The Student Room Group

Can you swim?

Scroll to see replies

Swimming is so f***ing easy.
Original post by AB200
I don't get the whole, drowning thing... I'm not a strong swimmer but I sure as hell would be fine if I fell into a lake or river, unless current was high and messed me up in the meantime.

Swimming lengths in a pool is easy but I do think the average person would struggle swimming in cold water in baggy wet clothes in a current. That's the only situation that would worry me anyways. Pool temperatures are usually in the high 20s which is relatively comfortable. If you're in water below 10 Celsius then you'll probably be dead within an hour.
Reply 22
Original post by Tempest II
Swimming lengths in a pool is easy but I do think the average person would struggle swimming in cold water in baggy wet clothes in a current. That's the only situation that would worry me anyways. Pool temperatures are usually in the high 20s which is relatively comfortable. If you're in water below 10 Celsius then you'll probably be dead within an hour.

Yeah, but it wouldn't take an hour to reach the shore - even if you're dragging a kayak

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Yeah, but it wouldn't take an hour to reach the shore - even if you're dragging a kayak

Posted from TSR Mobile

In fresh water in the UK I'd agree with you. Even in Loch Ness you'd probably be fine as it's quite narrow. But in somewhere like the English Channel or North Sea where you've potentially got to deal with the tide too then all bets are off.
I would hope I could swim, I am a Lifeguard. Trust me, swimming with clothes on is a lot more tiring than swimming in a pool in ordinary swimming gear. Every month I go and train and I have to wear a t-shirt and shorts on top of my swimsuit and even that is tiring, especially doing the swim test (2 and half lengths under 60 seconds (20 meter pool)) or practicing towing people.

Most people (even strong swimmers) would struggle falling into a lake with ordinary clothes on, not to mention the addition of shock from the cold and sudden change.
Reply 25
Original post by Tempest II
In fresh water in the UK I'd agree with you. Even in Loch Ness you'd probably be fine as it's quite narrow. But in somewhere like the English Channel or North Sea where you've potentially got to deal with the tide too then all bets are off.

Well yeah, if you're in international waters you're screwed even if you're a strong swimmer; that's why we have boats

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Well yeah, if you're in international waters you're screwed even if you're a strong swimmer; that's why we have boats

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree with you but it's actually not necessarily all that easy to get back up onto a vessel should you go man over board. I remember when I went sailing in the Solent a few years ago & the policy was to inform the coastguard immediately if someone fell in the sea before trying to rescue them ourselves.
Otherwise the person would probably be dead due to hypothermia before the coastguard could arrive. To boats we were using were probably only about 20ft long but if you fell off of one you'd stand no chance of climbing back in without help from personnel still on board.
Trying to steer any boat bigger than a dingy into a position to rescue someone in cold, choppy seas isn't a task I'd want to try either.

I know I've kinda gone off topic but in certain circumstances then the ability to swim in somewhat irrelevant if the water temperature is too cold. If I fell into a canal on a British summer day I'd like to think I'd definitely be fine. If I did the same in mid winter then I'd be worried how I'd react to the initial shock of it & then the following dangers of hypothermia even if I managed to get ashore.
(edited 7 years ago)
I can swim but I'm a very weak swimmer. I don't like swimming in water above my head :colondollar: as the saying goes "**** floats" so I don't need to swim :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can , can't you ?:mute:
(edited 7 years ago)
I can swim.
Not a fan of it though :nah:
Original post by Andy98
I nearly did the lifeguard course when I was like 10, just couldn't be bothered

Posted from TSR Mobile

I quit too lol.
Original post by SayoniRoy
I can't swim but I am hoping to learn next year after my exams are over :smile:

Interesting; did your parents never take you swimming as a child?
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I'm the best at swimming. :u:

I love swimming too. I'm an absolute showoff every time I go to the pool :rofl:
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
bish I got to level 7 with my swimming
My butterfly is so pro and you know :cool:

That's awesome, congratulations! :biggrin:
Original post by fardm76
I can , can't you ? :laugh::mute:

Yes, I quite enjoy it too :smile:

I ask because I know some people can't
Original post by Rhaenys10
I love swimming too. I'm an absolute showoff every time I go to the pool :rofl:

I didn't see your comment on the 'religious' troll thread lol. And, me too. :u:
Original post by Spock's Socks
I can swim but I'm a very weak swimmer. I don't like swimming in water above my head :colondollar: as the saying goes "**** floats" so I don't need to swim :laugh:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awww don't refer to yourself like that :frown:

So you're not one for deep ends?
how can someone "not know how to swim"? what's not to know? flap your arms forward and kick your legs - bingo. there's a difference between "not knowing how to swim" and "being a bad swimmer"
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
how can someone "not know how to swim"? what's not to know? flap your arms forward and kick your legs - bingo

Some people never got taught as kids; you'd be surprised
I can swim, but I do not like swimming in public places e.g. public swimming pool, the sea.

Quick Reply

Latest