The Student Room Group

Viva's Coeliac Blog

Last week I was diagnosed with Coeliac Disease so now I am one of the awful dick heads who asks if everything has gluten in. As I was in Amsterdam for four days last weekend (there was no way I was starting Gluten Free abroad), today is my first day on my new diet.

I don't really expect anyone to contribute to this blog, it's really just for me to make a note of things that I try and how I'm feeling over time. If you have any good tips for places to eat or supermarkets that have a good free from offering, they would be gratefully received.

So, I'm pretty nervous about starting this whole thing. I'm basically eating 24/7 so knowing that all my options are restricted has caused me significant anxiety. I did my first little shop today so today and tomorrow I will be mostly sampling the things pictured below, as well as some gluten free beers (swear to God those better be decent or I'll scream).

14494703_10154409329345867_1407829826222438156_n.jpg

I also get to take these chewable delights twice a day since I have the bones of a 90 year old woman.

Attachment not found

Edit: Going to start a list of gluten free items that I like/dislike for future reference or on the slim chance someone else is interested.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hope you can make tasty gluten free recipes- loads online.

I just wanted to ask what were your symptoms and how did the doctors diagnose?
Good luck.
Original post by lulucoco98
Hey, sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Hope you can make tasty gluten free recipes- loads online.

I just wanted to ask what were your symptoms and how did the doctors diagnose?

Thanks! I was more or less symptomless, though on reflection I can't really remember what it feels like to not be experiencing a sort of low-level discomfort, extreme tiredness and low mood. I kind of just assumed that was who I was as a person lol. A positive blood test indicated there was a high chance of coeliac but then I had to have a biopsy to confirm - the biopsy is basically a tube down your throat into your intestine where it takes a few samples to test for damage to the villi.

Original post by Wilfred Little
Good luck.

Thanks! :h:

FYI everyone, the ginger snaps smelled and tasted like feet and had the consistency and appeal of a cinder block.
It must be easier than going vegan :tongue:

Also exercise will help with the bone thing.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It must be easier than going vegan :tongue:

Also exercise will help with the bone thing.

Lol exercise, you don't know me at all.
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Lol exercise, you don't know me at all.

Yes I do :tongue:

That's why I suggested it. Since you don't do it, doing it may help a lot with the bone thing :tongue:

Just go for a walk listening to a podcast or something.
Yes I do :tongue:

That's why I suggested it. Since you don't do it, doing it may help a lot with the bone thing :tongue:

Just go for a walk listening to a podcast or something.

Nah, I'll stick to staying in bed thanks.

Speaking of bed, breakfast in bed this morning - gluten free bread was a little...hard. But toasted up nicely :h: (one half peanut butter, and the other half honey, for pudding).

14581296_10154410968850867_4114440885720084472_n.jpg
Fml, I bought some lentils and wild rice for the microwave from M&S which looked fine from the ingredients, no wheat or gluten containing ingredients.

Just about to cook them for my lunch and further down the label it says not suitable for people with wheat intolerance or coeliacs due to manufacturing processes. Goddammit, either wash your factory line down properly or don't do it at all.
Nah, I'll stick to staying in bed thanks.

Speaking of bed, breakfast in bed this morning - gluten free bread was a little...hard. But toasted up nicely :h: (one half peanut butter, and the other half honey, for pudding).

14581296_10154410968850867_4114440885720084472_n.jpg

Have you got the results of the DEXA scan yet?
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Have you got the results of the DEXA scan yet?

No! It was a week ago Tuesday now. I called yesterday and I'm going to call again now (thanks for the reminder)...
No! It was a week ago Tuesday now. I called yesterday and I'm going to call again now (thanks for the reminder)...

I'm just saying cos our friendly neighbourhood awkster is kinda right. You're at the age now where you're literally at your lifetime peak bone mineral density. You need to take it srsly if you don't wanna have old lady bones at 40.
Reply 12
Subbing because I have always thought about going gluten free (slowly starting to). Sorry to hear about your diagnosis though. :hugs:
Original post by Airmed
Subbing because I have always thought about going gluten free (slowly starting to). Sorry to hear about your diagnosis though. :hugs:

Thanks :h: I'm going to start making a note of the gluten free items I try and if they are gross or alright, in case you ever want to know.

In an attempt to ease myself in, I've created the world's most unhealthy dinner; steak pie, cabbage and cheesy mash on a bed of lunch time's leftover plate mess (little insight into my life there).

14591790_10154412194085867_6917182885834060844_n.jpg
Reply 14
Thanks :h: I'm going to start making a note of the gluten free items I try and if they are gross or alright, in case you ever want to know.

In an attempt to ease myself in, I've created the world's most unhealthy dinner; steak pie, cabbage and cheesy mash on a bed of lunch time's leftover plate mess (little insight into my life there).

Cheesy mash :gah:
Original post by Airmed
Cheesy mash :gah:

Mash is my absolute all time favourite food :love:
Reply 16
Mash is my absolute all time favourite food :love:

I absolutely love it.

You eat butterflys? :lolwut:
You eat butterflys? :lolwut:

Whole.
Good luck. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest