The Student Room Group

Job advice!!!!!

I am currently working at Sports Direct. I am currently 17 years old and the minimum wage for people my age is I think £3.87? So I am earning £4.07 an hour. The dilemma is that I am turning 18 in December therefore my minimum wage would arise to the one for 18 year olds which is £5.35. As I am doing my A Levels, I would not like to be under pressure from work so basically do I need to tell my manager I'm turning 18 which although would increase my wage would in turn also increase the hours I am able to work? Do you think the manager would know himself like would it come up on their date base or whatever?
Think it usually it would be picked up by who ever handles wages, but I don't see the harm in telling your manager too.
The minimum wage has changed. It's now four pounds for under eighteens and 5.55 for 18 to 20 year olds. Yes your wage will go up no your hours won't change. Having a birthday doesn't mean you're suddenly free all the time and they'll know this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
the wages should go up automatically, I never told my employer when I turned 18

don't worry about telling them you're 18, the hours available are unlikely to change and if they ask you to work more just say you can't due to school
Original post by adnan0987
I am currently working at Sports Direct. I am currently 17 years old and the minimum wage for people my age is I think £3.87? So I am earning £4.07 an hour. The dilemma is that I am turning 18 in December therefore my minimum wage would arise to the one for 18 year olds which is £5.35. As I am doing my A Levels, I would not like to be under pressure from work so basically do I need to tell my manager I'm turning 18 which although would increase my wage would in turn also increase the hours I am able to work? Do you think the manager would know himself like would it come up on their date base or whatever?

Hopefully it should get picked up by them, but it wouldnt hurt to tell your manager anyway, just to be safe.
Original post by doodle_333
the wages should go up automatically, I never told my employer when I turned 18

don't worry about telling them you're 18, the hours available are unlikely to change and if they ask you to work more just say you can't due to school

It does depend on where you work though, not all places might be like yours. We have to tell a certain manager where i work.

Why do you think you will be asked to work more hours?
Just make sure they pay you the increased rate.

If you are that concerned speak to your manager and confirm you are happy on your current hours.
Reply 7
but what about in Christmas time ? Won't my hours go up a lot ? And also how much do you think I'll get paid working through Christmas and Boxing Day ?
but what about in Christmas time ? Won't my hours go up a lot ? And also how much do you think I'll get paid working through Christmas and Boxing Day ?

if you're contracted to X number of hours they can't force you to work more than that number (in theory, obviously in practice they can just fire you for refusing)... it's pretty normal for people to be asked to work some overtime over the christmas period or for stores to have days/weeks where you can't take holiday but usually there is some negotiation room with the number of hours

different stores do different things, some places pay double time/triple time, some pay time and a half (I worked somewhere which was time and a third, how pathetic!) for particular days over christmas, again it's up to the store to decide which days qualify for extra pay but usually it's boxing day, NYE and new years day, sometimes christmas eve too - just ask your boss what the pay policy is for christmas, or ask another memebr of staff who's been there longer

I work for Sports Direct too as a part timer and I am also at uni. When I turned 21 I never told a manager and my wages p/h automatically went up, and my hours never increased during term time unless I specifically say. But as you'll be turning 18 it'll mean longer shifts for you, e.g. you may end up doing say a 9-7 shift. But if they do try and make you do shifts/hours you can't do then just tell them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your hours may go up during school holidays. And during Christmas and Boxing Day it'll be the usual hourly rate, so no double pay or whatever

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending