very expensive to do it this way. My local college don't teach adults, so I've no choice but to be a private candidate. This is expensive. I'm having to pay £17.30 per exam (therefore times 6 in the end) and £100 one off administration fee to take my exams.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by RuthieG101
I'm doing pure maths at a level and self teaching. ( pure 1-4 and further 1&3).
I got a* at gcse in 2014, which I self taught too.
I've paid for an online course as well so I have tutor support, and I have a few guides as well.
I recommend jack brown on YouTube. He has teaching videos for all subjects and a set of videos bridging the gap between a level and gcse.
I did c1 in 4 weeks, c2 in 7 and I've just started fp1.
Also it can be very expensive to do it this way. My local college don't teach adults, so I've no choice but to be a private candidate. This is expensive. I'm having to pay £17.30 per exam (therefore times 6 in the end) and £100 one off administration fee to take my exams.

Ive never heard of Jack Brown so thanks for that, I'll have a look.

Just so you know RuthieG you have got a great price for taking the exams, £50 per unit is not usual and I've seen Much much more. Where are you doing it? it may be helpful for someone else looking for a centre.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I will be attending John leggott college in Scunthorpe, Lincolnshire. I live in Grimsby, Lincolnshire and this is the closest to me (40 min drive).
I found it a struggle to find somewhere, as the aqa list on their own website is out of date.

Quick Reply

Latest