The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both languages?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by nerdcry
yes i can

What languages can you think in?
Original post by rambapa
But you could make yourself think in Hindi, Urdu and Haryanvi? What age did you learn these languages?

Yes. Hmm..English, Hindi, and Haryanvi I've learnt like a native, because I've been speaking them all my life but in different places ( Haryanvi at home, English and Hindi at school and just generally talking with people because everyone just knows it lol) and Urdu I've learnt from my friends, it's very similar to Hindi , so yeah.
Reply 122
Original post by thesarcasticone
Yes. Hmm..English, Hindi, and Haryanvi I've learnt like a native, because I've been speaking them all my life but in different places ( Haryanvi at home, English and Hindi at school and just generally talking with people because everyone just knows it lol) and Urdu I've learnt from my friends, it's very similar to Hindi , so yeah.

So do you normally just stick to thinking in English or do you keep switching between your 4 languages? Can you think in any other languages, apart from these 4?
Original post by rambapa
So do you normally just stick to thinking in English or do you keep switching between your 4 languages? Can you think in any other languages, apart from these 4?

Woah you seem to have a lot of questions haha- just English, unless I'm actually made aware of it, you know? I guess it's because I speak English the most of all. And nah mate, how do you expect me to think in a language I don't know.
Reply 124
Woah you seem to have a lot of questions haha- just English, unless I'm actually made aware of it, you know? I guess it's because I speak English the most of all. And nah mate, how do you expect me to think in a language I don't know.

When you mean "made aware of it", do you mean when you consciously force yourself to think in hindi etc?
Original post by rambapa
When you mean "made aware of it", do you mean when you consciously force yourself to think in hindi etc?

Yeah, could say that, it doesn't happen much though. If I'm talking to someone entirely in Hindi (bc otherwise I somehow end up mixing it up and talking in English again), then I'm forced to think in Hindi, am I not? That's how.
Reply 126
Yeah, could say that, it doesn't happen much though. If I'm talking to someone entirely in Hindi (bc otherwise I somehow end up mixing it up and talking in English again), then I'm forced to think in Hindi, am I not? That's how.

Can you force yourself to think in hindi when thinking on your own?
Original post by rambapa
Can you force yourself to think in hindi when thinking on your own?

All right last one- yes, but I usually don't bc English is easier for me.
Reply 128
All right last one- yes, but I usually don't bc English is easier for me.

So technically that means you think in English, Hindi, Haryani and Urdu?
Original post by rambapa
So technically that means you think in English, Hindi, Haryani and Urdu?

Yes, my friend, yes. *sigh*

I'm out now
Reply 130
Yes, my friend, yes. *sigh*

I'm out now

Thanks for your help, sir
Reply 131
Bump
Reply 132
Bump
Thing is, when I'm speaking English, I think in English. However, if I start speaking French, after a while my 'English filter' will switch off, so I won't be translating the words in my head but simply speaking and listening in French as I would in English, if that makes sense...
Reply 134
Original post by SimonN1504
Thing is, when I'm speaking English, I think in English. However, if I start speaking French, after a while my 'English filter' will switch off, so I won't be translating the words in my head but simply speaking and listening in French as I would in English, if that makes sense...

When you think on your own, which language do you use?
Apparently Queen Elizabeth II (Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. ) dreams in German!

Because British royalty isn't British. Long live the Glorious Revolution and English civil war V2.0
(edited 7 years ago)
English. That's basically my default setting. I do sometimes try to think in French, just to keep fluent, but I do naturally think in English.
Original post by rambapa

My automatic thinking is in English, though I can manually think in other languages.
Reply 138
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
My automatic thinking is in English, though I can manually think in other languages.

What languages can you think in? What age did you learn these languages?
Reply 139
Bump

Quick Reply

Latest