The Student Room Group

Liverpool Medicine A100 2017 entry applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aRandomGuy
Thanks but nothing is ever guaranteed :biggrin:

I'm quite sure - I called the uni to check whether the offer 0.1 or 0.9 etc, and they said its only 0.0 or 0.5.

What's your final score? and what other unis are you applying to?

Oh my bad, I assumed that you'd divide your ukcat score by 100 to give a score out of 24. Lol i won't be applying to Leicester anyway as my score would be 40.5 and that's not competitive at all. I'm applying to Cardiff, Exeter, Liverpool and UEA/King's ( the last two options are very risky :/ ) Wbu???
Reply 61
Does anyone know how liverpool score their ukcat??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Batool1997
Oh my bad, I assumed that you'd divide your ukcat score by 100 to give a score out of 24. Lol i won't be applying to Leicester anyway as my score would be 40.5 and that's not competitive at all. I'm applying to Cardiff, Exeter, Liverpool and UEA/King's ( the last two options are very risky :/ ) Wbu???

Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool and Leicester. With 8A*s at GCSE, I would recommend applying to Birmingham instead of UEA/Kings - use their offer calculator, it gives you your score. I get 7.667 so you should get something similar, and last years cut-off was 6.17 for an interview.
Original post by aRandomGuy
Birmingham, Cardiff, Liverpool and Leicester. With 8A*s at GCSE, I would recommend applying to Birmingham instead of UEA/Kings - use their offer calculator, it gives you your score. I get 7.667 so you should get something similar, and last years cut-off was 6.17 for an interview.

I'm a gap year student and I applied to Birmingham last year, I got a post-interview rejection :frown: Bham don't accept re-applicants so I can't apply there. I'm sure you'd be guaranteed an interview and if you have any Qs about their interview process, just PM me :smile:
Reply 64
I have a GCSE score of 17/18 (so meet the 15 cut off) and was wondering whether anyone knows if in previous years that's been enough, or if they only accept those with a score of 18?

I remember vaguely reading that if you meet all the cut offs they judge you whether you'll be given an interview on your personal statement, but am not sure how much of that is true?

I have a UKCAT average of 687 and band 2 in SJT so should be alright in that respect.

Cheers, I appreciate any answers :smile:
Original post by op1
I have a GCSE score of 17/18 (so meet the 15 cut off) and was wondering whether anyone knows if in previous years that's been enough, or if they only accept those with a score of 18?

I remember vaguely reading that if you meet all the cut offs they judge you whether you'll be given an interview on your personal statement, but am not sure how much of that is true?

I have a UKCAT average of 687 and band 2 in SJT so should be alright in that respect.

Cheers, I appreciate any answers :smile:

Hi,

On the website they have written 'preference will be given to those with a higher GCSE score'.
i have 637 ukcat :frown: is it okay?
Reply 67
Hey guys. I really can't decide between Birmingham and Liverpool. I would really appreciate some help. I will be applying to Cardiff Leicester and Exeter.

Here are my stats...

Gcse: 6A* 5A
A level (achieved) : A*A*A c
UKCAT: 640 average band 2
Ps: pharmacy, care home, shadowed doctors in hospital for a week, research lab, evidence of leadership, show realistic interest in medicine.

I calculated my score for Birmingham and I got 6.8333 and they're cut off was 6.17 last year. Idk how much it could change. Please help me choose between Birmingham and Liverpool. Where would I have a higher chance for interview?

Also, can someone briefly explain what Liverpool is like to live in.
Original post by KB_97
Hey guys. I really can't decide between Birmingham and Liverpool. I would really appreciate some help. I will be applying to Cardiff Leicester and Exeter.

Here are my stats...

Gcse: 6A* 5A
A level (achieved) : A*A*A c
UKCAT: 640 average band 2
Ps: pharmacy, care home, shadowed doctors in hospital for a week, research lab, evidence of leadership, show realistic interest in medicine.

I calculated my score for Birmingham and I got 6.8333 and they're cut off was 6.17 last year. Idk how much it could change. Please help me choose between Birmingham and Liverpool. Where would I have a higher chance for interview?

Also, can someone briefly explain what Liverpool is like to live in.

your GCSE are good birmingham love gcses
Reply 69
Original post by rehmanator
your GCSE are good birmingham love gcses

I know. But my ukcat isn't high enough so I'm scared that my total score of 6.833 isn't high enough. They're cut off should change. I just don't know by how much.
Reply 70
Original post by Kantth1
Hi,

On the website they have written 'preference will be given to those with a higher GCSE score'.

Aye yes, cheers. I'm just wondering if anyone knows whether the past a score of 17/18 has been enough to obtain an interview e.g. for 2016 entry?

For most other courses stating that a 'preference will be given to those with a higher GCSE score' I would assume 17/18 would be a guaranteed interview but medicine is so crazy competitive I can never be sure.
Anyone going the the open day this Saturday?
Reply 72
Original post by rehmanator
i have 637 ukcat :frown: is it okay?

Don't quote me but when I rang up I was told the liverpool cut off will be between 590-623 so 637 is definitely enough

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 73
Original post by Ninjakam119
Anyone going the the open day this Saturday?

I will be 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Pawini

Nice :smile: are you going to either of the medicine talks?
Reply 75
Original post by Ninjakam119
Nice :smile: are you going to either of the medicine talks?

I was going to go for the 2:30 talk on the application but I haven't a clue how to obtain a ticket for it so I think I'll just go to the drop in and ask a few questions

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all, I'm applying with

GCSE's: 7A*4A
AS: AA (external) BB (internal)
Predicted A*A*A
UKCAT: 730 band 3
Original post by mf98
GCSEs: 10A*s 1A
AS: AAAA
Predicted: A*AAA
UKCAT: 640 :/ band 2 sjt

My ukcat isn't too good so is it worth replying?
Is the course majority PBL?
Is there opportunities to do a placement abroad?
Do they mind if you resit AS/A2 modules?

Or if anyone can suggest any other unis that might suit my strengths it would be appreciated

You should definitely apply to Cardiff and Birmingham. Liverpool value A* and A the same, and then score personal statements - making it quite subjective. Also your UKCAT score is more than competitive for Liverpool.
Just came back from the liverpool open day and the director of applications for medicine said that last year was the first time they used ukcat and thus many people were apprehensive on how they would use the ukcat. So she said that last years figures aren't the best indicators for this current cycle, but at the same time don't totally discount them. So the first phase is academic screening, second phase is to do with the personal statement, then they use a ukcat cut-off to chose the appropriate number of people who get interviews.
I only got a 620 in my UKCAT and a Band 2 in SJT, my VR draaagged my score down. I have 21 points with the GCSE point system and predicted AAA, I have soome work experience but have some planned in this half term (after the deadline), should I mention this on my statement too? And would I have a shot at getting into Liverpool?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending