The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Yes, those colleges where they have decided that they want the right to use section 2 will do so on a subject by subject decision and will inform candidates in the relevant subjects if this is likely to happen. Other colleges have imposed a blanket decision across all subjects not to use them.

I don't think worked solutions for section 2 will be provided, certainly not in essay subjects as there's no right answer and I know of no plans for science subjects.

Ok. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would be considered a rather odd thing to do without significant extenuating circumstances but it wouldn't rule you out if you did do it. The best thing to do though is to concentrate on the future not obsess about perfecting your GCSEs.

Oh ok. Thanks :smile:
Some colleges have reserved the right to use section 2 at interview while others have decided not to use it. If you are asked at interview about section 2 you will be told beforehand and you will be sent your unmarked script.

Oh alright then :smile: Thanks for answering my questions
No, as I said in an earlier post, marks are not released automatically to students except in the BMAT and ELAT which they do for other universities as well. Telling students at interview would be a really bad idea - it would destroy the confidence of those who had not done particularly well and give false confidence to those who had done well.

So you used the term 'false confidence' does that mean that someone scoring very highly on the NSAA won't even be considered that strong of a candidate?
Hi just wondering if you could give some insight into what sort of questions might be asked/things discussed at a history interview? (Kinda worried about being tested on factual knowledge after putting in my school topics on the SAQ haha)

And also I was wondering how much is read into school statistics when considering applicants? Only because just looked it up and realised my school is about 30 points below the national average lol (in terms of average for a - level point score). Is 30 points significantly below?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by k.russell
So you used the term 'false confidence' does that mean that someone scoring very highly on the NSAA won't even be considered that strong of a candidate?

No, not at all but they might overemphasise the importance of the assessments. They are part of the process but it's important for applicants not to imagine that they are pass or fail and that one has to do really well in order to be in with a chance or that if they do well then they are all but in.
No, not at all but they might overemphasise the importance of the assessments. They are part of the process but it's important for applicants not to imagine that they are pass or fail and that one has to do really well in order to be in with a chance or that if they do well then they are all but in.

I see - thank you again Dr Spencer
Reply 327
I am in year 13, I took Math to the full A level in year12 (but the school cash in only Math As level) along with physics and chemistry. This year ,I consider to drop Chemistry and it will left only Physics and Further Math to learn. Will this consider as only 2 subjects and whether Cambridge will view this as weak application?
I will apply to Computer Science, do the subjects I study is enough for the course?and If I do not drop chemistry, will the offer will come with chemistry as A*A*A on Further Math, Physics and chemistry and do not count math A* in year12?
Would it be possible to be entered in for those additional exams after receiving offers, or do UCAS need to know every exam you're going to take?

I'm thinking of taking additional maths exams (FP1 and S2) for economics.
Original post by Strimpy
Hi just wondering if you could give some insight into what sort of questions might be asked/things discussed at a history interview? (Kinda worried about being tested on factual knowledge after putting in my school topics on the SAQ haha)

And also I was wondering how much is read into school statistics when considering applicants? Only because just looked it up and realised my school is about 30 points below the national average lol (in terms of average for a - level point score). Is 30 points significantly below?

Posted from TSR Mobile

30 points is significantly below average so if you have done well in that context that will be a good sign of potential.

Most colleges tend to run two interviews in history, one focusing more on a source that they will give you to look at and one focusing more on the essays that you have sent in. Questions on the personal statement might come in either interview.
Hi, I was wondering whether you could give some advice about tutor references please? I am worried that whilst the content of my reference will be very positive there is a chance that my tutor may not write at the same standard as those who write many Cambridge references every year. This is her first year as a year 13 tutor and felt she didn't know much about what to include in my reference. I have given her some ideas that I would like included but won't see the reference before submission. Does the quality of the teacher reference matter in the same way as it does with regards to the personal statement?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pattyps
I am in year 13, I took Math to the full A level in year12 (but the school cash in only Math As level) along with physics and chemistry. This year ,I consider to drop Chemistry and it will left only Physics and Further Math to learn. Will this consider as only 2 subjects and whether Cambridge will view this as weak application?
I will apply to Computer Science, do the subjects I study is enough for the course?and If I do not drop chemistry, will the offer will come with chemistry as A*A*A on Further Math, Physics and chemistry and do not count math A* in year12?

It wouldn't be considered weak to apply with just FM and Physics in Year 13, its not your fault the way your school chooses to do Maths and FM.

Offers are made on a case by case basis but I would expect you to get an 2 A* A offer on your year 13 subjects if you kept up Chemistry and 2 A*s if you don't.
30 points is significantly below average so if you have done well in that context that will be a good sign of potential.

Most colleges tend to run two interviews in history, one focusing more on a source that they will give you to look at and one focusing more on the essays that you have sent in. Questions on the personal statement might come in either interview.

Ok thanks so much :h:

Also sorry to bother you with another question but how does it work with sending in the essays? I've read around some of the College websites and the impression I've got is that you have to post it to your college, but I'm not sure how this would work with me making an open application?
Hi Dr Spencer thank you for doing this, I'm applying for Physical Natural Sciences and was wondering whether I stand a good chance or not

At GCSE I got 10A*'s and 2A's
I got A in AS Physics (2nd in my college) and AS Chemistry and got A* in my maths A level. My UMS is:
Core 1- 100
Core 2- 99
Core 3- 100
Core 4- 100
Mechanics 1- 100
Decision 1- 100
Further Pure 1 (self taught)- 87
Decision 2- 80

Thank you again for doing this :smile:
Hi
I am applying to this Engineering this year but the way i did my a levels is different i have done all of Mathematics and 4/6 units in further mathematics.
this year i am going to be doing the 2 other units in further mathematics and also all of Physics a level. The reason i did it this way is because i am doing it early i am 15 currently These are my scores in units i have done
C1 97
C2 90
C3 93
C4 90
S1-87
S2-100
D1-90
D2-85
FP1-100
FP2-100
M1-THIS YEAR
M2-THIS YEAR
PHYSICS-THIS YEAR PREDICTED A*
maths gcse-A*
all other gcse i am predicted A*s and As
so hopefully i will have minimum of A*A*A but i think i will get A*A*A*
Do you think i will have high chance of getting an interview?

all this maths is all self taught
Hello! :smile: Thank you for taking time answering to this thread, it's really appreciated!
I'm applying from France for NatSci (physical) and predicted an 18/20 at the bac (with OIB). I have done 3 GCSE's and one AS level as my school offered us to do so. Unfortunately I got A*BC in gcses for maths English lit and English language respectively but this was my first year of international education and basically completed my gcse's in less than 10 months. My teacher mentioned this is my reference. Also I got an A in maths AS level with average UMS but as I did those AS alongside my French Bac curriculum I was wondering how important these grades will be in considering my application?

Furthermore I am doing my school transcript with my uni tutors and we were wondering if it was ok to put last year's averages from my school report as those are what we consider "internal examinations". I have looked at the overseas model on the Cambridge website.

Thank you for your help :smile:
Reply 336
It wouldn't be considered weak to apply with just FM and Physics in Year 13, its not your fault the way your school chooses to do Maths and FM.

Offers are made on a case by case basis but I would expect you to get an 2 A* A offer on your year 13 subjects if you kept up Chemistry and 2 A*s if you don't.

It is great that you are here to reply Thank you very much
Hi
i have one more questions i have been looking at the ENGAA specimen paper and it looks kind of easy-okish, will the questions be of similar difficulty or will it be much harder? i have looked at other admission tests and for some the specimen and the past papers are completely different (the past papers are harder) would this be the same with ENGAA because there are 54 questions?
Original post by Strimpy
Ok thanks so much :h:

Also sorry to bother you with another question but how does it work with sending in the essays? I've read around some of the College websites and the impression I've got is that you have to post it to your college, but I'm not sure how this would work with me making an open application?

If you make an Open application you will then be allocated to a college. The college will tell you about their procedures for sending your essay(s).
Original post by jneill
If you make an Open application you will then be allocated to a college. The college will tell you about their procedures for sending your essay(s).

Ok thanks for clarifying :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending