The Student Room Group

I want to learn Programming...

Hi I want to learn programming to prepare for my first year of Computer Science at the University of Southampton (which mainly use JAVA) . I was wondering where is the best places I could learn JAVA and maybe some basic fundamentals of computer science which would prepare me for my first year?

Thanks, please be specific and provide some resources. :smile:
Original post by Kira Yagami
Hi I want to learn programming to prepare for my first year of Computer Science at the University of Southampton (which mainly use JAVA) . I was wondering where is the best places I could learn JAVA and maybe some basic fundamentals of computer science which would prepare me for my first year?

https://www.codecademy.com/learn/learn-java
Original post by mirrightf
If you really want to learn coding, start with Codecademy and Treehouse website. Those are famous websites that can teach you to code interactively offering well-structured courses. But honestly, I personally don't use my coding experience at all now. I create websites from professionally designed premium wordpress templates . This way to design websites saves me much time and nerves, really:smile:

Thanks. What did you do at university and at which uni? Anything else you think I should do to prepare for my degree? Thanks :smile:
Thanks. What did you do at university and at which uni? Anything else you think I should do to prepare for my degree? Thanks :smile:

Some programming theory would help you a lot. Getting your head around multiple nested FOR loops for instance. That is quite a big leap, especially if they have conditions in them. The only other thing that requires preparation is for the boredom of Databases. Some work experience in that regard would be perfect too.

Buy a programming book for your particular choice, then read parts and try and put it into practice. That could be very useful. My brother has a C++ book which is very good.
Reply 5
Same here . I want to study computer science at university too . Code academy is a good website as well as khan academy .
Thanks. I have zero experience so I am inquiring about how I should start.
Reply 7
start with C++
On account of the programming language you are giving the right advice. C ++ is a versatile tool. Along the way, I recommend further study of Java. This programming language is now in great demand. You can ask the professionals that it is better to study http://wezom.com/services/landing_page It is also necessary to consider his future activity.
(edited 7 years ago)
From my own experience, the online program that I feel best taught me to understand what I was doing and the core principals of thinking computationally was CS50 on edx.

It 's in C not Java, but something you will soon come to learn is that the language is not what's important. Understanding the process of solving a problem with an algorithm is the hard part, it's easier to learn a language than that concept. All the other sites I've tried felt like box ticking exercises I wasn't learning anything from, but CS50 really instilled some useful skills in me regardless of the language it uses.
You can check codeacademy / treehouse they offer various courses in different kind of PL.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending