The Student Room Group

Graduates Applying for Undergraduate Courses

Hello everyone,

I want to apply to a few universities that accept a relatively large amount of graduates. Can't find statistics online apart from some unis like Aberdeen and Leicester. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some of the statistics or know some unis if they have quite a few graduates in the course.
Not sure why this should come into play or if these stats are available. Apply where you want to go to study. Why worry about who else may be there?
Reply 2
Original post by Captain127
Hello everyone,

I want to apply to a few universities that accept a relatively large amount of graduates. Can't find statistics online apart from some unis like Aberdeen and Leicester. I was wondering if anyone can point me in the direction of some of the statistics or know some unis if they have quite a few graduates in the course.

Smart way to do it, but, there's very few statistics that have been pooled together.

My suggestion would be to narrow down your choices by cutting the places you'd never want to go, then use your GCSEs/UKCAT/BMAT score to cut out the ones you would struggle getting into.

Then template an email (in the style of FOI) to the remaining ones asking for the statistics on the proportions of grads to undergrads on their course.

Original post by alleycat393
Not sure why this should come into play or if these stats are available. Apply where you want to go to study. Why worry about who else may be there?

As they are likely a graduate and want to maximise their chance of receiving an offer to a Medical course by applying to a University (such as Leicester) which admits a high proportion of graduate students to their undergraduate Medicine course.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by -Simon-

As they are likely a graduate and want to maximise their chance of receiving an offer to a Medical course by applying to a University (such as Leicester) which admits a high proportion of graduate students to their undergraduate Medicine course.

Hmm I get this to some extent but not sure it matters. If you're applying for the undergrad course you still have to meet the entry requirements and will most likely be reviewed with everyone else.
Reply 4
Hmm I get this to some extent but not sure it matters. If you're applying for the undergrad course you still have to meet the entry requirements and will most likely be reviewed with everyone else.

You are quite correct however:

1) Admissions wise it is often the case that the vast majority of applicants have reached the entry requirements, then it becomes the task of sorting for interview. For instance, some universities sought out the students with the best GCSEs (such as Birmingham back in my day) or some universities sought out the higher UKCATs (Newcastle back in my day). Therefore, it is likely that some Universities seek out applicants that have attained previous degrees and give more points or weighting to these students. I like to think of it like the sorting selection for houses in Harry Potter, some people have qualifications/abilities/personalties that suit certain places. The difficulty of the medical application is you have to reflect on who you are as a person and find the Medical School that most closely resembles you/your strengths.

2) Some Universities after removing their Graduate courses have made certain pledges to admit a certain proportion/percentage to the Undergraduate course. Therefore, the population you are selecting from is reduced and statistically you are more likely be accepted.

3) Many people don't care where they end up as long as they are a doctor. This is, to my mind, a very positive thing as chances are if they end up going into a competitive speciality they will have to move around the country to progress.
Original post by -Simon-
You are quite correct however:

1) Admissions wise it is often the case that the vast majority of applicants have reached the entry requirements, then it becomes the task of sorting for interview. For instance, some universities sought out the students with the best GCSEs (such as Birmingham back in my day) or some universities sought out the higher UKCATs (Newcastle back in my day). Therefore, it is likely that some Universities seek out applicants that have attained previous degrees and give more points or weighting to these students. I like to think of it like the sorting selection for houses in Harry Potter, some people have qualifications/abilities/personalties that suit certain places. The difficulty of the medical application is you have to reflect on who you are as a person and find the Medical School that most closely resembles you/your strengths.

2) Some Universities after removing their Graduate courses have made certain pledges to admit a certain proportion/percentage to the Undergraduate course. Therefore, the population you are selecting from is reduced and statistically you are more likely be accepted.

3) Many people don't care where they end up as long as they are a doctor. This is, to my mind, a very positive thing as chances are if they end up going into a competitive speciality they will have to move around the country to progress.

Thanks for that. Informative for other people reading this. I work in a medical school!
Reply 6
Thanks for that. Informative for other people reading this. I work in a medical school!

Haha, well don't I have egg on my face.
Reply 7

It matters a lot! For example.....Birmingham accepts up to 334 students on their A100 course, However, only 5-10 of those places are available to graduates.
Original post by NHSFan
It matters a lot! For example.....Birmingham accepts up to 334 students on their A100 course, However, only 5-10 of those places are available to graduates.

Brum has a grad entry medicine course for grads which is probably why.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Ok but they put this on their website as will other places where this is a formal thing. Other than that if there are no stats then there's no point in worrying about this.

You mean that there's no point worrying, as they can find out by reading each med school's website?
Reply 10
Brum has a grad entry medicine course for grads which is probably why.

Possibly to also stop potential students with money thinking they can leapfrog school leavers for places.
If the uni has a grad entry program they may not take on too many grads for their undergrad program. All this info should be on the website. If not email the uni and ask.
Reply 12
Thanks for the replies. I was just wondering if anyone may have done this already and could provide information they may have received. I will also contact universities as well of course, I just want to maximise my chances.
Reply 13
Original post by NHSFan
Possibly to also stop potential students with money thinking they can leapfrog school leavers for places.

I know many graduates studying undergraduate medicine, and they certainly aren't 'students with money'.

They often have to work hard to fund their studies, and spend their holidays working, too.
Reply 14
Original post by Amedic
I know many graduates studying undergraduate medicine, and they certainly aren't 'students with money'.

They often have to work hard to fund their studies, and spend their holidays working, too.

Fair play to them......however, I would still say that having £36k for fees and the required addtional money for maintenance (their maintenance loan would almost certainly not be enough to live on) would make them pretty well off in my opinion. I suppose that the 5 year course does at least give them sufficient time to have a job alongside the course.
I'm a graduate applying to 5-year medicine courses and I'm by no means from money! I'm applying as there are not only more places open to me as an arts graduate, but there are more places in general. NCL's grad entry has 25 places compared to 300 or so for A100. I'll be up against school leavers for places and I'm well aware of this. At many medical schools, if you are a graduate/mature student, your GCSEs are not taken into consideration as qualifications tend to not be considered if they were completed more than 7/8 years ago. That's not to say getting in is any easier. Glasgow's 2015 intake included 28% of graduates and medical schools in general value mature applicants.
Apologies to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am graduate applying for undergraduate medicine, and my UCAS application is ready to be sent away. However, I'm only after noticing that nowhere in the application have I been giving the opportunity to enter my degree classification. Would anyone be able to confirm that this is right, or if I am missing something? Many thanks.
[QUOTE=Jollynero;67954036]Apologies to hijack the thread, but I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I am graduate applying for undergraduate medicine, and my UCAS application is ready to be sent away. However, I'm only after noticing that nowhere in the application have I been giving the opportunity to enter my degree classification. Would anyone be able to confirm that this is right, or if I am missing something? Many thanks.

Hi it should be on the education section :smile: have another look and make sure you haven't selected pending or something by mistake. I'm a graduate and I put mine in ok so it's definitely there.
Original post by thtgreeneyedgirl
Hi it should be on the education section :smile: have another look and make sure you haven't selected pending or something by mistake. I'm a graduate and I put mine in ok so it's definitely there.

Thank you so much! Couldn't tell you how I missed that!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending