The Student Room Group

The Official Vacation Scheme Thread 2017!

Scroll to see replies

hm
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by J-SP
My advice when I have been in this position is utilising or making up any on-going medical treatment, and a mixture of annual leave. Its easy to explain reoccurring time off for doctors/dentist appointments, especially if you don't need a full day off. Plus organisations don't want to stop you from getting medical treatment if there is a risk you will then being off sick.

It doesn't even have to be anything major, I've known people who have said they have had on-going dental treatment when I know they have really been going for interviews.

If it was me, if I needed a full day I'd take annual leave. If it was half a day, I'd use an appointment as an excuse and make the time off up over the rest of the week.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What would be your advice for us workers if [hopefully] we were to land a vacation scheme - ask for unpaid leave for one/two weeks? As the vac schemes are in December, I've used up all my annual leave for the year!
Original post by J-SP
Yes - best bet is to be honest with your employer at that stage and say you would like the time off unpaid to attend the internship.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah you would tell the employer the unpaid leave is for the vac scheme as opposed to the always nebulous 'personal reasons'? Doesn't that then run the risk of employers declining unpaid leave - surely they wouldn't want me taking time off to spend a week at another company, with the intention of securing a job there!
Original post by J-SP
You are going to have to come up with some incredible personal reasons to have two weeks off.

The usual personal reasons are unlikely to get that amount of time off. You'd need a sick note for more than a week off if you tried to pull a sickie.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well this is precisely my concern! Putting the cart before the horse no doubt, but I'm not quite sure how to get around it, and I'm not sure what my employer's reaction would be if I asked for leave to do a vac scheme.
Pfo from BLP. Now that the two stringent grade requirement firms are out of the way (Ashurst/BLP), I hope that I will have a bit more luck as I sent Herbert smith freehills off aswell. Just need to make it to an interview and I know I can perform well there. Firms that I've had good chats with grad rec include HSF Hogan Lovells and Freshfields, hopefully they yield more luck for me than Ashurst/BLP as I prefer these firms!
Original post by neal95
Pfo from BLP. Now that the two stringent grade requirement firms are out of the way (Ashurst/BLP), I hope that I will have a bit more luck as I sent Herbert smith freehills off aswell. Just need to make it to an interview and I know I can perform well there. Firms that I've had good chats with grad rec include HSF Hogan Lovells and Freshfields, hopefully they yield more luck for me than Ashurst/BLP as I prefer these firms!

Sorry to hear that :/

But seriously, how are you managing all those apps! The Ashurst one in particular is starting to exhaust me...

Best of luck with HSF though! They've really opened up this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
Sorry to hear that :/

But seriously, how are you managing all those apps! The Ashurst one in particular is starting to exhaust me...

Best of luck with HSF though! They've really opened up this year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

i should probably be spending more time on them tbh, but i did put a fair amount of effort into them and still ended up rejected but i suppose its the nature of the process and unavoidable really! thanks a lot, im hoping to try and make gains on the ones with SJT and VR tests as i think if you pass the benchmark your guaranteed an interview/Assessment center.
J-SP, do you work in HR or what is your background? I'm new to Studentroom but can see you always offer very helpful advice :smile:
Original post by neal95
i should probably be spending more time on them tbh, but i did put a fair amount of effort into them and still ended up rejected but i suppose its the nature of the process and unavoidable really! thanks a lot, im hoping to try and make gains on the ones with SJT and VR tests as i think if you pass the benchmark your guaranteed an interview/Assessment center.

Hi i'm sorry to hear about ashurst, however i just wanted to ask when you applied? i applied on the 13/09 but still haven't heard back! Ps. if you get through to HSF and need any assessment centre advice i'm more than happy to help, although i was unsuccessful i can give you an indication of what to expect! All the best :smile:
Original post by Smiles(:
Hi i'm sorry to hear about ashurst, however i just wanted to ask when you applied? i applied on the 13/09 but still haven't heard back! Ps. if you get through to HSF and need any assessment centre advice i'm more than happy to help, although i was unsuccessful i can give you an indication of what to expect! All the best :smile:

Thanks! That's probably a good sign as they are probably narrowing their list down and sending out pfos to people they definitely don't want to consider. I think I applied before going back to uni for my second year so that would be prior to the 15th of September for sure. If I'm lucky enough to succeed I'll call upon you for advice definitely! Thanks :smile:
Has anyone attempted the Clyde & Co vac scheme app? The first question is a bit odd. It is the following:
Why do you want to pursue a career as a solicitor at Clyde & Co and what willbe the main challenges?

Obviously the first part of this question is standard, but "what will be the main challenges"? Challenges in what context?? Challenges to practising as a solicitor at Clyde? Im really confused by this part.

Any insight will be appreciated!
Original post by J-SP
If you are that concerned, why not ask the firm you get an offer from as to whether the placement can be deferred to Spring/Summer when you will have an annual leave allowance to use up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a fair point - I suppose it's a case of crossing the bridge when I get to it, might not have any vac scheme offers to worry about...! Thanks very much for the advice.
Hey everyone,

Weil asks for AAB/340 UCAS Points for their Vac Scheme App.

Does this mean they want both or just one of them?

I have an A-Level Equivalent (IB) which scores 457 UCAS Points, but is just ABB when converted to A-Level...

Any thoughts, or experience with Weil and their grade policy?
Original post by J-SP
Why not contact them and ask?

If they state it like that though, I'd guess you can apply, although they might be using the 340 UCAS points to say someone could have achieved A*BB.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I will definitely contact them tomorrow.
I wanted to give them a ring, but my career center service suggested sending an email instead.

Would you prefer any method over the other?
I've just completed the Herbert Smith Freehills verbal reasoning test. For anyone with any upcoming tests or who wants to practice free verbal reasoning tests, I would reccomend the website www.verbalreasoningtest.org as they have 3 tests on there and one of them has a revolving question bank so you can get different ones each time. You can also check your scores, percentile, speed and accuracy.
Original post by neal95
I've just completed the Herbert Smith Freehills verbal reasoning test. For anyone with any upcoming tests or who wants to practice free verbal reasoning tests, I would reccomend the website www.verbalreasoningtest.org as they have 3 tests on there and one of them has a revolving question bank so you can get different ones each time. You can also check your scores, percentile, speed and accuracy.

Hey! Did you get a confirmation email when you submitted your application and was the test link sent to you straight away? I submitted 3 days ago and no email to do the test. Thanks.
Reply 216
Anyone applied to Slaughter's winter workshop?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by giggy12s
Hey! Did you get a confirmation email when you submitted your application and was the test link sent to you straight away? I submitted 3 days ago and no email to do the test. Thanks.

Hi :smile: yeah I got a confirmation email pretty soon after sending it and then had to wait all of yesterday, receiving my invitation to do the VRT at 10:50 today
Well, got the JD interview. Seriously dreading it.

I've also asked them if I could be transferred to a later scheme (I know this is not a good thing to do), so yeah.
Original post by *Stefan*
Well, got the JD interview. Seriously dreading it.

I've also asked them if I could be transferred to a later scheme (I know this is not a good thing to do), so yeah.

Well done! When did you apply?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending