The Student Room Group

Rejected by Tesco's Online Screening. :/

Thank you for taking the time to complete an online application…

We are sorry to tell you that you have not achieved the minimum criteria required in our automatic screening.
The online application is an important part of our selection process, therefore we are unable to progress your application any further at this stage.

However, we encourage you to review your answers before you consider applying for another role that may be of interest to you.

We would recommend you still complete your profile so our recruiters know as much as possible about you and are able to advise you correctly in the future.

We appreciate that you may be disappointed, but we would like to wish you every success with your current job search and thank you again for your time in completing the application.

Many thanks for your interest in joining Tesco.

Damn this fills me with a hate of wasting my time to fill everything out and then be rejected. I was very careful with my decisions and really don't agree with this system as I feel I can justify my choices in the questionnaire.

But the real waste of time was tailoring the CV then having to write lot's of stuff on to there site.

Scroll to see replies

loooolll apply to waitrose - the situational judgement test is so easy :biggrin:
Reply 2
dont be disheartened - many people with degrees have failed - it is a very hard test, so dont sweat it - ive failed the aldi judgement test on more than one occasion :colondollar:- maybe find work in a smaller company through indeed.co.uk or something
Reply 3
Just applied to Lidl.

I just find these online tests wrong because the choices are very similar and I feel if I was in a Interview I could respond with why I chose one option over another.
Original post by 2016_GCSE

We are sorry to tell you that you have not achieved the minimum criteria required in our automatic screening.
The online application is an important part of our selection process, therefore we are unable to progress your application any further at this stage.

However, we encourage you to review your answers before you consider applying for another role that may be of interest to you.

We would recommend you still complete your profile so our recruiters know as much as possible about you and are able to advise you correctly in the future.

We appreciate that you may be disappointed, but we would like to wish you every success with your current job search and thank you again for your time in completing the application.

Damn this fills me with a hate of wasting my time to fill everything out and then be rejected. I was very careful with my decisions and really don't agree with this system as I feel I can justify my choices in the questionnaire.

But the real waste of time was tailoring the CV then having to write lot's of stuff on to there site.

Sometimes rejection can be for the smallest of reasons, for example I applied for an asda job years ago and put I couldn't work every second Saturday (I wanted to do 2 jobs) and was automatically rejected, no matter what the rest of my application was like.

Dont take it personally, all these online things make it easy for them to reject people. I dont think ive ever gotten a job offer from doing online applications, my cv and emailing companies directly has though.

Plus think about it, I have a first class degree and i get rejected from all these online tests cos obviously my answers must not gain me enough points or im not what theyre looking for.
Just applied to Lidl.

I just find these online tests wrong because the choices are very similar and I feel if I was in a Interview I could respond with why I chose one option over another.

Yeah I did one recently and the options were very similar, just a few words extra in the sentence and you think, how can I even pick haha.

The exact same thing happened to me, even when I changed my answers. What I did was make a new account with another email, then I put in the exact same answers and got accepted. However don't bother with Tesco if you want a job straight away, their process is ridiculously long.
My sister worked at boots for 5 years, became 'legendary' and still failed their online test. I passed it and have no experience in retail

They don't make sense, but if they tell you to do a certain thing - do that, not what you would actually do. So if it says it's all about making money, do that, dont help the customer, etc. Most of them are just silly though I have to say
Reply 8
These are my answers that gave me rejection:

Question 1: You are refilling a section of shelves in the store which you need to have completed before your break. Your manager approaches you and asks you to take your break an hour earlier as one of your colleagues needs to leave early today.

Tell your manager that you cannot change the time of your break as you need to finish refilling the shelves.

Question 2: You have been serving at the checkout during your shift. It has been a quiet morning and the store has not had many customers. There are no customers waiting to be served at your checkout. A customer on the checkout next to you is struggling to pack their shopping.

Leave your checkout and help the customer to pack their shopping.

Question 3: What are your expectations of a typical day in the life of a Customer Assistant at Tesco?

Spending most of my time providing customers with excellent service and focusing on restocking and general store standards when no customers require assistance.

Question 4: You are just about to go on your lunch break. A customer asks you to help them with their shopping. Helping the customer will mean taking a shorter lunch break.

Help the customer with their shopping and ask your manager if the time of your lunch hour can be changed to later because you were helping a customer.

Question 5: You usually work in the fruit and vegetables section but the clothing section will have a shortage of staff for three days next week. Your manager asks you to work in the Clothing section while they need the extra help.

Spend a few hours making sure you understand the new tasks that you will be doing in the clothing section.

Question 6: Your manager asks you to cover your colleague’s work as they are off sick. You already have a full day’s work planned.

Finish your work first and then fit your colleague’s tasks in if you have time.

Question 7: You are cleaning up spilt yoghurt which, if left, could be dangerous for customers. A customer asks you to help them to take their shopping to the checkout.

Tell the customer that you would be happy to help them with their shopping once you have finished cleaning up the spilt yoghurt.

Question 8: You have just returned from your break and are about to start refilling the sweets aisle when a customer approaches you to complain that the apples they bought tasted very bitter.

Suggest that the customer goes to Customer Services as you have been asked to refill the Sweets aisle.

Question 9: In your opinion, what is the most important quality you should have to work at Tesco?

A willingness to fit in and follow procedure.

Question 10: The store is expecting a very busy week before a holiday season starts. Additional staff will be needed in the store so that everything still runs smoothly. Your manager says that if anyone can do any extra shifts it would be greatly appreciated.

Check your diary and commit to any extra shifts where you have the time.

Question 11: There are road works being done on your normal route to work for two days next week. This may delay your journey by as much as half an hour each way.`

Leave for work earlier than usual to try to beat the traffic and make sure that you arrive on time.

Question 12: You are collecting stock from the back of the store to use to refill some of the shelves in your section. You notice that there is some stock missing for the third time in the past two weeks.

Talk to your team leader about the missing stock when you have a chance to do it quietly.

Question 13: What type of job do you think you would most enjoy?

One where challenges remain manageable and at a pretty consistent level throughout the day.

Question 14: You notice a customer is looking for something in the section you are working in and you offer to help. The customer is looking for barbeque utensils but these are a seasonal product and are not available at this time of year.

Explain to the customer that seasonal products are only available for sale during certain months of the year.

Question 15: A customer approaches you in the store and asks why they cannot find the product that they are looking for. The product has been discontinued and so the store cannot stock it anymore.

Carefully explain the situation to the customer and recommend a similar product that the customer could use instead.

Question 16: You are working at the checkout and have a growing queue of customers to serve. As you scan a product for a customer, you notice that it has been charged at full price although you know that it is on sale. The line manager you need to correct the price is currently helping another customer with a query.

Continue scanning the rest of the customer’s shopping as you have other customers waiting.

Question 17: You are shopping on behalf of a customer that has ordered online. One member of your team is away so you are busier than normal. You only have a short time before the order is due to be loaded in to the van. As you are about to take the order to the van a customer approaches you with a question about returning an item.

Tell the customer where returns can be made and that a colleague will be able to help them.

I think most my answers were reasonable. BTW: ASDA's test rejected me too.
Q16: the answer seems to imply that you should defraud the customer to keep your queues flowing*:angry:
I'm sorry, but from these answers you've given it's pretty obvious why you were rejected. You come across as inflexible, unwilling to go out of your way to help customers, unable to cope with change or challenging situations and unwilling to take the initiative. Questions 4, 8, 13, 14 and 16 are particularly bad answers.

Sorry.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by the bear
Q16: the answer seems to imply that you should defraud the customer to keep your queues flowing*:angry:

Well I based my answer on 16 as: If the line manger is busy and people are waiting. I need to be doing something in the mean time so that when the line manger comes he has that 1 thing to do then the customer can move on.

And who would defraud a customer? That sounds stupid,
Reply 12
Original post by Reality Check
I'm sorry, but from these answers you've given it's pretty obvious why you were rejected. You come across as inflexible, unwilling to go out of your way to help customers, unable to cope with change or challenging situations and unwilling to take the initiative. Questions 4, 8, 13, 14 and 16 are particularly bad answers.

Sorry.

Question 4: I just wanted to help the customer. If I did not help the customer, then they may not like Tesco any more and move on.
And the manager can say yes or no to a change in lunch hour. But would I really not help the customer?

Question 8: I am working on refilling the Sweets aisle. I acknowledge the customer and tell them where to go. What's so bad about that?

Question 13: For real? I'm working a job just stocking shelves with the odd customer interruption. Things ain't going to be much different each day. It's a match for a consistent job which is manageable...

Question 14: Question says " these are a seasonal product and are not available at this time of year. " so why is the reply of
"Explain to the customer that seasonal products are only available for sale during certain months of the year " not a fair choice of word?

Question 16: If the line manger is busy and people are waiting. I need to be doing something in the mean time so that when the line manger comes he has that 1 item to price correct so then the customer can move on and the line carry on.

My answers seem 100% fine and justifiable to me. Even looking back.

You seem to be quite resistant to any form of criticism. I don't quite understand what you're trying to achieve with this post - do you just want someone to tell you that is totally unfair and it's their loss?

If you're adamant that your answers are 100% justifiable, then why do you think that you got rejected by two companies at the first hurdle? You clearly have some ideas on this.
(edited 7 years ago)
Question 4: I just wanted to help the customer. If I did not help the customer, then they may not like Tesco any more and move on.
And the manager can say yes or no to a change in lunch hour. But would I really not help the customer?

Question 8: I am working on refilling the Sweets aisle. I acknowledge the customer and tell them where to go. What's so bad about that?

Question 13: For real? I'm working a job just stocking shelves with the odd customer interruption. Things ain't going to be much different each day. It's a match for a consistent job which is manageable...

Question 14: Question says " these are a seasonal product and are not available at this time of year. " so why is the reply of
"Explain to the customer that seasonal products are only available for sale during certain months of the year " not a fair choice of word?

Question 16: If the line manger is busy and people are waiting. I need to be doing something in the mean time so that when the line manger comes he has that 1 item to price correct so then the customer can move on and the line carry on.

I can tell you just by reading your answer for 8 it isn't what they are looking for. They would expect you to stop what you are doing and give the customer full attention. When answering these questions think of the customer first, not your job stacking shelves
Reply 15
Original post by Reality Check
You seem to be quite resistant to any form of criticism. I don't quite understand what you're trying to achieve with the post.

If you're adamant that your answers are 100% justifiable, then why do you think that you got rejected by two companies at the first hurdle? You clearly have some ideas on this.

The other answer selections seemed rather edgy in comparison. I spent minutes on each question thinking about each answer and the thought I had behind each answer. I showed these answers to my friends and dad and they seem to think they are fine responses.
Reply 16
Original post by johnTroy1
I can tell you just by reading your answer for 8 it isn't what they are looking for. They would expect you to stop what you are doing and give the customer full attention. When answering these questions think of the customer first, not your job stacking shelves

Look, I'm not applying to be on Customer Services. I can't issue a refund as a stacker.

I tell the customer where to go with his bitter apples, I didn't ignore him. What's so bad about that.......
Look, I'm not applying to be on Customer Services. I can't issue a refund as a stacker.

I tell the customer where to go with his bitter apples, I didn't ignore him. What's so bad about that.......

For a start what role are you applying for? And don't post on here looking for guidance if you are in denial and wont accept the constructive criticism.
Reply 18
Just waiting on a response to a job at lidl now. At least they have no online test.
These are my answers that gave me rejection:

Question 1: You are refilling a section of shelves in the store which you need to have completed before your break. Your manager approaches you and asks you to take your break an hour earlier as one of your colleagues needs to leave early today.

Tell your manager that you cannot change the time of your break as you need to finish refilling the shelves.

Q1 - Why would you say no to your manager?! Obviously a bad answer.

Quick Reply

Latest