The Student Room Group

Degree Apprenticeship Questions

Hey guys,

I have a few questions about these fairly new Degree Apprenticeships that I can't seem to find any answers to. I was hoping that anyone who has had any experience with them or knows a bit more about them could answer these questions for me.

Basically, I'm looking into my next step after my final year at college and university seems great and all but these new Degree Apprenticeships look more like my kind of route. However, most of the really good ones that I'd love to be a part of happen to be out of my travelling distance (I'm from Birmingham, but many are in Leicester, Manchester, London etc.)

The questions I'd like to ask are:

1. Has anyone ever relocated for a Degree Apprenticeship? I'm thinking Shared Accommodation, renting a room. Does this seem like a good idea? The salary seems to fund it (most being at least £17,000 a year). If so, does anyone have advice about Shared Accommodation, would I be able to rent one near the university I may be studying at and allow travel to the workplace?

2. Secondly, what is the life of an Apprentice who studies a degree at the same time like? For example, do apprentices get the full university experience? (e.g. Freshers Week, support from university lecturers, joining societies, access to the full campus) or are they restricted only to being at the University for the duration of the day of their study.

3. Finally, are there any cons that a degree apprenticeship might have over going to university as a full time student? Currently the only one I can think of is that you don't have as huge a choice in picking a university, which I suppose is substituted with the fact that you're getting both a salary and work experience.

Any feedback or answers would be much appreciated, I'm just trying to get all my info together before I start applying and making concrete decisions. Thanks!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm on a degree apprenticeship with JLR, I'll answer what I can for you.

1. Has anyone ever relocated for a Degree Apprenticeship? I'm thinking Shared Accommodation, renting a room. Does this seem like a good idea? The salary seems to fund it (most being at least £17,000 a year). If so, does anyone have advice about Shared Accommodation, would I be able to rent one near the university I may be studying at and allow travel to the workplace?
Most of my intake relocated, some from as far away as Scotland. Most chose to share with people met through Facebook groups set up for the apprenticeship, so it's easy to find people to share with. I would suggest finding accommodation nearer to work is more important than your place of study as you'll spend far more time there.
As you'll likely be a part time student, halls are unlikely to be an option for you.

2. Secondly, what is the life of an Apprentice who studies a degree at the same time like? For example, do apprentices get the full university experience? (e.g. Freshers Week, support from university lecturers, joining societies, access to the full campus) or are they restricted only to being at the University for the duration of the day of their study.
I always like this question. I'd say the answer is no, you don't get that experience, because you're not skint. You have too much money to be worried about predrinking and getting yourself in a state during freshers week. An apprenticeship is a job, not a paid university course, make that distinction in your mind as soon as you can. You are not getting paid £17k to go on the lash, you're getting paid that much to do a job, and get your degree at the same time. I would assume societies would be open to you, but balance that around a 40 hour working week, you may as well just go and join a sports club as anyone else would.

3. Finally, are there any cons that a degree apprenticeship might have over going to university as a full time student? Currently the only one I can think of is that you don't have as huge a choice in picking a university, which I suppose is substituted with the fact that you're getting both a salary and work experience.
The downside is you have a job, so you don't get to lay around in bed rotting watching Jeremy Kyle at 2pm when you finally wake up. The course tends to be more rigid and you have a job to do as well, so it's not as though you're at university full time, you'll likely be on block or day release, depending on who you take your apprenticeship with.

From your questions, it sounds like you're more after the party lifestyle that going to university provides than you are about getting a job. If the prospect of "earn while you learn" appeals to you, then be ready to sacrifice that midweek drinking, and just go out at weekends. As someone who went to university first, and then started an apprenticeship, I'm definitely happier in the apprenticeship. At least you can afford to go out.
Milkround has lots of apprenticeships in Birmingham and the West Midlands you might want to check out: http://schoolleavers.milkround.com/searchjobs/?Keywords=&radialtown=Birmingham%2C+West+Midlands&LocationId=1596&RadialLocation=0&CountryCode=

Here's some advice pieces about apprenticesips that might help you

http://advice.milkround.com/earn-while-you-learn-the-many-benefits-of-apprenticeships - earn while you learn, the benefits of apprenticeships

http://advice.milkround.com/the-times-school-leavers-supplement-your-guide-to-apprenticeships-courses-and-careers-advice - The Times School Leavers Supplement: Your guide to apprenticeships, courses and careers advice

http://advice.milkround.com/become-apprentice-good-enough-dickens - Why an apprenticeship is a great university alternative

http://advice.milkround.com/decide-university-right - How to decide if university is right for me?

I hope some of these are of help to you!
Reply 3
Original post by Donkey******
I'm on a degree apprenticeship with JLR, I'll answer what I can for you.

Most of my intake relocated, some from as far away as Scotland. Most chose to share with people met through Facebook groups set up for the apprenticeship, so it's easy to find people to share with. I would suggest finding accommodation nearer to work is more important than your place of study as you'll spend far more time there.
As you'll likely be a part time student, halls are unlikely to be an option for you.

I always like this question. I'd say the answer is no, you don't get that experience, because you're not skint. You have too much money to be worried about predrinking and getting yourself in a state during freshers week. An apprenticeship is a job, not a paid university course, make that distinction in your mind as soon as you can. You are not getting paid £17k to go on the lash, you're getting paid that much to do a job, and get your degree at the same time. I would assume societies would be open to you, but balance that around a 40 hour working week, you may as well just go and join a sports club as anyone else would.

The downside is you have a job, so you don't get to lay around in bed rotting watching Jeremy Kyle at 2pm when you finally wake up. The course tends to be more rigid and you have a job to do as well, so it's not as though you're at university full time, you'll likely be on block or day release, depending on who you take your apprenticeship with.

From your questions, it sounds like you're more after the party lifestyle that going to university provides than you are about getting a job. If the prospect of "earn while you learn" appeals to you, then be ready to sacrifice that midweek drinking, and just go out at weekends. As someone who went to university first, and then started an apprenticeship, I'm definitely happier in the apprenticeship. At least you can afford to go out.

You're mostly right, I am looking for that kind of lifestyle, but at the same time I'd like the balance that a degree apprenticeship provides with actually being able to earn money. I'm hoping to find the right balance between a work and social life. I'm hoping that if I do choose to do a degree apprenticeship, I don't become so tied down with both work and studying that I end up becoming a social recluse in a city that I am unfamiliar with. The job and degree would come first obviously, that would be the whole point in me going through this trouble to relocate, but my eagerness for the "party lifestyle" comes mainly from the fact that I won't know anyone in the city.

Could you tell me about your experiences making friends with the people on your apprenticeship? (Thanks for answering btw)
Original post by GroovyLu
You're mostly right, I am looking for that kind of lifestyle, but at the same time I'd like the balance that a degree apprenticeship provides with actually being able to earn money. I'm hoping to find the right balance between a work and social life. I'm hoping that if I do choose to do a degree apprenticeship, I don't become so tied down with both work and studying that I end up becoming a social recluse in a city that I am unfamiliar with. The job and degree would come first obviously, that would be the whole point in me going through this trouble to relocate, but my eagerness for the "party lifestyle" comes mainly from the fact that I won't know anyone in the city.

Could you tell me about your experiences making friends with the people on your apprenticeship? (Thanks for answering btw)

So I'm from Birmingham as well, and obviously JLR are one of the big apprentice providers in the area. It's quite easy to make friends, there's loads of people the same age, just moved to a new area and all starting with the same company, going into study.

About the only difference between this and uni is here, you're hung over at weekend, and can actually afford what you're drinking, rather than living off someone else's money.

If you took a degree apprenticeship at a big company, you'd easily make friends, and you'd all be in the same boat, you'd all be just out of school, wanting your independence from your parents, with the money to do it.

You'd definitely be able to enjoy yourself, but the difference is, if you turn up to uni drunk/hungover they might throw you out the lecture. If you turn up to work in that state, you'll not last too long.
Reply 5
So I'm from Birmingham as well, and obviously JLR are one of the big apprentice providers in the area. It's quite easy to make friends, there's loads of people the same age, just moved to a new area and all starting with the same company, going into study.

About the only difference between this and uni is here, you're hung over at weekend, and can actually afford what you're drinking, rather than living off someone else's money.

If you took a degree apprenticeship at a big company, you'd easily make friends, and you'd all be in the same boat, you'd all be just out of school, wanting your independence from your parents, with the money to do it.

You'd definitely be able to enjoy yourself, but the difference is, if you turn up to uni drunk/hungover they might throw you out the lecture. If you turn up to work in that state, you'll not last too long.

Well that really is a lot of reassurance. Did you move into shared accommodations with your friends from the apprenticeship or did you stay at home? If you did move or know of people who moved, how would you advise organising it? Do you meet at the interview first and stay in touch with numbers/Facebook Groups? Or could you even use the forums on TSR to find people who are on the same apprenticeship scheme?
Well that really is a lot of reassurance. Did you move into shared accommodations with your friends from the apprenticeship or did you stay at home? If you did move or know of people who moved, how would you advise organising it? Do you meet at the interview first and stay in touch with numbers/Facebook Groups? Or could you even use the forums on TSR to find people who are on the same apprenticeship scheme?

I stayed home, made more sense to me than spending money for the sake of it.
When we started they set up a Facebook group for new starters that year, people found houses and advertised for people to share with.
I was fortunate that so many people from my assessment centre got in, I knew at least half a dozen people when I started. TSR forums also helped get chatting to people.
Reply 7
I stayed home, made more sense to me than spending money for the sake of it.
When we started they set up a Facebook group for new starters that year, people found houses and advertised for people to share with.
I was fortunate that so many people from my assessment centre got in, I knew at least half a dozen people when I started. TSR forums also helped get chatting to people.

That sounds great! Hopefully I'll be able to set up a way to relocate just before the starting date of the apprenticeship. I have a part time job currently so I should be able to pursue it somehow.

Thanks for your help again!
That sounds great! Hopefully I'll be able to set up a way to relocate just before the starting date of the apprenticeship. I have a part time job currently so I should be able to pursue it somehow.

Thanks for your help again!

No worries, feel free to drop me a message if you need anything else.
Do you have an apprenticeship lined up?
Reply 9
No worries, feel free to drop me a message if you need anything else.
Do you have an apprenticeship lined up?

Not yet. Right now I'm just making a list of all the apprenticeships that I am interested in. Later this month I'm going to prioritise them into an order of which ones I want to do most and which ones I feel indifferent about. Then I'll start applying to them all in November.

My original plan was to just do one in Birmingham but I realised I didn't want to sacrifice really good potential opportunities just because of their distance. I also really want the independent living experience. I've also been looking into the accommodations and they all seem reasonable considering all the bills are included.

I'll be sure to leave you a message if I have any more questions. Thanks again. :biggrin:
The first person answered all the questions the same as I would. I do one for Barclays now (all over the country). It is extremely hard work doing a 3 year degree, chartered management portfolio and having a full time job. My advice would be if you're looking for the party lifestyle then go to uni properly. However, I do enjoy having 90% of the student benefits but actually having money to spend (I have been lucky enough to stay at home with my parents)
How do I apply for a degree apprenticeship, I live in London and I'm in my final year of a-levels?
I also have looked for some, but they're all starting this year, and none for 2018 when I finish yr13, so when do the applications start for that year?
Reply 12
Original post by darshans_singh
How do I apply for a degree apprenticeship, I live in London and I'm in my final year of a-levels?
I also have looked for some, but they're all starting this year, and none for 2018 when I finish yr13, so when do the applications start for that year?

They'll be opening shortly and run parallel to the university applications.
I work tues-fri and have mon off as study leave and almost all uni study is done online so for me there's no point living close to the uni. Living closer to the workplace might be better depending on your apprenticeship timetable and where you'll spend more of your time.
I have a question? Do you do the same work as the other university students or is the content cut down abit since ur only going in once a week? Because i wanna switch from my mech eng degree to a degree apprenticeship for mech eng so i can rather work and have less work from uni
Original post by notyameen
I have a question? Do you do the same work as the other university students or is the content cut down abit since ur only going in once a week? Because i wanna switch from my mech eng degree to a degree apprenticeship for mech eng so i can rather work and have less work from uni

You’re replying to a very old thread...
But as someone who has completed a degree apprenticeship studying mechanical engineering, I can tell you you’d have more free time as a full time student. You don’t get summer breaks, you have to work and usually use the spare time to do the apprenticeship portfolio work etc.

I worked/studied 8am to 10pm 7 days a week for about 3-4 months a year, and then 8-10 for 4 or 5 days a week for the the remaining months.
Original post by Chris2892
You’re replying to a very old thread...
But as someone who has completed a degree apprenticeship studying mechanical engineering, I can tell you you’d have more free time as a full time student. You don’t get summer breaks, you have to work and usually use the spare time to do the apprenticeship portfolio work etc.

I worked/studied 8am to 10pm 7 days a week for about 3-4 months a year, and then 8-10 for 4 or 5 days a week for the the remaining months.

Hi thanks for replying but its not the free time im worried about i would love to work and earn money. The only thing concerning me is the teaching/exams/work from uni is it a HIGH amount like i got when i was in uni or is it a considerable amount considering the fact your probably going in once a week or in my case 1 week every 6 weeks.
Hi thanks for replying but its not the free time im worried about i would love to work and earn money. The only thing concerning me is the teaching/exams/work from uni is it a HIGH amount like i got when i was in uni or is it a considerable amount considering the fact your probably going in once a week or in my case 1 week every 6 weeks.

You usually cover half the modules in one part time academic year that you would cover full time.

So take what you experienced full time, and cut it in half. Deadlines and assignment content are usually the same.
I see what your saying but i have a couple more questions regarding this as its mainly the uni work which is bothering me, so if your saying its cut down by half that means essentially the work load is cut down too but coursework and other deadlines are the same?So does this mean uni work wise its easier in a way because everyone keeps telling me oh a degree apprenticeship is 5x harder than a normal degree.Also im not too fussed about free time to party and what not its more about time for myself. I usually hop on playstation with my friends but due to uni work and self teaching i couldnt cause of covid too so i was wondering free time for myself on weekends is it possible or will it be the same as full time uni?Plus its manufacturing engineering as well
I see what your saying but i have a couple more questions regarding this as its mainly the uni work which is bothering me, so if your saying its cut down by half that means essentially the work load is cut down too but coursework and other deadlines are the same?So does this mean uni work wise its easier in a way because everyone keeps telling me oh a degree apprenticeship is 5x harder than a normal degree.Also im not too fussed about free time to party and what not its more about time for myself. I usually hop on playstation with my friends but due to uni work and self teaching i couldnt cause of covid too so i was wondering free time for myself on weekends is it possible or will it be the same as full time uni?Plus its manufacturing engineering as well

Yes, uni workload is cut down by half, but I’m not sure if the distribution of assignments is any better. I had all mine in second semester some years. I found uni quite easy relative to the projects I was given at work. It’s quite subjective in assessment, introductory level, and has very limited resources for students. I’ll never touch a student version of software again.

You should have free time on evenings for most of the year. But there will be the occasional months where you’ll have to use most of your time to complete work.

It doesn’t help if you have to commute to work. Weekdays might mean you’re out until 6pm. Leaving you little time to get stuff done. I used to stay back at work until 10pm doing uni work until the traffic had cleared.

You end up in a cycle of - I can’t chill out and game because I have too much work, but I can’t keep working or I’ll burn out.

Best thing you can do is learn how to be efficient in planning assignments, writing lit reviews, and revising. Also, make sure there is something you can do with mates to chill, the workload can drive you insane from both employment and uni. You also have to do a portfolio qualification for your apprenticeship alongside academic study, but I usually left all my work for this until the summer time.

2 of the 3 apprentices I worked with did manufacturing engineering. They had the same experience as I did regarding work load, although their part-time class size was tiny in comparison.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending