The Student Room Group

AJ's Autumn 2016 Anime Preview Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I have very little on my list this season... In fact, my list is currently one show: Ajin 2. Any word if that's being picked up by Crunchyroll or Funi this time? I don't mind fansubs but... eh.

I'll probably do the same thing I do most seasons and see how the airing shows have been rated after a couple of episodes. Worked well before with Re: Zero.
Original post by xDave-
I have very little on my list this season... In fact, my list is currently one show: Ajin 2. Any word if that's being picked up by Crunchyroll or Funi this time? I don't mind fansubs but... eh.

Almost certainly Netflix, which means a wait until the end of the season, unless you take the fansub option. :sadnod:
Crunchyroll has Kaitou Joker S4, Trickster and Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume.

Official subbed Crunchyroll trailers added for Yuri!!! on Ice, Occultic;Nine and 3-gatsu no Lion.
Reply 43
Original post by AngryJellyfish
Almost certainly Netflix, which means a wait until the end of the season, unless you take the fansub option. :sadnod:

Oh yes, forgot they did season 1. Ah well, fansubs it is then.
Magic-kyun! Renaissance

A lower budget UtaPri with less over the top characters, actions and music... was my initial impression, but for whatever reason, Magic-kyun! Renaissance's first episode really grew on me as it went on, so makes my maybe list. The fact that it focuses on different arts (painting, calligraphy, flower arranging etc) as opposed to being a generic idol anime is a plus, and I like Kohana's roommate Juri's style. Kohana herself is a fairly generic lead, a rare transfer student and the only one in the school whose artistic talents had yet to give rise to the magical 'sparkles' that are the mark of a true artista... though a few words of encouragement from our tsundere king fix soon fix that. It seems like the one true pairing has been decided from ep 1, though right now Ichijouji considers her an enemy for reasons unknown!

---

Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori

MEH. It's probably already a better show than Ranpo Kitan, with a clearer plot, cooler futuristic setting and slightly more interesting characters (including a less effeminate Kobayashi, who seems to exude forcefields without control, and is incapable of killing himself despite his best efforts)... far less style though. We've yet to see how much the mysteries in this series allow for viewer participation - if all the clues are there, and the pacing is decent, this could be a good detective show. I just feel the whole traditional detective vs master villain setup isn't for me. :dontknow: Plus points for revealing Twenty Faces' true face right from the first episode though... assuming that WAS his real face. :iiam: The animation seemed pretty average, so not much point keeping it on for the action - dropped.
Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume

Those character designs could take some getting used to! It's the weird eyes, I think. But aside from that, and the unnecessary boob jokes, another strong episode that demands a place on my maybe list. Agari is the ace of her school's table tennis club, and enjoys basking in the glory that this title brings with it... enter transfer student Koyori, who might just be a better player than her. The characters' personalities and the potential for rivalry all appeal to me, though it doesn't have the best animation for an action-packed sports series, which may be where it falls behind compared with Haikyuu!! and promising newcomers All Out!! and Yuri!!! on Ice. It probably featured more sweat than any sport anime I've watched before though - and given the speed at which professional ping pong players play, they might not even be an over-exaggerating!
@AngryJellyfish which one is this? :smile:

Original post by PrinceHarrys
@AngryJellyfish which one is this? :smile:

None of the series from this season's lineup, I'm afraid - copyright law means we can't have images from the actual series on TSR's front page, so I just went with some nice fan art that went with the season. :o: Here's the larger version, though:

Original post by AngryJellyfish
None of the series from this season's lineup, I'm afraid - copyright law means we can't have images from the actual series on TSR's front page, so I just went with some nice fan art that went with the season. :o: Here's the larger version, though:

Original post by PrinceHarrys

Not as far as I know. :s:
For those who prefer dubs, Funimation will be bringing us Drifters, Keijo!!!!!!!!, Shuumatsu no Izetta, Yuri!!! on Ice, All Out!!, Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru, Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, Trickster, Nanbaka and Show By Rock!!# It doesn't say whether they'll be available on Funimation Now in the UK, but that has to be better than there being no dub out there at all. :smile:

They're also going back to dub a lot of last season's bigger series, including 91 Days, Mob Psycho, Orange, ReLIFE and Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin.

Speaking of last season, feel free to vote for your favourite show to have aired during the summer in my big end of season poll. :blow:
Only one today, Tuesdays are busy for me...

Nanbaka

Bare chests, long bright coloured hair, fangs, heterochromia, crossdressers... sold. But fanservice aside, this was far more my kind of humour than the mundane WWW[noparse].[/noparse]WORKING!! Seeing supposedly uncontainable prisoners try to escape a supposedly inescapable prison is quite a different setting, and with both the guards and inmates displaying hilarious levels of idiocy, I can't see myself getting bored by this. All the standard booby traps made an appearance, from crushing walls and rolling boulders to spike pits and timed self-destruct mechanisms. Dialogue was well written and fun, animation was adequate, very bright and colourful. There also seems to be something of a mystery plot, revolving around Jyugo's shackles. Definitely picked up!
(edited 7 years ago)
Switched the Brave Witches trailer for Crunchyroll's official one.
Bungou Stray Dogs 2

Given that the first series ended on quite a cliffhanger, with the Guild, the Agency and the Port Mafia at odds with each other, I wasn't expecting a sudden flashback to Dazai's past in the mafia! And he wasn't even the main focus - instead we were introduced to Odasaku, a low-ranking member with a ridiculously OP precognitive ability, but whose value to the mafia is limited by the fact that he refuses to kill. Honestly, this guy might be more interesting than any member of the main cast introduced so far! He and Dazai end up investigating the sudden disappearance of a mutual friend and key mafia intelligence officer. A very serious, strong episode overall, though interspersed with the usual jarring comedy moments that never seem to feel right... I'll be giving Bungou Stray Dogs another chance.

---

Yuri!!! on Ice

Objectively, a lot better than some of the other shows I've picked up, both in terms of character and setting introduction and production values. That was a very pretty first episode. I liked the humour too. But... it didn't really catch my interest for whatever reason. Unlike a lot of sport anime set in schools, which take a while to build up to actual games or tournaments, our main character here is already a professional skater (albeit not performing well), and we saw lots of nicely animated figure skating from the get-go. Maybe I'm just not as interested in watching people spin around and jump as I am in seeing individuals or teams actually play against each other? :dontknow: Too good to rule out entirely, I'll give it another look if there's space in my list at the end of the week.

For now, I'll be picking up Bloodivores instead. :fangs:
(edited 7 years ago)
Soushin Shoujo Matoi

Well that wasn't what I was expecting! It opened on military-types speaking horrendously bad Engrish, and being massacred by some mystery CGI monsters referred to as 'Nights'. Shortly afterwards, we were introduced to the titular Matoi... briefly, before the focus shifted to her hard-boiled police detective of a father. Apparently there's a murderer on the loose, though he seems to have been possessed by some evil spirit. Eventually this guy ends up terrorizing the local shrine where Matoi works, and by complete coincidence, she sets off an ancient ritual that turns her into a magical girl/exorcist. The comedy was good, while the plot and characters show real potential. Animation was a little shaky in places, but I've seen worse. Yet another maybe for me - I'll have to start clearing that list soon, though.

---

Brave Witches

The latest series in the Strike Witches franchise. Same old setting, same old enemies, same old airplane stockings that look as though they'd explode if the girls wearing them ever dared to close their legs... not that they'd ever do that, this show thrives on its crotch shots. :rolleyes: As you may have gathered, not my kind of series, and I say that having yawned my way through the whole of Strike Witches S1. If it does sound like your kind of series, rest assured that the animation was pretty good, while the voice acting and music were superb. You don't have to have watched any earlier Strike Witches series either, so can just jump into this one if you'd prefer. The all-new characters didn't interest me though, the protagonist was your generic 'unskilled, but tries hard' genki girl. Dropped as expected.
So far i've only seen trickster and the one about the germanian empire.

Shall keep both for now :P

Finished White album 2 , tears are now free (:frown: , methinks im ready for clannad.
Original post by TSR Mustafa
So far i've only seen trickster and the one about the germanian empire.

Shall keep both for now :P

Izetta wasn't bad at all, I'm half hoping that one of the titles on my want to watch list turns out to be really disappointing, so I've got a valid excuse for picking it up instead. :p:

Today should be busy for me, six more to come (if everything that airs is subbed on time), three of which I'd planned on keeping on. In the meantime, I've still got one from yesterday to cover... back in an hour or so. :ciao:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending