The Student Room Group

jamestg's journey to Durham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
And 12 days later... I am back lol but things are much better.

So I really need this to keep myself on my toes (and motivated!). Therefore I'll be posting my progress each day!

I've got all of my uni choices and I'm hoping to get at least 3 offers lmao.

(in order of preference)
St Mary's College, Durham
St Catherine's College, Cambridge
Bath
Surrey
Warwick

Not expecting anything for Cambridge, but I fell in love with Durham (especially St Mary's College). Bath was pretty good but I wasn't blown away. Hoping for Surrey to be my insurance. Applying to Warwick for the lols.
Good luck, nice to see you back.
Let's see what offers you get!
Reply 62
Well today and yesterday has been productive!

A lot of C3 work has been completed and I'm (slowly) making progress. Not feeling too confident with the test, perhaps I need to hit the textbook in prep for the first complete C3 test on Thursday...

About to finish planning my 45 marker for politics, jesus it's big but hey ho. Hoping to get a B because it's a fairly nice question, just obviously not too experienced with A2 essay styles and the actual content though.

Need to start doing work at 5pm each day and not 6/7. Hate having to work this late and then wake up moody :frown:
Original post by jamestg
Well today and yesterday has been productive!

A lot of C3 work has been completed and I'm (slowly) making progress. Not feeling too confident with the test, perhaps I need to hit the textbook in prep for the first complete C3 test on Thursday...

About to finish planning my 45 marker for politics, jesus it's big but hey ho. Hoping to get a B because it's a fairly nice question, just obviously not too experienced with A2 essay styles and the actual content though.

Need to start doing work at 5pm each day and not 6/7. Hate having to work this late and then wake up moody :frown:

How many hours do you do per night?
Reply 64
Original post by citibankrec
How many hours do you do per night?

Depends on the work. But usually I don't go past 11.30, unless something is really urgent.

I usually assign myself tasks to complete instead of x no. of hours though, that way I tend to get more stuff done!
Original post by jamestg
Depends on the work. But usually I don't go past 11.30, unless something is really urgent.

I usually assign myself tasks to complete instead of x no. of hours though, that way I tend to get more stuff done!

Ah okay, I normally go hours so I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Reply 66
So the end of another week has come.

Maths
Lots and lots of C3 revision has been completed for the A2 prediction test we had on Thursday. Hope I get at least 75%, although a B it isn't unreasonable to expect to go up 15% (to an A*) in 9 months. Will spread the past papers out more this year and will ruthlessly go through the textbook for questions on anything I get wrong. C3 is now complete and I'm onto C4 and S1. C4 partial fractions are pretty good and I'm days away from starting S1.

Politics
Been doing some essay planning and a bit of reading here and there. Need to get my act together to get predicted an A* though. Have started a revision powerpoint that's going pretty well, will need to keep it up.

History
Lots of reading for the coursework! I managed to read a book from the 1800s on witchcraft which was pretty cool although it got quite boring towards the end of it. Today I found out I am being predicted an A, and to my amazement they considered an A* however they've had "many excellent students" not achieve an A* prediction so she wants to keep mine reasonable. I'm more than happy with an A... as long as Politics is an A* lol.

UCAS
I've finished my personal statement and all of my uni choices. Below is the 'snapshot' from UCAS Apply outlining my choices! Will be applying once I know my predictions for Maths and Politics - praying both are A*s - and that my references have been checked through by the Oxbridge coordinator at my school to make sure they're good.

Screen Shot 2016-09-30 at 23.32.16BST.png

Overall, a pretty productive week! Just need to get stuck into these revision powerpoints!
Original post by jamestg
So the end of another week has come.

Lots and lots of C3 revision has been completed for the A2 prediction test we had on Thursday. Hope I get at least 75%, although a B it isn't unreasonable to expect to go up 15% (to an A*) in 9 months. Will spread the past papers out more this year and will ruthlessly go through the textbook for questions on anything I get wrong.

Good luck, even going from 50% to 100% in 9 months isn't unreasonable. It's the start of the 1st month or even term, no one would expect an A now lol. But, since you've done work in the holidays for a long time and you've finished C3 it's good because you can already expect around 75% (at least u said :redface:) so 90% should be good and easy unless you make mistakes in the exam which you hopefully won't.

Good luck for UCAS applications lol some highly ranked universities there, definitely for my course - Maths!! I would apply to all of those lol!
I'd like to follow you journey , my son applying for economincs but for lesser universities. Predicted grades Eco A History B and Maths C , he's also starting S1 so would love to see if you have any tips as you go along, Maths as you can see is he weak point. You seem so dedicated, it's a joy to see.
Original post by Mumofson
I'd like to follow you journey , my son applying for economincs but for lesser universities. Predicted grades Eco A History B and Maths C , he's also starting S1 so would love to see if you have any tips as you go along, Maths as you can see is he weak point. You seem so dedicated, it's a joy to see.

What universities? :smile:

Your son also has the chance to retake maths units. After a2 C1+C2 will be a breeze which would boost his grade.
Original post by citibankrec
What universities? :smile:

Your son also has the chance to retake maths units. After a2 C1+C2 will be a breeze which would boost his grade.

He hasn't decided fully but we realise a BA is the best way to go as less Maths based, he likes the look of Reading the best, another option is Leicester and Sussex but we are still looking at who offers BA, he's now got a private Maths teacher and yes he's got to take C1 C2 and D1 again, he's not a natural mathematician and somehow has to try really hard and get that C grade, even then he's a grade short of entry requirements to nearly all of the "middle type universities" requirements eg they want ABB. He's currently working on his personal statement.
(edited 7 years ago)
He hasn't decided fully but we realise a BA is the best way to go as less Maths based, he likes the look of Reading the best, another option is Leicester and Sussex but we are still looking at who offers BA, he's now got a private Maths teacher and yes he's got to take C1 C2 and D1 again, he's not a natural mathematician and somehow has to try really hard and get that C grade, even then he's a grade short of entry requirements to nearly all of the "middle type universities" requirements eg they want ABB. He's currently working on his personal statement.

Good Luck! I hope his hard work pays off!

Reading and Leicester are great universities.
Reply 72

Welcome aboard! I'll think of tips as I go along, and my tip for now is to do a few questions each day! Or if that gets too time consuming, just a variety of questions with different styles and formats - as I'm sure you son will say, it's pretty important and this year particularly the style of some questions didn't match past papers!

Reading is great for economics! If your son works really hard he'll easily get a B/C in Maths, as @citibankrec says - the AS units become very easy after A2. My sixth form isn't great, but with a few papers before the exam most people who retook got As and quite a few got into the 90% mark.

BA is probably the best way to go, but be warned some unis have their degrees as BA or BSci just because of tradition and some BSci courses may be less mathsy than some BA courses. The best way to go about choosing is looking at the number of compulsory maths modules.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jamestg
Welcome aboard! I'll think of tips as I go along, and my tip for now is to do a few questions each day! Or if that gets too time consuming, just a variety of questions with different styles and formats - as I'm sure you son will say, is pretty important and this year particular the style of some questions didn't match past papers!

Reading is great for economics! If your son works really hard he'll easily get a B/C in Maths, as @citibankrec says - the AS units become very easy after A2. My sixth form isn't great, but with a few papers before the exam most people who retook got As and quite a few got into the 90% mark.

BA is probably the best way to go, but be warned some unis have their degrees as BA or BSci just because of tradition and some BSci courses may be less mathsy than some BA courses. The best way to go about choosing is looking at the number of compulsory maths modules.

Thanks James, we are not trying to even think of a B in Maths, I don't think we could get our hopes up that much. I just hope he's going to cope with the Maths this year, I had to fight at parents evening to get the C prediction ....if I didn't fight it more or less ment Economics was out the question for uni. I've just been reading your thread on your predictions and I think you need to think about fighting....your school doesn't seem to want to let you be on an even playing field with other schools. I've had a chat with another member on here and he explained like you we need to go and look at the modules in each BA to see what ones looked a better fit without the high end maths. I really enjoy seeing all the high flyers on this forum and I know my son isn't one of them but like to be able to point him in the right direction sometimes when I find useful things on here. I won't waffle on too much on your thread but wish you all the best and I'll keep watching you for tips and see your motivation pay off at the end of the school year when you are successful.
Reply 74
Thanks James, we are not trying to even think of a B in Maths, I don't think we could get our hopes up that much. I just hope he's going to cope with the Maths this year, I had to fight at parents evening to get the C prediction ....if I didn't fight it more or less ment Economics was out the question for uni. I've just been reading your thread on your predictions and I think you need to think about fighting....your school doesn't seem to want to let you be on an even playing field with other schools. I've had a chat with another member on here and he explained like you we need to go and look at the modules in each BA to see what ones looked a better fit without the high end maths. I really enjoy seeing all the high flyers on this forum and I know my son isn't one of them but like to be able to point him in the right direction sometimes when I find useful things on here. I won't waffle on too much on your thread but wish you all the best and I'll keep watching you for tips and see your motivation pay off at the end of the school year when you are successful.

Thank you! Good luck to your son!

I'm sure he'll do great and don't forget, it's not rare people do better at A2 than AS :-) (especially as econ and history are linear - that's a potential advantage to gain a better understanding of content over a much longer period of time!)

I'd recommend the 'access to history' books for AS revision, they're really concise and offer good interpretations of the content. They're quite old but the content for history never changes, and there's nothing wrong with going a bit over the specification as it's all technically relevant.
Good luck my friend!

Like you I'm also trying to get a top grade but instead in psychology where I'm self-teaching myself in my gap year.

I'll sure be following your posts

The mega, main, best tip is to simply use this forum. It's too good. But in all seriousness, if your son struggles with A2 maths which he is most likely to do so as it is way different to AS in terms of calculus and the new content learnt, then he should continuously make threads on this forum for any subject whether it's maths, eco or history. They're genius' out here, no really there are xD! Anyway, I'd also recommend to maybe retake C1 and literally get 100 UMS in it, this time round, I'm pretty sure he'll go 1-2 grades up as a result at AS (from a C to a high B or an A). The reason I'm saying this is because C3 and C4 make C1 look like a joke. Once he starts coping with them, he could probably learn C1 in like 1 week because it'd just be to easy. Also, all the modules link to each other somewhat so in a way he requires C1 knowledge I guess. Maybe retake C2 as well? But it's slightly harder and different as your son knows, lot more different content so maybe not. Personally, I don't enjoy it lol.

Also, good luck to your son :smile:. Feel free to ask me for any help in C1 personally through private message if you want on your sons behalf, maybe C2 as well but I'm not really confident on that so maybe not :biggrin:. Also, I'll be learning S1 eventually so that too! Who knows, maybe your son can help me? :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 77
Predicted an A* for politics :-)

Also have been entered for the ECAA (Cambridge economics) entrance exam next month, eeeek! I'll start prepping tonight.
Original post by jamestg
Predicted an A* for politics :-)

Also have been entered for the ECAA (Cambridge economics) entrance exam next month, eeeek! I'll start prepping tonight.

Good luck buddy, you've got this! I know you can do it, let's hope you can stun us and get an offer from Cambridge xD. I know for a fact though, if you do - you'll work your ass off lol because it'll change you, you'll just be so happy and determined to get literally 3 A*s then :biggrin:. I really hope it works out for you :smile:!
Reply 79
Original post by Chittesh14
Good luck buddy, you've got this! I know you can do it, let's hope you can stun us and get an offer from Cambridge xD. I know for a fact though, if you do - you'll work your ass off lol because it'll change you, you'll just be so happy and determined to get literally 3 A*s then :biggrin:. I really hope it works out for you :smile:!

Hahaha thank you!!

I'm going to work so hard for the entrance exam so I can get an interview! Then I'll obviously work even harder for the interview :smile:

Hope your AS subjects are going well so far! :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending