The Student Room Group

What do the Science Awards mean at GCSE?

Hey guys,

I'm an international student and I'm doing my A-levels in the UK. I've been looking at some of the entry requirements on university websites and I see terms like "double award science" etc. What do these mean? Does triple award mean you do all 3 sciences (Phy, Chem, Bio) at GCSE, double award means you do 2, so on and so forth? Thanks!
Original post by rosemondtan
Hey guys,

I'm an international student and I'm doing my A-levels in the UK. I've been looking at some of the entry requirements on university websites and I see terms like "double award science" etc. What do these mean? Does triple award mean you do all 3 sciences (Phy, Chem, Bio) at GCSE, double award means you do 2, so on and so forth? Thanks!

Double award= 3 sciences examined but 2 qualifications out the end.
Triple award= 1 GCSE per science awarded

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
Double award= 3 sciences examined but 2 qualifications out the end.
Triple award= 1 GCSE per science awarded

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks! What are single award sciences then?

I'm not fully sure but just 1 science on its own or a Science GCSE
Original post by DreamlinerFinder
I'm not fully sure but just 1 science on its own or a Science GCSE

It's cool, thanks for your help!
Hey guys,

Triple science award is 3 GCSE's Bio Chem Phys
Double award is 2 GCSE's core science and additional science.
Original post by Oxidation
Triple science award is 3 GCSE's Bio Chem Phys
Double award is 2 GCSE's core science and additional science.

what are single award sciences?

it is mandatory that students at GCSE level do triple or double, single award science is not available.
what are single award sciences?

Probably only 1 GCSE.
Probably only 1 GCSE.

This is weird because I didn't actually do GCSEs, but I did an equivalent of physics and chemistry but not biology. What will this be counted as in the UK system?
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
it is mandatory that students at GCSE level do triple or double, single award science is not available.

If I did an equivalent qualification of just physics and chemistry but not biology, what award would that translate to in the context of the UK?
This is weird because I didn't actually do GCSEs, but I did an equivalent of physics and chemistry but not biology. What will this be counted as in the UK system?

Depending on where you want to do A-Levels ask them if they would take you for the sciences. I think you have to have studied biology at a foundation level in order to carry on in higher levels like A-Level.
Depending on where you want to do A-Levels ask them if they would take you for the sciences. I think you have to have studied biology at a foundation level in order to carry on in higher levels like A-Level.

Oh I am currently doing my A-levels, I'm in my A2 year! I realised I didn't have a GCSE biology grade so I sat the AS Reformed exam and got an A, hopefully to make up for it. I was just wondering what it's counted as if you only do physics and chemistry at GCSE?
Oh I am currently doing my A-levels, I'm in my A2 year! I realised I didn't have a GCSE biology grade so I sat the AS Reformed exam and got an A, hopefully to make up for it. I was just wondering what it's counted as if you only do physics and chemistry at GCSE?

It does count so I wouldn't worry about it then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending