The Student Room Group

Can you swim?

Scroll to see replies

Nope. The facilities in my city weren't as good back then.
Original post by SayoniRoy
Nope. The facilities in my city weren't as good back then.

Ah fair enough, that's quite understandable then :smile:

Are you intimidated by the thought of learning to swim?
Reply 42
i can swim on my back really well. could swim for england when on my back. however when im on my front my, quote my cousin, i look like a drowning dog.
Yup
Yep and I love open water swimming! Did the Thames last year! Last Triathlon was BUCS at Southport in a very cold lake.
Actually I feel kind of shy. I often see young kids swimming whereas I am 17. However, I have decided not to feel anxious and learn something which could potentially help me in the future :smile:
Original post by KingGoonIan
Yep and I love open water swimming! Did the Thames last year! Last Triathlon was BUCS at Southport in a very cold lake.

How did you cope with the temperature? I remember going swimming in a scottish loch on one of my holidays and being unable to withstand the temperature any further after about 20 mins
No.

Reason: DCD makes it hard to the point at which it's simply not worth my time. (I'd rather be doing other things that are more rewarding)
Original post by SayoniRoy
Actually I feel kind of shy. I often see young kids swimming whereas I am 17. However, I have decided not to feel anxious and learn something which could potentially help me in the future :smile:

Good on you! I hope that swimming pans out to be rewarding for you :biggrin:
Original post by _gcx
No.

Reason: DCD makes it hard to the point at which it's simply not worth my time. (I'd rather be doing other things that are more rewarding)

I apologise if this is an ignorant question but what is DCD?

Oh, dyspraxia :facepalm:

I have that too, apparently. It's never stopped me from swimming though :smile:
I can swim. Doesn't everyone learn it at school though?
I could never get the hang of it :/ (I had lessons for a few years, but no dice)
I got a swimming award when I was in year 5 :biggrin: Where I hardly ever swim though I'm pretty s*** now, I mean I can swim a good distance and stay afloat very well, but it's an incredibly ungracious form of swimming :rofl:
Original post by _gcx
I could never get the hang of it :/ (I had lessons for a few years, but no dice)

What about it do you struggle with? I don't get it
Original post by Trapz99

My school did, but nah, most schools don't tbh. Nobody else' school I knew when I was younger did swimming and I don't really know any kids now who do.
Original post by Trapz99

Not that I remember; I only remember being taken by my grandparents to private swimming lessons
Kinda difficult to explain, it was just the co-ordination of it really. (can't remember it that well)
Used to be on a swimming team. Didn't really like diving and doing the flip under water to change direction. I think my team came in 3rd place in some competition. I'm not tall enough to swim competitively.

Quick Reply

Latest