The Student Room Group

Graduated with a third class degree in Computing

I've graduated with a third-class degree in Computing from a Russel group university.I'm currently looking for a full-time graduate job, just don't know how to explain to employers about third class honours. Exams wasn't for me even though I revised so hard for them. I did well in the coursework side getting 1st and 2:1 in the course, just that the exam results let me down. Please could anyone give me advice on what to say to employers at interviews? As I feel my degree classification is letting me down. Thanks
Reply 1
It's important that you are positive about it and that you show your employers that you can bounce back from failure. You can tell them how you plan on improving, what have you learned from the experience and what you'll do differently when working for the company.
Original post by InspireXan
I've graduated with a third-class degree in Computing from a Russel group university.I'm currently looking for a full-time graduate job, just don't know how to explain to employers about third class honours. Exams wasn't for me even though I revised so hard for them. I did well in the coursework side getting 1st and 2:1 in the course, just that the exam results let me down. Please could anyone give me advice on what to say to employers at interviews? As I feel my degree classification is letting me down. Thanks

Emphasise your strengths on your cv; if you have good coursework marks then you can probably do a computing job. Do you have any experience working on projects extra-curricular? If not I would recommend getting experience working on other projects and then put that on your CV because experience is more important
Reply 3
Assuming you put the classification on the application, if you got an interview it's obviously not a complete barrier. I'm not sure there's a great deal you can say as such - you can mention bits you did well on and that you did go to a Russell Group University but I'd try to change the topic as soon as you can!

The good news is that once you've been working for a year or two your work experience will be seen as much more important than your degree classification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending