The Student Room Group

What is confusing you regarding your future?

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to ask if anyone here had any confusions in deciding what they want to do beyond school? I know myself it was a really stressful and confusing position to be in and I'd really like to help anyone who's struggling. Thanks for replying in advance!
I really like maths. But the only jobs involving maths seems to be financial jobs or teachers. I hate both of those jobs. So how can I get a well-paid job involving maths that isn't financially related or teaching related? I have no idea what I'm gonna do.
Original post by AnnemarieV
I really like maths. But the only jobs involving maths seems to be financial jobs or teachers. I hate both of those jobs. So how can I get a well-paid job involving maths that isn't financially related or teaching related? I have no idea what I'm gonna do.

I would say the thing with Maths is, is that it is a degree that all employers of any industry like. Most mathematicians go into either further education / research or finance after uni, but the thing is, you really can do anything, especially with a degree from a good university.
Reply 3

Hi Annemarie,

First off I'll start off by saying thanks for commenting. Now regarding your issues I'll say what I said on another thread. Grab a pen and notepad and go somewhere alone for a few hours without anyone there to distract you. What I'd recommend you to do is write down all your values, all of your beliefs, your interests and vision of what you want for your future. The reason I'm getting you to do this is to help you fully understand you. Because for example if you value spending time with friends and family above most things, you shouldn't pursue a career which will require you to work stupid hours (I.E. Lawyer or Doctor) for example. This will help you rule out a few possible careers because they won't suit who you are as a person. Now for looking for someone that matches you. I'll confess, maths is my worst subject hahahahahaha. However, I agree with the other comment (Sorry I forgot your name bud) which he's basically said nearly every career requires maths. So in this case the question isn't which jobs are most maths based but what career would I love to do so much that I'd do it for free if we didn't live in a world of money. So if you did the little exercise I told you to do at the start you should look at something which is based off one of your interests you've written down. If you want, select the one which is the most maths based and it combines the best of two worlds. It's based from a passion and it's based off a subject you're good at! Anyway, that's the best idea I've got and I really hope this helps. Let me know how it went!
Original post by KieranAdam
Hi Annemarie,

First off I'll start off by saying thanks for commenting. Now regarding your issues I'll say what I said on another thread. Grab a pen and notepad and go somewhere alone for a few hours without anyone there to distract you. What I'd recommend you to do is write down all your values, all of your beliefs, your interests and vision of what you want for your future. The reason I'm getting you to do this is to help you fully understand you. Because for example if you value spending time with friends and family above most things, you shouldn't pursue a career which will require you to work stupid hours (I.E. Lawyer or Doctor) for example. This will help you rule out a few possible careers because they won't suit who you are as a person. Now for looking for someone that matches you. I'll confess, maths is my worst subject hahahahahaha. However, I agree with the other comment (Sorry I forgot your name bud) which he's basically said nearly every career requires maths. So in this case the question isn't which jobs are most maths based but what career would I love to do so much that I'd do it for free if we didn't live in a world of money. So if you did the little exercise I told you to do at the start you should look at something which is based off one of your interests you've written down. If you want, select the one which is the most maths based and it combines the best of two worlds. It's based from a passion and it's based off a subject you're good at! Anyway, that's the best idea I've got and I really hope this helps. Let me know how it went!

Wow. That's actually really good advice, thank you so much
Reply 5

Maybe engineering? I've heard that it has a lot of maths and there are lots of different types of engineering, like software, electrical, chemical, civil, mechanical, material etc...
Reply 6
Wow. That's actually really good advice, thank you so much

It's no problem, glad I could help!

Quick Reply

Latest