The Student Room Group

Trump insults traumatised war veterans as 'not strong enough'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/10/04/donald-trump-says-some-veterans-are-not-strong-enough-to-handle/

Yesterday Trump said that the reason some people come back from war with mental-health issues is that they are not "strong" enough.

Purely as a factual matter (as if this needs saying), his comment is wrong; PTSD is a very natural and predictable result of the human brain being exposed to extended periods of stress and fear, to traumatic events, to having to live on adrenaline for months on end. It's yet another example of why this vulgar crook is completely unfit to be president.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by asmuse123
Trump is a piece of sh*t.

Agreed, he's awful. It's interesting that for the first time since 2000, a majority of over-65 voters prefer Clinton over Trump. As a cohort, that age group tends to vote Republican by a very significant margin (Romney won it by 18 points in 2012).

The elderly don't like Trump because they think he is crass, bombastic and acts very much inconsistently with traditional conservative American values (all the swearing, the time he insulted a woman presenter by talking about blood coming out of her vagina, his pro-Russian attitudes).

Although according to the polls Clinton will have a comfortable win, I would not at all be surprised if there was a landslide. Already Republicans in down-ticket races (i.e. senators and congressmen who are being elected on the same day, and whose fate often rises and falls with the presidential candidate) are starting to distance themselves from Trump, and talking about how voters should still vote for them as there will need to be someone to keep Clinton accountable when she is president.

If Trump doesn't have an exceptional debate performance in the next debate, he's finished.
Says the person who draft drodged like three times during the Vietnam War.
Reply 3
Yet people will vote for him. War can change anyone irrespective of them being mentally strong or not. You witness things beyond expectations. Seeing your fellow blown off by a grenade is horrible.

I watched an old WWE video yesterday of Trump getting a stunner from Stone Cold. Very deserving.
Reply 4
"When you talk about the mental health problems, when people come back from war and combat, they see things that maybe a lot of the folks in this room have seen many times over,” he said.

“And you're strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can't handle it.

"And they see horror stories, they see events that you couldn’t see in a movie nobody would believe it."

Like most Trump quotes, very much taken out of context, nice try shill.
Reply 5
“People come back from war and combat and they see maybe what the people in this room have seen many times over, and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it.”

This is the exact quote. Can you believe it? Leftists once again getting worked up over nothing.
Original post by AlexanderHam

PTSD is a very natural and predictable result of the human brain being exposed to extended periods of stress and fear, to traumatic events, to having to live on adrenaline for months on end.

And some traumatized people get PTSD while others don't. Purely as a factual matter you've got a way to go.
I'd love to throw him in front line battles and see how he copes.
[video="youtube;G-fYU2JpquQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-fYU2JpquQ[/video]

Purely as a factual matter (as if this needs saying), his comment is wrong; PTSD is a very natural and predictable result of the human brain being exposed to extended periods of stress and fear, to traumatic events, to having to live on adrenaline for months on end. It's yet another example of why this vulgar crook is completely unfit to be president.

Surely you agree with what he said then? That some people can deal with their experiences, and others need help?

Or do you not believe war Veterans need help in situations like this?
Original post by Farm_Ecology
Surely you agree with what he said then? That some people can deal with their experiences, and others need help?

Or do you not believe war Veterans need help in situations like this?

I think the issue is the phrasing suggests those who are "stronger" do not suffer PDST. More realistically it might suggest those who put up a veil of bravado seem stronger but don't get help.

People have different experiences in war, but certainly I'd argue someone who sees a friend blown into pieces or has to hold them until they die with their legs blown off, who then struggles to adjust to civilian life, isn't lacking in strength.

His point is valid, I think it's just throwing that word in, even if he didn't mean it in that way, didn't help the reception.
Original post by Joel 96
“People come back from war and combat and they see maybe what the people in this room have seen many times over, and you’re strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can’t handle it.”

This is the exact quote. Can you believe it? Leftists once again getting worked up over nothing.

It said exactly what I claimed it said. Why are Trumpites always such whining babies? Why can't you defend what your idiot leader said? Is it because 90% of what he says is completely indefensible?
Original post by ftw93
And you're strong and you can handle it, but a lot of people can't handle it.

It said exactly what I claimed it said. Why are Trumpites always such whining babies? Why can't you defend what your idiot leader said? Is it because 90% of what he says is completely indefensible?
geez i can never listen to the media when this stuff goes on. Every single time I hear trump slated as saying something bad and i go look or fact check it he said nothing wrong.

Its just getting ridiculous to a satirical extent now.
Reply 14

Nothing to defend, he said nothing wrong, you're getting desperate
Original post by ftw93
Nothing to defend, he said nothing wrong

Saying that soldiers who get PTSD aren't "strong" and can't "handle it" is wrong. Then again, you're probably one of the people who supports Trump when he praises Putin and Kim Jong-Il, and proposes turning Syria over to ISIS as a "free space". Why would I expect someone who is so moronic about everything else, and so mindlessly and cultishly devoted to Trump, to exercise common sense over this?

Having said that, the Trumpite lack of patriotism and contempt for soldiers is and will hurt him at the polls.

you're getting desperate

:lol: Given Trump is losing badly and now has almost no chance of winning, that seems like a rather laughable assertion. What reason would Hillary have to be desperate given she's almost certainly going to be elected president on November 4th?
Original post by Luke7456
Every single time I hear trump slated as saying something bad and i go look or fact check it he said nothing wrong.

Sorry, how are you claiming he didn't say it? These are his exact words;

It's almost like there's a Trumpite mental illness that means that even if something is indisputably true, somehow it becomes false in your mind if it's unfavourable to Trump. So deluded. No wonder he is losing so badly.
Reply 17
Saying that soldiers who get PTSD aren't "strong" and can't "handle it" is wrong.

No it isn't, people who get PTSD aren't mentally strong enough to handle what they've been through.

It's just desperate spinning of words from the media to draw attention away from Kaine flopping in the debates, everybody knows it.

He said a lot of people can't handle it, and that's a fact. Calling him an idiot, surprisingly, isn't an argument or some justification for your apparent attempt of an accusation. Also, "whining babies" is an ad hominem and has no place in discussion. If you wish to make an argument, make sure you back up your words with reason, fact and logic. Nothing Trump said was offensive to sufferers of PTSD. He simply stated a fact.
Reply 19
Original post by Orbital Rising
Says the person who draft drodged like three times during the Vietnam War.

It's crazy to see that many members of the Republican party were draft dodgers.

Elliott Abrams - Sought deferment for bad back.
Richard Armey - Sought college deferment, too smart to die.
Bill Bennett - Sought graduate school deferment, too smart to die.
Pat Buchanan - Sought deferment for bad knee.
George W. Bush - Daddy got him in the Texas National Guard and then he was missing for the last two years of his service.
Dick Cheney - Sought graduate school deferment, too smart to die.
Tom DeLay - Sought college deferment, too smart to die.
Newt Gingrich - Sought graduate school deferment, too smart to die.
Phil Gramm - Sought marriage deferment, too loved to die.
Jack Kemp - Sought medical deferment while in the NFL.
Rush Limbaugh - Sought deferment for ingrown hair follicle on his ass (:lol: it is true: http://www.snopes.com/politics/military/limbaugh.asp).
Trent Lott - Sought deferment, didn't want to muss his hair.
P.J. O'Rourke - Sought deferment, too stoned.
Dan Quayle - Family got him into the Reserves.
Pat Robertson - Father pulled him out of Korea as soon as the shooting began.
Kenneth Starr - Sought deferment for psoriasis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending