The Student Room Group

Keele medicine 2017

Keele was my number one choice for 2017 entry. My UKCAT average is 753 and my academic is GCSE 9 A* s 2 As 1 B , AS further maths grade A but my roles and responsibilities will really let me down and I know Keele scores this alone initially. I have volunteered for 2 years with the local beaver scouts but despite applying to many places have no caring experience in health or social care. Should I completely give up all hope of applying to Keele? I did one day summer school at Keele and it was amazing! I would appreciate an opinion from someone at Keele who can set me straight. I have reviewed my other choices after some really good advice but wonder if it's worth a risk, with only 4 choices I'm worried about using up a choice that is on out and out no chancer. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Richy t
Keele was my number one choice for 2017 entry. My UKCAT average is 753 and my academic is GCSE 9 A* s 2 As 1 B , AS further maths grade A but my roles and responsibilities will really let me down and I know Keele scores this alone initially. I have volunteered for 2 years with the local beaver scouts but despite applying to many places have no caring experience in health or social care. Should I completely give up all hope of applying to Keele? I did one day summer school at Keele and it was amazing! I would appreciate an opinion from someone at Keele who can set me straight. I have reviewed my other choices after some really good advice but wonder if it's worth a risk, with only 4 choices I'm worried about using up a choice that is on out and out no chancer. Thanks in advance if anyone can help.

Well done on the great UKCAT! I think you should apply to one uni you fall in love with and the other three should be tailored to your strengths to increase your odds. Keele are very voluntary/work experience heavy so maybe because you have no health experience this may not be the best option as you have to stand out, but if you REALLY love keele just find a way to apply the experience you do have. You considered Edinburgh/Kings/Newcastle? These unis are UKCAT heavy and you woukd have a much better chance at those!
Reply 2
Original post by isabella1999
Well done on the great UKCAT! I think you should apply to one uni you fall in love with and the other three should be tailored to your strengths to increase your odds. Keele are very voluntary/work experience heavy so maybe because you have no health experience this may not be the best option as you have to stand out, but if you REALLY love keele just find a way to apply the experience you do have. You considered Edinburgh/Kings/Newcastle? These unis are UKCAT heavy and you woukd have a much better chance at those!

Thank you for the reply and suggestions of alternatives, my list is constantly changing and I'm feeling very confused. Need to go back to the drawing board and look again at all the university sites I think.
I just accepted an offer from Keele. My roles and responsibilities form was strong, my UKCAT was weak (625), and my GCSE's were not as good as yours. Keele gives out interviews based on the roles and responsibilites form, so perhaps look at another university. Are you sure you have not had any roles/responsibilities? Do you hold no positions within your school?
Reply 4
Original post by Workaholism
I just accepted an offer from Keele. My roles and responsibilities form was strong, my UKCAT was weak (625), and my GCSE's were not as good as yours. Keele gives out interviews based on the roles and responsibilites form, so perhaps look at another university. Are you sure you have not had any roles/responsibilities? Do you hold no positions within your school?

Attend a comprehensive school where I help other students with reading and maths and have done my volunteering at Beavers but don't think it will be enough sadly. I reviewed my options last night trawling university sites again and have decided Keele won't take a look at me so can't risk it as an option:frown:
Reply 5
Original post by Workaholism

How many roles do you need? I had about two, charity committee and year 7 prefect
Reply 6
Original post by Kraytz
How many roles do you need? I had about two, charity committee and year 7 prefect

https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/Roles%20&%20Responsibilities%20form%202016%20entry%20DRAFT.pdf

Read and roughly fill this out and see how you think you come across.

Bear in mind your R&R form has to be strong. It's very R&R heavy when it comes to dishing out interviews.
I am on a gap year and just started to work as a care in the community assistant. I am going to do this for 6 months then I am volunteering in an orphanage for 3 months. My volunteering to date has only been a 3 hourly weekly stint in a special needs school for 6 months. So basically when I fill the form in I may only have had a few weeks under my belt.

Would this be ok?
Don't give up on Keele if you really want to go, someone I know got in with no volunteering except a few years of helping with cubs. It's what you learnt that matters most, and how you helped people, it doesn't matter what you did per se

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by JayAhm
https://www.keele.ac.uk/media/keeleuniversity/fachealth/fachealthmed/pdfs/Roles%20&%20Responsibilities%20form%202016%20entry%20DRAFT.pdf

Read and roughly fill this out and see how you think you come across.

Bear in mind your R&R form has to be strong. It's very R&R heavy when it comes to dishing out interviews.

Thank you I'll draft it out and see how it looks. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Reply 10
Original post by neurogirl
Don't give up on Keele if you really want to go, someone I know got in with no volunteering except a few years of helping with cubs. It's what you learnt that matters most, and how you helped people, it doesn't matter what you did per se

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your comment. I will try really hard to reflect on my 2 years volunteering at Beavers and reflect on my mentor ship roles at school with less able students. Less than a month to go before submitting my 4 choices and feel soooo confused. Birmingham is a definite contender as I really enjoyed the open day and medical school but unsure I would stand out enough for an interview.
Hi guys, I really love the look of the course at Keele and I know they're very work experience heavy. I've got lots of experience, but due to being admitted into hospital recently and having an operation I've missed out on lots of opportunities to get more hours for work experience, so I don't have as many hours as I wanted. Do you think this will be considered if I mention it in my R&R form? Thanks:smile:
Try and get yourselves down to an open day to really see what the school is like, how the course is structured and the amazing facilities there

I am a med student there and help out on the open days.
Hello- I was hoping for some help. I am a Chemistry graduate (with a 2:1) and I'm wanting to apply for medicine at Keele University. Unfortunately my ukcat went badly due to being poorly on the day. I averaged 575 with a band 1. Have I miss the cut off? Will I be able to do a BMAT to override the low ukcat. I would have scored better if I wasn't so poorly that day and hope it hasn't ruined my chances. I have a lot of work experience/ volunteer work. Thanks for any help anybody can give
Original post by Anon14288
Hello- I was hoping for some help. I am a Chemistry graduate (with a 2:1) and I'm wanting to apply for medicine at Keele University. Unfortunately my ukcat went badly due to being poorly on the day. I averaged 575 with a band 1. Have I miss the cut off? Will I be able to do a BMAT to override the low ukcat. I would have scored better if I wasn't so poorly that day and hope it hasn't ruined my chances. I have a lot of work experience/ volunteer work. Thanks for any help anybody can give

Usually you are advised to rearrange the test to another day if you are unwell. They don't charge you if you change the test day. Because of this I don't think you can really use the unwell excuse. It would be different for bmat as that has to be done on a specific day.?
Original post by BadLashes
Usually you are advised to rearrange the test to another day if you are unwell. They don't charge you if you change the test day. Because of this I don't think you can really use the unwell excuse. It would be different for bmat as that has to be done on a specific day.?

Hi, thank you for your reply :smile:
I don't want to use it as an excuse- it's just I was poorly on the day and that was the last testing day unfortunately. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do if I haven't done well in my UKCAT that Keele may reconsider me for. I am only able to apply to Keele due to personal circumstances- so you can understand why I'm so worried! I'm starting to feel better than earlier this week so thought If Keele accept the BMAT instead that I'll do that in November. I really hope I haven't ruined my chances of getting into Keele now :frown:
When I did my UKCAT last year I scored a 760 so you can imagine my disappointment this time round! This may be my last chance of applying as well ๐Ÿ˜”
I don't want to use it as an excuse- it's just I was poorly on the day and that was the last testing day unfortunately. I'm just wondering if there is anything else I can do if I haven't done well in my UKCAT that Keele may reconsider me for. I am only able to apply to Keele due to personal circumstances- so you can understand why I'm so worried! I'm starting to feel better than earlier this week so thought If Keele accept the BMAT instead that I'll do that in November. I really hope I haven't ruined my chances of getting into Keele now :frown:
When I did my UKCAT last year I scored a 760 so you can imagine my disappointment this time round! This may be my last chance of applying as well ๐Ÿ˜”

I would advice you to to the bmat and apply to those universitys. If they took the bmat as an alternative they would say on their website and have to offer the option to everyone. My UK cat was too low last year so am reapplying thus time with a better one.
Don't worry as much! Keele is not UKCAT heavy as it will not reject anyone in the 3rd to 10th decile at phase 1. As long as your score is within those you are fine to apply. I think sometimes if there is a tie in the scoring later on like Phase 3, they may look at UKCAT.
Original post by Harpal10
Don't worry as much! Keele is not UKCAT heavy as it will not reject anyone in the 3rd to 10th decile at phase 1. As long as your score is within those you are fine to apply. I think sometimes if there is a tie in the scoring later on like Phase 3, they may look at UKCAT.

Thank you Harpal10.. Unfortunately on their website they say their cut off this year is 1730 and mine is 1720 ๐Ÿ˜” I think I've blown it now ๐Ÿ˜” tempted to apply anyway but it's more than likely I won't get in now ๐Ÿ˜”
Hi, my UKCAT score was very low, 620 and my A level predicted grades are A*AA. Otherwise, I have very strong working experience and widening experience. Do I have a chance at Keele?

Quick Reply