The Student Room Group

Counters Society Records and Discussion Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mr T 999
Thanks for the tag but I'm not really interested in joining the counters society sorry.
Damn! I was hoping you would run the small competitions! Oh well!
Thanks for the tag but I'm not really interested in joining the counters society sorry :colondollar:

:lolwut: Your too shy to talk to people on online?? :erm: that doesn't make any sense to me, I can understand in real life but online? All your doing is typing bunch of words on a screen lol it shouldn't be too hard to speak to random people online.

It is more complicated than that, however; I am not willing to divulge any details regarding that matter. :redface:
Original post by PerplexingGeode
It is more complicated than that, however; I am not willing to divulge any details regarding that matter. :redface:

Ok fair enough :smile:
Ok fair enough :smile:

Thank you for your understanding! :h:
Original post by 04MR17
Looking at pending members, brent is still a current member, I will PM him with Society details. As for battybirdwoman, hasn't posted since CTAM part 4!

I think battybirdwoman used to post on DS - though don't know about now. Haven't seen them for ages on here. When did they last make a post (any post) on TSR? Because if they are inactive then I may cancel the invite until they start posting again.

Brent used to be a regular counter back in the day; I'm sure he'll be happy to post here again :smile:
Original post by spotify95
I think battybirdwoman used to post on DS - though don't know about now. Haven't seen them for ages on here. When did they last make a post (any post) on TSR? Because if they are inactive then I may cancel the invite until they start posting again.

Brent used to be a regular counter back in the day; I'm sure he'll be happy to post here again :smile:
Brent posted today. battybirdwoman hasn't posted since part 4 of CTAM. That is literally her last post.
I will do! :smile:

I have previously thought of a few examples, however; they would be quite similar to the current threads. I was perhaps thinking of a CT25M (Therefore, it would be count to 25 million, in increments of 25). :h:

:moon:

That'd be quite a good thread; however, given the fact that we had a cull of threads a while back, and were threatened with the possibility of more culls a few months ago (if we didn't keep the current threads up to date), I think the best bet would be to focus on the current 4 counting threads (CTAM, CTAMM, CTAM by 5s, MTZ) and then, once one (or more) of them have reached their goal, to start the CT25M.
I hope you understand where I'm coming from :smile: hopefully we can implement this in the future :smile:
Original post by 04MR17
I was thinking more like, Secretary General of the Counting Threads (Ban-Ki-Moon style). Just a ceremonial title, semi-serious and establishes you as an important person in this part of TSR.

Sounds like a good idea :yep:

In regards to @BattyBirdWoman, it's safe to say that they are no longer an active member of TSR.
Sounds like a good idea :yep:

In regards to @BattyBirdWoman, it's safe to say that they are no longer an active member of TSR.
Yep I had a look when I sent the mass PM to old users: I only sent it to users who had posted on TSR last after July. Any July last posts or earlier. So far, none of them have reached 10. Only Andy98 has counted again, but he's only done a couple.

All the rest, I think, can be taken down some time next week.
Original post by 04MR17
Yep I had a look when I sent the mass PM to old users: I only sent it to users who had posted on TSR last after July. Any July last posts or earlier. So far, none of them have reached 10. Only Andy98 has counted again, but he's only done a couple.

All the rest, I think, can be taken down some time next week.

I've now removed BattyBirdWoman from the invite list, seeing as though they haven't been on TSR for at least 2 years.

Can you also please look on some of the previous leaderboards, and also PM the top few users on the previous leaderboards? I'll PM some users from the first 5 threads, then you can do the rest :smile:

I might leave Andy98 because I think he may start posting again in the future - as of next week, I'll start removing people, with the least active people going first :smile:
That'd be quite a good thread; however, given the fact that we had a cull of threads a while back, and were threatened with the possibility of more culls a few months ago (if we didn't keep the current threads up to date), I think the best bet would be to focus on the current 4 counting threads (CTAM, CTAMM, CTAM by 5s, MTZ) and then, once one (or more) of them have reached their goal, to start the CT25M.
I hope you understand where I'm coming from :smile: hopefully we can implement this in the future :smile:

Yep, that is an excellent proposition; I do agree that the best option would be to focus on the current counting threads. :yep:

I definitely understand where you are coming from. :h:

Thanks for the tag @04MR17 your proposed ideas sound good to me so far :yy:
Original post by 04MR17
I think if those threads end up on the second page (I presume it's ordered by last post) then I have no issues with it. But when I first looked, it had CTAM part 8 and before and it just looked so outdated. By the way, I take it you control membership? I can make people deputies and add/remove threads but that's it for my power as far as I can tell...

Ok, in which case, we'll keep to the current threads at the moment (since we don't want older threads cluttering things up). If there was an archive facility, then I'd do that... but there isn't.

Yep, if any new members need inviting, or removing, please run it through me, since I have most of the permissions (being leader).
I've now removed BattyBirdWoman from the invite list, seeing as though they haven't been on TSR for at least 2 years.

Can you also please look on some of the previous leaderboards, and also PM the top few users on the previous leaderboards? I'll PM some users from the first 5 threads, then you can do the rest :smile:

I might leave Andy98 because I think he may start posting again in the future - as of next week, I'll start removing people, with the least active people going first :smile:

I have another idea!

Fundamentally, it could be a CTAM, in the form of alphabetical letters, corresponding to the positional number of that letter, although it would include only the first 10 letters. An example would be: A-1 B-2 C-3 D-4 E-5 F-6 G-7 H-8 I-9 J-0

Thus, a high number such as 13,840 would be constructed using the letters that correspond to the digits, so in this case; it would be: AC,HDJ

It would entail a case of memorising/knowing the letter to the corresponding number.

Or is this slightly too complicated?

I have another idea!

Fundamentally, it could be a CTAM, in the form of alphabetical letters, corresponding to the positional number of that letter, although it would include only the first 10 letters. An example would be: A-1 B-2 C-3 D-4 E-5 F-6 G-7 H-8 I-9 J-0

Thus, a high number such as 13,840 would be constructed using the letters that correspond to the digits, so in this case; it would be: AC,HDJ

It would entail a case of memorising/knowing the letter to the corresponding number.

Based on how the binary threads have gone on here, and the octal/hexadecimal threads on TBAAJ, I doubt this would take off. It'd involve too much memorizing of things. People like simple things - if they like things that were more complicated, CTAM in binary would have take off!

(In case you wasn't aware, binary is base 2, so uses just 2 symbols (0 and 1). Octal is base 8, so uses 8 symbols (0-7).
Hexadecimal is base 16, so uses 16 symbols (0-9, then A-F for 10-15).)

Good idea though :yep: Also, it'd be an additional thread, which likely wouldn't go too well considering the massive cull we had (though that was partially down to PT making far too many versions of CTAM) and the possible 2nd cull that we could have had a few months back (I fought as hard as I could to keep the 4 threads we have!).
Based on how the binary threads have gone on here, and the octal/hexadecimal threads on TBAAJ, I doubt this would take off. It'd involve too much memorizing of things. People like simple things - if they like things that were more complicated, CTAM in binary would have take off!

(In case you wasn't aware, binary is base 2, so uses just 2 symbols (0 and 1). Octal is base 8, so uses 8 symbols (0-7).
Hexadecimal is base 16, so uses 16 symbols (0-9, then A-F for 10-15).)

Good idea though :yep: Also, it'd be an additional thread, which likely wouldn't go too well considering the massive cull we had (though that was partially down to PT making far too many versions of CTAM) and the possible 2nd cull that we could have had a few months back (I fought as hard as I could to keep the 4 threads we have!).

You raise a valid point. I believe that your plan is sound, so we should stay with the aforementioned CTAM type threads, as you suggested. :h:

Yep, I knew about binary, however - I have only heard about Octal and Hexidecimal. I believe that the latter is used in coding when using colour, for example #0000ff is blue. :smile:

Can you also please look on some of the previous leaderboards, and also PM the top few users on the previous leaderboards? I'll PM some users from the first 5 threads, then you can do the rest

I might leave Andy98 because I think he may start posting again in the future - as of next week, I'll start removing people, with the least active people going first
That sounds like a plan. I'll look at that tomorrow.
I have another idea! All membership operations will go through you as a policy.
I think what we're looking for is features that we could include in the four threads we have to boost numbers and make it a bit more exciting. I had the idea of sprint Tuesday, where we all try and post as many numbers as we can every Tuesday, and it's a competition so we end up with a leader board being updated each week as to who's won the most Tuesdays. Small things like that and like the 100 post competition could really help us get to 1m a lot faster. You saw how everything accelerated towards the end of the last thread and into this one, now everything has settled down again, and we need to boost numbers.

Also, I'm thinking how about make @princechromey the "administrator" of the group, because of PMs - I'm just making meaningless titles for people now, but it's fun.
You raise a valid point. I believe that your plan is sound, so we should stay with the aforementioned CTAM type threads, as you suggested. :h:

Yep, I knew about binary, however - I have only heard about Octal and Hexidecimal. I believe that the latter is used in coding when using colour, for example #0000ff is blue. :smile:

Yep - though that's not to say I won't rule out the idea at a later date, once some of the CTAM threads have completed. :smile:

Hexadecimal is used quite a bit in computing - don't know much about Octal though. You'll likely find pages on Wikipedia explaining both of those number systems :smile:
Yep - though that's not to say I won't rule out the idea at a later date, once some of the CTAM threads have completed. :smile:

Hexadecimal is used quite a bit in computing - don't know much about Octal though. You'll likely find pages on Wikipedia explaining both of those number systems :smile:

Octal is used a lot in computing as well, especially as a sort of 'pointer' for bytes and binary digits

Also im thinking of working on the CTAM leaderboard generator again :wink:
Original post by eternaforest

Also im thinking of working on the CTAM leaderboard generator again
Sounds great eterna.

Quick Reply

Latest