The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2016/2017

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1475523987.208356.jpg
Original post by Nuba123
Im so sorry but could you possibly put a picture up of the working? I managed to get -4 when i differentiated but I'm a tad lost beyond that.
Thanks.

Hello, I got your question during a lecture and noted the answer down but it seems I forgot to upload it. Here's the answer to the differentiation part anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JP298

Hello, I got your question during a lecture and noted the answer down but it seems I forgot to upload it. Here's the answer to the differentiation part anyway

OMG haha thank you so much! This is great! :biggrin: I've been working on integration tonight and it's making sense! Still making silly mistakes with trig but on the whole much better. Will be working on curve sketching straight after. So this is great. :smile:
Yo you didn't have to do it during the lecture lol but THANKS :biggrin: :biggrin:
Reply 82
[QUOTE="Nuba123;67875314"]
Original post by JP298

OMG haha thank you so much! This is great! :biggrin: I've been working on integration tonight and it's making sense! Still making silly mistakes with trig but on the whole much better. Will be working on curve sketching straight after. So this is great. :smile:
Yo you didn't have to do it during the lecture lol but THANKS :biggrin: :biggrin:

My pleasure :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, this is a higher question.

I was just wondering when a question asks you to find the st.pts on a curve and determine their nature, do I need to draw a sketch ? When it says determine their nature does that mean a sketch is needed or is the nature table enough ?

Thanks
Someone mind helping me with practice questions for my higher unit assessment?
Will just post link, already posted it elsewhere
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67875824&t=4350316#post67875824
Original post by Ethan100
Hey, this is a higher question.

I was just wondering when a question asks you to find the st.pts on a curve and determine their nature, do I need to draw a sketch ? When it says determine their nature does that mean a sketch is needed or is the nature table enough ?

Thanks

If the question asks you to determine the nature that's all you have to do - include nature table. If it's looking for a sketch it will ask you to do so.

Eg Determine the stationary points of BLAH and sketch the curve.
:smile:
Original post by Nuba123
Haha, yeah lol it's not ideal. Are you doing AH maths all by yourself??? OMG I wouldn't be able to do that. I'm currently using SCHOLAR some of the content is started to make sense. So now I've realised that I'm taking it more seriously. :smile:

Have you got the Maths in action book? Is well worth getting.

Yeah, along with Mechanics and A Level physics.
Original post by DonAchille
Have you got the Maths in action book? Is well worth getting.

Yeah, along with Mechanics and A Level physics.

No, I don't have it yet... But my teacher crisis has been sorted. We've got a new teacher who can teach. Our head has ordered textbooks - hopefully it's that one. :smile: Thanks for the advice. :smile: If you don't mind me asking are you home--schooled?
Original post by Nuba123
No, I don't have it yet... But my teacher crisis has been sorted. We've got a new teacher who can teach. Our head has ordered textbooks - hopefully it's that one. :smile: Thanks for the advice. :smile: If you don't mind me asking are you home--schooled?

No, I'm a mature student looking to change career and directions :smile:. That's great news!
Original post by DonAchille
No, I'm a mature student looking to change career and directions :smile:. That's great news!

That's great to hear! Was just wondering how you were doing A-level and advanced higher at the same time. :biggrin:
Hi. Can anyone help me with the question below?...I know that I need to differentiate to find the stationary points and find the second derivative to show the value is a maximum, but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. Thanks in advance.

Differentiation.png
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ___Sophie___
Someone mind helping me with practice questions for my higher unit assessment?
Will just post link, already posted it elsewhere
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=67875824&t=4350316#post67875824

How did you do in your assessment? :smile:
You can divide the first derivative by cos2(theta) to get an expression in terms of tan to make it easier
Original post by Mystery.
You can divide the first derivative by cos2(theta) to get an expression in terms of tan to make it easier

You have to be slightly careful when dividing by trigonometric functions. For example, what is wrong with the working below?

Find θ\theta for 2cos3θ+sin2θsinθcosθ=02\cos^3 \theta + \sin 2 \theta\sin\theta - \cos \theta = 0

Move cosθ\cos \theta to the other side: 2cos3θ+sin2θsinθ=cosθ2\cos^3 \theta + \sin 2 \theta\sin\theta = \cos \theta

Expand sin2θ=2sinθcosθ\sin 2\theta = 2\sin \theta \cos \theta:
2cos3θ+2sin2θcosθ=cosθ2\cos^3 \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta\cos\theta = \cos \theta

Divide through by cosθ\cos \theta: 2cos2θ+2sin2θ=2(sin2θ+cos2θ)=12\cos^2 \theta + 2 \sin^2 \theta = 2 \left(\sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta \right) = 1

Substitute sin2θ+cos2θ=1\sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta = 1:
2(sin2θ+cos2θ)=2=12 \left(\sin^2 \theta + \cos^2 \theta \right) = 2 = 1 ????
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1477779029.256257.jpg

I'm confused as to what the 'dt' means????

Is it one of things where it equals one or do I have to solve to find out dt?

HELP PLS

Posted from TSR Mobile
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1477779139.510661.jpg

Trying to prepare for my assessment and stuck on these two as well!!!!!!

Maths is impossible this year

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jeff458(#18)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1477779029.256257.jpg

I'm confused as to what the 'dt' means????

Is it one of things where it equals one or do I have to solve to find out dt?

HELP PLS

Posted from TSR Mobile

it just mean integrate with respect to t.
Basically they have just put the dt on top of the fraction because its (1/denominator )dt

can't be bothered with latex sorry. hope it makes sense.
Original post by Jeff458(#18)
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1477779139.510661.jpg

Trying to prepare for my assessment and stuck on these two as well!!!!!!

Maths is impossible this year

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the first one use product rule and for the second just differentiate twice using product rule.
Have to say maths is probably my most enjoyable subjects this year. :biggrin:
Original post by Nuba123
Have to say maths is probably my most enjoyable subjects this year. :biggrin:

You're lucky then!

I have had a Biology test last week, got another this week, had a Chemistry test last week and I have a Maths test this week now.

When you realise you know nothing and you begin to panick...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending