The Student Room Group

Is it unusual to be in the situation I am in? Unemployment

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Princepieman
Nah, it's quite standard nowadays.

Just gotta keep gritting your teeth, apply to any and every job that tickles your fancy, maybe do some volunteering in the meanwhile, network aggressively and ultimately hope for the best.

Maybe you need to reassess why you're getting rejected? Also remember there are plenty of options out there outside of the city law firm TC/Vac Scheme sphere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Princepieman, I managed to set up a final stage interview today for a call centre job with Vodafone. I would be very glad if I could get it and settle in.

Also , I don't feel as isolated anymore after reading this thread and finding out that it is not unusual to be in the situation that I am in, that it is just a sign of the times.

I just want to get the job and then I will have an income to fuel further savings and an opportunity to invest and create passive income.
Original post by cbreef
I pity them, work their arse off for 4 to 5 years to struggle to find a reasonable job which they studied for.

Its that saying isn't it; Beggars can't be choosers.

How about studying AND working at the same time?
I had to work three jobs during university, simply because I had to. Money doesn't exactly grow on trees and my parents aren't exactly millionaires either!

When graduates do find a job but learn its for little pay they reject it and complain that they can't find a job!

This is how I see it - accept a job with little pay and then work my way up; progress within the company. That way it shows that sign of appreciation for my efforts.
Original post by cbreef
I pity them, work their arse off for 4 to 5 years to struggle to find a reasonable job which they studied for.

I do not pity them one little bit. They should know what they are getting into, if they can't find a job then that's on them.
Same boat really, recently been made redundant after 2 years and there's just nothing out there. It doesn't help that i'm not 100% sure what my ideal job is, and the few jobs I do find will nearly always require experience that I don't have.

I could put my CV up on a job site and then let people come to me, but then I get spammed to death with Recruitment Consultant jobs or agencies putting me through for completely unsuitable roles just to fulfill their quota for the day.

I've had a few interviews but I keep failing at the final stage, usually due to "lack of experience". Which makes me wonder why the **** they even bothered to waste my time and money with an interview when my CV is clearly available. Did they not bother to even read it?

At least I got paid off and have savings. I don't know what i'd do or how i'd cope if I had no money.
Original post by sr90
Same boat really, recently been made redundant after 2 years and there's just nothing out there. It doesn't help that i'm not 100% sure what my ideal job is, and the few jobs I do find will nearly always require experience that I don't have.

I could put my CV up on a job site and then let people come to me, but then I get spammed to death with Recruitment Consultant jobs or agencies putting me through for completely unsuitable roles just to fulfill their quota for the day.

I've had a few interviews but I keep failing at the final stage, usually due to "lack of experience". Which makes me wonder why the **** they even bothered to waste my time and money with an interview when my CV is clearly available. Did they not bother to even read it?

At least I got paid off and have savings. I don't know what i'd do or how i'd cope if I had no money.

You have a fair amount of strong experience. As have I to be honest, but I managed to last a shorter timeframe before getting the chop.

Agreed about the savings, it is a lifesaver and we are a generation that cannot afford to be frivolous with our money. Around 50% (an underestimation imo) of the country were reported by the BBC to have less than £100 in cash savings. So, quite honestly, you have done well.

THAT, that is the story of my life. I know I have moaned a fair bit sometimes on the football forum but this is the reason behind why I was moaning, that frustration from exactly the same experiences. I have a final interview at Vodafone tomorrow for a sales job and I would be happy to land that because with graduate jobs I keep hitting that wall on the final interview.
You know mate, I have the feeling they may even offer the role to someone internal because it doesn't make sense with the type of people that are rejected (people that I know of).
Original post by James.Carnell
I graduated in 2013, 2.1 in Law, RG university. Didn't have enough money to do the LPC.

I have had 9 months in total of work since I graduated, with one job per year that I have graduated so far. But my jobs have never worked out for me and I either ended up leaving or getting fired.

Through my own endeavours I have saved up near 10k, but quite honestly I don't know what the hell I am doing with my life. Is this unusual? It's just quite rare to talk about these things because you never really hear about it but you know that many people are unemployed long term. It is just that overall feeling of isolation. I know what I want to do in terms of a job, but I have found it very difficult to keep going through the rejections.

A lot of the time, I just sit through days just hoping that I get a breakthrough. I mean I have savings now, but I just feel like I am having a big existential crisis.

Hi I'm in the same boat, graduated in 2014 and it feels like ages ago now!
I completely get the isolation thing, as my friends are all in there ideal jobs or doing the LPC or ACA and know where they want to go in life... I kinda just don't. So i'm applying to varied jobs, not really knowing what i actually want, so at least you know what you want in a job! Also, you've got a good grade, and i would use any extra curricular activities on your CV, even experiences during your course would be a good addition.. like team building/presentation skills etc
Original post by musictomyears
Hi I'm in the same boat, graduated in 2014 and it feels like ages ago now!
I completely get the isolation thing, as my friends are all in there ideal jobs or doing the LPC or ACA and know where they want to go in life... I kinda just don't. So i'm applying to varied jobs, not really knowing what i actually want, so at least you know what you want in a job! Also, you've got a good grade, and i would use any extra curricular activities on your CV, even experiences during your course would be a good addition.. like team building/presentation skills etc

You graduated the same year as me and still haven't found a job yet? :/
Original post by Boreism
You graduated the same year as me and still haven't found a job yet? :/

Hi, no sorry as in a long term job, I have been in work from nov 14 to this year.. but a combination of Christmas work and contracts. Just more in the sense of perm joband a real career prospect
Hi, no sorry as in a long term job, I have been in work from nov 14 to this year.. but a combination of Christmas work and contracts. Just more in the sense of perm joband a real career prospect

You've never had permanent jobs then? Are you in employment now, if so is it permanent?

What type of contract work have you done out of interest? And did you do it all one after another, or with breaks in between?
Lol I got rejected from a call centre job with Vodafone. This is getting comical now.
I graduated in 2013, 2.1 in Law, RG university. Didn't have enough money to do the LPC.

I have had 9 months in total of work since I graduated, with one job per year that I have graduated so far. But my jobs have never worked out for me and I either ended up leaving or getting fired.

Through my own endeavours I have saved up near 10k, but quite honestly I don't know what the hell I am doing with my life. Is this unusual? It's just quite rare to talk about these things because you never really hear about it but you know that many people are unemployed long term. It is just that overall feeling of isolation. I know what I want to do in terms of a job, but I have found it very difficult to keep going through the rejections.

A lot of the time, I just sit through days just hoping that I get a breakthrough. I mean I have savings now, but I just feel like I am having a big existential crisis.

Don't beat yourself up about it. It's really common. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just talking poop to make themselves feel better.

The whys and wherefores don't necessarily matter. There are many people in the situation you describe.

Surround yourself with good people, live on a budget and use your savings wisely. It's cool man.*
Reply 52
Why not just keep on doing what you're doing to build up 10k of savings while unemployed? I can't save 2k and I'm working in a half decent full time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GNH
Why not just keep on doing what you're doing to build up 10k of savings while unemployed? I can't save 2k and I'm working in a half decent full time job.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I need a job so that I don't find myself in the situation where I can never find a job again if I need one. It is not the money I need but to appease future employers because they will question large gaps.
Lol I got rejected from a call centre job with Vodafone. This is getting comical now.

Problem is any entry level jobs won't take people like us because they know we'll be gone at the first opportunity. I know someone with a 1st in Psychology who got rejected from a job at Lush.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sr90
Problem is any entry level jobs won't take people like us because they know we'll be gone at the first opportunity. I know someone with a 1st in Psychology who got rejected from a job at Lush.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same for retail and hospitality jobs. I know quite a few people who work in a warehouse and because the role is so tedious and extremely hard work, they resigned - but only to (un?)resign because they can't find a job as they have no experience in other areas. Definitely a tough market out there.
Original post by Boreism
Same for retail and hospitality jobs. I know quite a few people who work in a warehouse and because the role is so tedious and extremely hard work, they resigned - but only to (un?)resign because they can't find a job as they have no experience in other areas. Definitely a tough market out there.

I'd rather stay unemployed and sit on my savings than ever do retail again. I worked in Next as a Supervisor when I was at uni and it was absolutely horrible. Met some lovely people but the job was awful.

It's frustrating for me because I know I interview well and have a decent CV for someone 2 years out of uni. Think my problem is i'm focusing on London which is exactly what every other graduate is doing, i'm reaching the stage where i'll just go **** it and try to take something up north on a lower salary.
Original post by sr90
I'd rather stay unemployed and sit on my savings than ever do retail again. I worked in Next as a Supervisor when I was at uni and it was absolutely horrible. Met some lovely people but the job was awful.

It's frustrating for me because I know I interview well and have a decent CV for someone 2 years out of uni. Think my problem is i'm focusing on London which is exactly what every other graduate is doing, i'm reaching the stage where i'll just go **** it and try to take something up north on a lower salary.

How are you going to explain your gaps at an interview if you were still unemployed though? I used to work at Primark which was even worse but if there was no choice of moving to another job,I would rather stay.

Not all graduates want to live in London though you know. I don't think I will cope in that type of environment and atmosphere too many people and too much of everything and even driving around is a nightmare!

Also not all graduates are self-motivated I know 2 people who live in a small town. They both can't drive so they are only looking locally and lets just say they will be staying in their warehouse job for a very long while.
Original post by Boreism
How are you going to explain your gaps at an interview if you were still unemployed though? I used to work at Primark which was even worse but if there was no choice of moving to another job,I would rather stay.

Not all graduates want to live in London though you know. I don't think I will cope in that type of environment and atmosphere too many people and too much of everything and even driving around is a nightmare!

Also not all graduates are self-motivated I know 2 people who live in a small town. They both can't drive so they are only looking locally and lets just say they will be staying in their warehouse job for a very long while.

I have a two month gap on my CV from the last time (when I had the offer but was waiting for my start date) and I have never, ever been asked about it.
Original post by sr90

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, they don't trust us. And I tried to omit graduate jobs from the CV but then they talked about gaps. I get really annoyed at this especially when companies invite you to an interview but then they say how they hire 90% of people internally anyway...

It's like why the **** did you waste my travel money then?

Also don't get me started on recruitment consultants contacting you just so that they fill their quota. Parasites.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending