The Student Room Group

Aberdeen Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by hopeforunderdog
My stats are these

5th year Highers: AAAAB
6th year: AB at advanced higher and B at crashed higher (I'm a gap year applicant)

UKCAT: 713, band 1

What are my chances of interview ? I'm aware my grades aren't the best:frown:

Dat ukcat though!

I imagine you will get an interview especially with a band 1 and 713 average
Original post by .......Jeff458
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I AM 3 GOD DAMN POINTS BELOW THE AVERAGE CUT-OFF FOR LAST YEAR! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well there goes my career plans especially as I cba taking a year out and Aberdeen said cut-offs(scores) will increase this year

Remember it isn't a cut off. You are above the lowest for the interview score, and perhaps last year people just didn't do as well with a lower score in interview, hence no offer. Noone can say for certain if you do get an interview, but if you do then just do your best and there is still the chance of being made an offer; despite what the lower scores were last year.
[QUOTE=atomos;67859786]Your grades are pretty similar to what mines were, and your ukcat is infinitely better so I'd say you stand a good chance!

I was also a gap year applicant.

This makes me feel so much better haha, thank you:smile:
Dat ukcat though!

I imagine you will get an interview especially with a band 1 and 713 average

Haha thanks, think I got quite lucky on the day tbh
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. I AM 3 GOD DAMN POINTS BELOW THE AVERAGE CUT-OFF FOR LAST YEAR! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Well there goes my career plans especially as I cba taking a year out and Aberdeen said cut-offs(scores) will increase this year

also if you 'cba' taking a year out then maybe medicine isn't right for you? its a very demanding course and requires the commitment.

I didn't get in the first time I applied but I really wanted it so tried even harder for the ukcat next time, got myself more work experience and just tried to make my application the best it could be*
Original post by atomos
also if you 'cba' taking a year out then maybe medicine isn't right for you? its a very demanding course and requires the commitment.

I didn't get in the first time I applied but I really wanted it so tried even harder for the ukcat next time, got myself more work experience and just tried to make my application the best it could be*

The only reason I cba is because of the UKCAT. I prepared so long compared to everyone I know, did in excess of probably 7000 questions, spent sooooooo long revising and still got one of the worst scores out of everyone I know. I cba because my concern is I spent that long revising this time, what guarantee do I have that I am going to improve? It clearly didn't happen over these 5 months so what if it goes badly again. Then what on earth do I do!?
The only reason I cba is because of the UKCAT. I prepared so long compared to everyone I know, did in excess of probably 7000 questions, spent sooooooo long revising and still got one of the worst scores out of everyone I know. I cba because my concern is I spent that long revising this time, what guarantee do I have that I am going to improve? It clearly didn't happen over these 5 months so what if it goes badly again. Then what on earth do I do!?

Well hard work will pay off, but don't write yourself off yet when your application hasn't even been sent off! If it's meant to happen it will. If, worst case scenario, you don't get in this year and reapply next year you will be a totally different applicant, so its hard to say how your UKCAT would fare the second time round but presumably it would get better. Also remember that this year only 3 sections instead of four were included in your score so you can't totally compare your UKCAT to last years. Similarly next year presumably the fourth section will be scored and this could improve your score also.

There are other options though should it not work out (though don't think about this now, focus on your current application). There are universities in the rest of the UK which look less at the UKCAT and some which don't even use it at all. Financially this is a bit of a pain but there are ways to deal with the fees.

But just take a deep breath and relax! You haven't gotten to that stage yet, focus on your application this year.*
Original post by atomos
Well hard work will pay off, but don't write yourself off yet when your application hasn't even been sent off! If it's meant to happen it will. If, worst case scenario, you don't get in this year and reapply next year you will be a totally different applicant, so its hard to say how your UKCAT would fare the second time round but presumably it would get better. Also remember that this year only 3 sections instead of four were included in your score so you can't totally compare your UKCAT to last years. Similarly next year presumably the fourth section will be scored and this could improve your score also.

There are other options though should it not work out (though don't think about this now, focus on your current application). There are universities in the rest of the UK which look less at the UKCAT and some which don't even use it at all. Financially this is a bit of a pain but there are ways to deal with the fees.

But just take a deep breath and relax! You haven't gotten to that stage yet, focus on your application this year.*

Sent off my application today but thanks for the advice. It really was what I needed to hear :smile:
Original post by atomos
Remember its quality not quantity. They want to hear what you have gained/learned from/how you can apply skills learned to medicine. Reciting a list of how you've had 50 placements in your local hospital isn't going to score extra points.

From what I remember when I applied, Edinburgh was very heavy on extracurriculars/work experience etc so they might be a bit risky if you truly don't have much (presumably since they don't interview so just have to go on personal statement. but again its important not to just list things)*

Thanks a lot, think I'm gonna drop Edinburgh. It's a struggle to relate experience to genuine skills, but I'm slowing working on it! Hope I can get back to you on Friday and say I'm happy with my personal statement >:biggrin:
Hey guys Im a student here at deen so if you have any questions about it all the course or the process dont hesitate to ask :smile:
Sent off my application today but thanks for the advice. It really was what I needed to hear :smile:

Good luck!*
Original post by GluteusBurger
Thanks a lot, think I'm gonna drop Edinburgh. It's a struggle to relate experience to genuine skills, but I'm slowing working on it! Hope I can get back to you on Friday and say I'm happy with my personal statement >:biggrin:

Writing your PS is tough, I remember it well! Hope you get it finished without too much hassle, good luck
Hey there, I live in Aberdeen so deffo applying. Unfortunately bombed my UKCAT with 617 band 2. How are my chances looking for interview? At interview is it you perform well and you're in or do scores still apply afterwards?

Thanks and congrats on getting in! You must have been a worthy and amazing candidate! :smile:

Actually you'd be surprised, I know a good 20 people who got rejected post interview then got a phone call asking if they were still interested in a place at Aberdeen, so I wouldn't totally write yourself off for aberdeen it's still worth applying. I believe that after interview they only look at how you did at your interview, ukcat and grades are just to actually secure you an interview in the first place.
Reply 33
Original post by hollyt93
Actually you'd be surprised, I know a good 20 people who got rejected post interview then got a phone call asking if they were still interested in a place at Aberdeen, so I wouldn't totally write yourself off for aberdeen it's still worth applying. I believe that after interview they only look at how you did at your interview, ukcat and grades are just to actually secure you an interview in the first place.

No, your pre-interview score counts towards 50% of the score used to decide who they are going to offer places to, with the interview score making up the other 50%
Original post by GANFYD
No, your pre-interview score counts towards 50% of the score used to decide who they are going to offer places to, with the interview score making up the other 50%

I know when I got in 3 years ago they only looked at interview score post interview because I was actually rejected in the first place and got my interview score back and I was just below cut off but then I got a call back, but maybe it's slightly different now!
Reply 35
Original post by hollyt93
I know when I got in 3 years ago they only looked at interview score post interview because I was actually rejected in the first place and got my interview score back and I was just below cut off but then I got a call back, but maybe it's slightly different now!

I only know what it's been like from 2014 onwards, but it has certainly been 50:50 preinterview:interview since then
I'm applying as a graduate, hopefully a 2:1 MEng in Biomedical Engineering

My stats are

UKCAT
VR: 640
QR: 770
AR: 590
Average: 667, band 2

Highers: AAAAB
Adv highers: ABC (chem, bio, maths)

I have a fair bit of work experience/extra curricular stuff but if they don't look at it until interview that's not much help if my grades don't make the cut... Do you think I have a chance?? I thought Aberdeen was my best shot
Reply 37
How do Aberdeen make post interview decisions?
Original post by nu7
How do Aberdeen make post interview decisions?

From the website:

Of those who are invited for interview, offers will be made to candidates who achieve the highest total scores, based upon their application and interview performance.

The admissions procedure at Aberdeen involves the detailed assessment and scoring of a range of aspects of an application, including academic attainment/predictions (30%), UKCAT (20%), and then subsequent interview performance (50%)*
What are the chances that I'll get an interview at Aberdeen? I did my reading and my UKCAT score isn't really the greatest but after looking at Aberdeen's cut-off score for an interview, I feel like maybe I might stand a chance.

IGCSEs: 7A*, 2As
IB Predicted Grades: 43/45
UKCAT: 630 Avg (1890/2700)

In the official UKCAT website, I'm in the 5th decile though. I hope I can get an interview offer at the very least! Then, focus on the interview itself next.

Quick Reply

Latest