The Student Room Group

Tory Conference

title
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Alhacen
As a proud British Asian, I find the "suggestions" made at The Conservative Conference both offensive and outrageous. How do you feel about this issue?

As a British Sikh (getting better though) who has voted 'Brexit', UKIP in Euro elections and votes Tory in General and local, I though it was a brilliant conference, only wish I was a card carrying Tory again! I need to see what the Brexit deal is before I join again....
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by meenu89
As a British Sikh (getting better though) who has voted 'Brexit', UKIP in Euro elections and votes Tory in General and local, I though it was a brilliant conference, only wish I was a card carrying Tory again! I need to see what the Brexit deal is before I join again....

You obviously have a lot of experience--I, on the other hand, can't even vote for the next four years. But, didn't you find it racist? Do you think all the public disquiet isn't justified? I'm sorry if I sound offensive.
Reply 3
Original post by Alhacen
You obviously have a lot of experience--I, on the other hand, can't even vote for the next four years. But, didn't you find it racist? Do you think all the public disquiet isn't justified? I'm sorry if I sound offensive.

A lot of what was said was in tune with what much of the country thinks outside London.

I do have sympathy for the immigrants that have done well, move to the home counties but when you see places like Bradford then it's no suprise that there's a lot of negative sentiment.

It may be that your a patriot who is loyal only to Britain in which case a lot of the hate is probably unfounded but there are a horde of apologists and people who don't make any effort.
Original post by Rakas21
A lot of what was said was in tune with what much of the country thinks outside London.

I do have sympathy for the immigrants that have done well, move to the home counties and do attend the village fate and perhaps get a glass of orange juice in the pub with their native friends but when you see places like Bradford then it's no suprise that there's a lot of negative sentiment.

It may be that your a patriot who is loyal only to Britain in which case a lot of the hate is probably unfounded but there are a horde of apologists and people who don't make any effort.

Does visiting the local pub make one "more" British? I, for one, believe that a Pakistani-born, Eid-celebrating, bearded man that works hard for the country is just as British as your pub-going Tom, Dick and Harry. And what's happening in Bradford that justifies racism? Again, I'm sorry if I offended someone.
Reply 5
Original post by Alhacen
Does visiting the local pub make one "more" British? I, for one, believe that a Pakistani-born, Eid-celebrating, bearded man that works hard for the country is just as British as your pub-going Tom, Dick and Harry. And what's happening in Bradford that justifies racism? Again, I'm sorry if I offended someone.

My wider point was that people don't mind immigrants integrating in their communities and making friends ect.. what they don't want to see is a situation like Bradford where you've formed your own communities that don't feel British.
Original post by Alhacen
Does visiting the local pub make one "more" British?Yes - it absolutely does.

I, for one, believe that a Pakistani-born, Eid-celebrating, bearded man that works hard for the country is just as British as your pub-going Tom, Dick and Harry.

Then you're wrong. I'm not suggesting for a second that such a person is inferior, or second-class. But they are not plugged into the social and cultural structure of Britain. Holding a passport and being a subject makes you British on paper - but there's more to it than that.

There's only any debate about this because it's Britain. For any other country - it would be absolutely clear. If I move to Spain, become a citizen, but I keep my accent, associate only with ex-Pats, only speak English, only eat imported English food - how can I pretend to be anything other than a Brit living abroad, regardless of my legal status?

No-one gives a monkeys about Eid or beards or Pakistan. The problem you have is that you think there is such a thing as "pub-going Tom, Dick and Harry". That's the problem. It's you.
People have a right to be seriously concerned about the labelling of "foreigners" in workplaces and in schools. While there is nothing wrong with a state arguing that they want maximum British employment before hiring migrant labour, the new policies will serve to deepen divides. British born people who "look foreign" might notice a bit more hostility towards them now that the Tories have legitimatised the view expressed by the far-right.
Original post by Trinculo
Then you're wrong. I'm not suggesting for a second that such a person is inferior, or second-class. But they are not plugged into the social and cultural structure of Britain. Holding a passport and being a subject makes you British on paper - but there's more to it than that.

That person identifies as British. A hyphenated Brit, but a Brit nonetheless.
The problem you have is that you think there is such a thing as "pub-going Tom, Dick and Harry". That's the problem. It's you.

Touché. I apologize for the gross generalization.
Original post by Alhacen
That person identifies as British. A hyphenated Brit, but a Brit nonetheless.

Is this not one of those awful 21st century tropes, though? Where identifying as something makes it real? If the person is a British subject - they're British - end of. There's no need to identify as that same thing. The issue is that they're one thing as a legal status, but possibly another by their actions.

Touché. I apologize for the gross generalization.

Really no need.
Is this not one of those awful 21st century tropes

Hating on immigrants, is that not one of those awful 17th century tropes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending