The Student Room Group

Home Secretary branded "racist" for her immigration plans.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-37561035

"Under her proposals, firms could be forced to disclose what percentage of their workforce is non-British as a way to encourage them to hire more locals.Ms Rudd said she wanted to 'flush out' companies abusing existing rules and 'nudge them into better behaviour'."

Business has attacked the idea while one Tory MP called it "divisive".

Probably because they'll have to pay more :rolleyes:

"There is still one in ten 18-24 year olds in the UK who are unemployed," she added. "I want businesses to think first about locally training people where possible... and work with us to deliver what we need to have which is a more skilled local labour force."

I fail to see what's ethically wrong here, can you?

Scroll to see replies

The rhetoric coming from the Conservatives suggests they want to turn the UK into a safe space to protect delicate Brits from nefarious foreigners and their undesirable characteristics like work ethic and willingness to migrate to obtain employment.
Reply 2
Original post by Quantex
The rhetoric coming from the Conservatives suggests they want to turn the UK into a safe space to protect delicate Brits from nefarious foreigners and their undesirable characteristics like work ethic and willingness to migrate to obtain employment.

They're not aiming to wipe out all foreigners from jobs in the UK, they're attempting to increase the amount of jobs handed to UK locals... what's bad about that?
Reply 3
I see nothing wrong with such transparency, it's upto the consumers as to whether they wish to shop at immigrant filled firms or not.

In Norway i believe they even make your tax records public.
Original post by Quantex

Spot on
I wouldn't say there's anything specifically racist about this. That said I don't necessarily agree either.

In the long term, yes, it would be beneficial to train the home population than rely on labour abroad. The short term still exists though and some skills require years to develop.

You would also have to factor in that some British people don't want to do jobs X, Y and Z, or wouldn't want to work for a certain wage. You could also argue that this'll stigmatise foreign workers.

I'm sure some people would support this based on racist ideas.
This attitude that any discussion about immigrants is automatically racist has been the principal driver of the current anti-immigrant protectionist Brexit world we now live it. It's not racist to discuss immigrants, and it's not racist for a country to nudge its citizens to look after one another.
Original post by Dodgypirate
They're not aiming to wipe out all foreigners from jobs in the UK, they're attempting to increase the amount of jobs handed to UK locals... what's bad about that?

The emphasis should be on improving the employability of these locals so that's they've are able to compete, not throwing up protections. If a local loses out for a job to a migrant with low skills and poor English, then the fault lies with the local or the government, not with Johnny Foreinger for being the more desirable employee.

Secondly these locals should stop sitting on their backsides and waiting for jobs to come to them. As Norman Tebbit said "get on your bike", something migrants are willing to do but many Brits aren't. I come from the North East, the poorest region of England with the highest unemployment rate and worst levels of educational attainment. Those of us who have done well were the ones willing to get a good education and migrate to other areas of the country or abroad.

Brits don't need to be mollycoddled. Give them the ability, confidence and skills to compete in a competitive labour market and they'll thrive.
Original post by Quantex

Or maybe they want to start to solve the twin problems of underemployed Britons and high immigration by incentivising companies to train and develop the former rather than employing already-trained foreigners.
It's not racist, but points more towards being xenophobic. If they want to go down that route, then other countries will return the favour in kind and everyone will lose.
Original post by Quantex

No, the rhetoric from the Conservative Party shows a government standing up for the widespread concerns regarding mass, unskilled immigration.

The vast majority of people who come to the United Kingdom do not possess skills which help to mitigate employment shortages in places like the NHS and the sciences. The UK cannot sustain unskilled economic migration because of the immense pressures it puts on the living wage, employment, housing and social infrastructure. Concerns regarding mass immigration are common in every western European country; to try and dismiss them with some inane, snowflake narrative is not going to solve anything.

The Conservatives are not against immigration, but they are against vast numbers of people coming to the UK to take advantage of its employment sectors. 300,000 people per year is an appalling number. And it's ironic that the left are advocating mass immigration given it's the left who complain about housing, hospital and infrastructure shortages.
(edited 7 years ago)
This is reminiscent of the Saudisation process currently happening in Saudi; it has reached the point at which they are now fining companies who don't employ enough Saudis and subjecting them to heavy sanctions. I don't think that companies should miss out on hiring exceptional talent just because they came from overseas. After all, it has already been made much more difficult for non-EU migrants to move here for work and international students to stay following their studies. The proposals don't make her racist but they are extreme.
Original post by 999tigger
It's not racist, but points more towards being xenophobic. If they want to go down that route, then other countries will return the favour in kind and everyone will lose.

True, once Brits start getting kicked out of other countries because they're getting fired, the issue of a shortage of jobs will arise again.
Original post by WBZ144
I don't think that companies should miss out on hiring exceptional talent just because they came from overseas.

I agree, but nobody is saying they should. Resorting to people overseas as a first port of call is not the same thing, though, when perfectly good candidates who may need some training are already available. We have an immigration crisis partly because companies find it easier and cheaper to bring in trained and experienced people from abroad instead of developing the people they already have.

This is substantially why existing employees miss out on career development and the unemployed, often young people, find it difficult to establish themselves.
Original post by Good bloke
I agree, but nobody is saying they should. Resorting to people overseas as a first port of call is not the same thing, though, when perfectly good candidates who may need some training are already available. We have an immigration crisis partly because companies find it easier and cheaper to bring in trained and experienced people from abroad instead of developing the people they already have.

This is substantially why existing employees miss out on career development and the unemployed, often young people, find it difficult to establish themselves.

But at the same time these 'perfectly good candidates' may not be available, or it too expensive or unwise for the company to invest in training them. Naming and shaming companies who hire foreign labour suggests that they can employee local Brits, which isn't always the case.
Original post by Good bloke

But as of April 2016 it became a lot cheaper for companies to hire people at home and overseas. Now they have to pay out salaries of at least £35,000, which is higher than most graduate jobs if they want their non-British employee to be granted Teir 2 visa. That's why I think that a measure such as this one is too extreme. It is now much harder for people to migrate to the UK for work if they are not EU citizens, and I can understand why it was done but the new measure will ostracise people who already live in the UK permanently. If they have a spouse or children who are British, obviously it's going to be problematic.
Original post by SHallowvale
But at the same time these 'perfectly good candidates' may not be available, or it too expensive or unwise for the company to invest in training them. Naming and shaming companies who hire foreign labour suggests that they can employee local Brits, which isn't always the case.

And not just companies but the public services too. Many of the NHS staff is foreign, for an example and it's still short-staffed.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jake4198
No, the rhetoric from the Conservative Party shows a government standing up for the widespread concerns regarding mass, unskilled immigration.

The vast majority of people who come to the United Kingdom do not possess skills which help to mitigate employment shortages in places like the NHS and the sciences. The UK cannot sustain unskilled economic migration because of the immense pressures it puts on the living wage, employment, housing and social infrastructure. Concerns regarding mass immigration are common in every western European country; to try and dismiss them with some inane, snowflake narrative is not going to solve anything.

The Conservatives are not against immigration, but they are against vast numbers of people coming to the UK to take advantage of its employment sectors. 300,000 people per year is an appalling number. And it's ironic that the left are advocating mass immigration given it's the left who complain about housing, hospital and infrastructure shortages.

Er, the proposals are actually about skilled, non-EU immigration, not mass, unskilled immigration.
Original post by WBZ144
It is now much harder for people to migrate to the UK for work if they are not EU citizens.

Excellent!
Original post by SHallowvale

There are always exceptions, but as a matter of public interest, companies should generally be encouraged to develop the British workforce in preference to resolving the unemployment problems of other countries.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending