The Student Room Group

Oxbridge Standards

Sorry this may be in wrong section, but I wanted to ask whether my GCSE results are good enough for Oxbridge. I go to an unnamed school where the average grade was around a B. However there were 4 or 5 students with 8 or 9 A*. This is including me, I got 8A*, 1A*withdistinction in further maths, a Distinction* in some extra ict course which everyone got the highest grade in and 3 As.
|Thanks in advance,
ps I want to study economics and management at oxford
Reply 1
Good enough.

Given you get the required A-Levels of course.
And have a good personal statement + interview + admission test.
You will have a chance

Your GCSEs will not prevent you from getting in.. I'm guessing that is what you are asking
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by AdeptDz
Good enough.

You will have a chance

Your GCSEs will not prevent you from getting in.. I'm guessing that is what you are asking

thats great news, thanks, my teacher said i might struggle with those results so was curious to find out more
Reply 3
Original post by mathssgeek
thats great news, thanks, my teacher said i might struggle with those results so was curious to find out more

Well just think about it.
There are going to be a lot of people who have all A*s and stuff so you're going to have a hard time regardless. After all, it is the best university in the world.
Even if you get all A*s it is not certain you get in although you have a good chance.
But with those GCSEs iirc you are above the average or have the average applicant GCSE grades but i believe that was for medicine honestly I forgot saw this ages ago. But yeh im guessing if it is not medicine your GCSEs are fine
Reply 4
Original post by AdeptDz
Well just think about it.
There are going to be a lot of people who have all A*s and stuff so you're going to have a hard time regardless. After all, it is the best university in the world.
Even if you get all A*s it is not certain you get in although you have a good chance.
But with those GCSEs iirc you are above the average or have the average applicant GCSE grades but i believe that was for medicine honestly I forgot saw this ages ago. But yeh im guessing if it is not medicine your GCSEs are fine

ok that's great thanks
Reply 5
Original post by AdeptDz
Good enough.

You will have a chance

I am in year 12 and plan to apply to Cambridge next year at GCSE I got 6B's and 4C's. Do I stand a chance provided I manage to get grades AAAA at AS level and have plenty of extra curricular?
Reply 6
Original post by Tinka99
I am in year 12 and plan to apply to Cambridge next year at GCSE I got 6B's and 4C's. Do I stand a chance provided I manage to get grades AAAA at AS level and have plenty of extra curricular?

Hmm, not so sure.
But speaking from sense here:
i'm guessing to stand a chance you will need like High A's not just As.
Like 95%+ high As.

Don't quote me on this but your GCSEs do put you a step back but i'm not sure whats the case if you apply with great A-levels and below average (cambridge applicants) GCSEs.
Good luck on your quest to get AAAA anyway!

Plus:
From what I've seen cambridge are more lenient on gCSEs than Oxford, but I don't know how lenient they are

Quick Reply

Latest