The Student Room Group

?A Level Maths?

Could I do A level maths with strong algebra skills but weak in the other areas of maths like number and wordy problems? I know this sounds weird as it's usually the other way round for people but I'm different I guess but could it be done and btw i love maths thanks!!
A level is full of algebra bs so theoretically you should be really good at it.
Most people could do A Level maths with a scientific calculator and a "can-do" attitude, so go for it.
Definitely. But you'll struggle in mechanics if you can't do wordy questions.
Lucky for you, though, further maths is almost entirely algebra!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Datalwo
Could I do A level maths with strong algebra skills but weak in the other areas of maths like number and wordy problems? I know this sounds weird as it's usually the other way round for people but I'm different I guess but could it be done and btw i love maths thanks!!

You could be a physicist.

Original post by AlexFam
Definitely. But you'll struggle in mechanics if you can't do wordy questions.
Lucky for you, though, further maths is almost entirely algebra!

There is what? Like one wordy question on the entire exam :-/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly

M2 and M3 are almost entirely wordy questions, what are you talking about?
Original post by AlexFam

Really? :lolwut:

Have you not taken any mechanics yet? They are very often word /scenario problems.

We just finished M1 and C1 this week and even M1 has heavily worded questions. M2 booklet is even more of it, so far.

Haha, it's actually nearly all words. :smile:
Original post by Athematica
Have you not taken any mechanics yet? They are very often word /scenario problems.

I'll think you'll find I have mechanics coming out the wazoo what with me graduating with a physics degree two years ago. :holmes:

I did M1 back in my day and I can only really remember doing maths questions. Maybe things have changed. Although if you understand the maths you can just turn that into words for wordy questions. At least it was like that for me.

Original post by Oxidation
Haha, it's actually nearly all words. :smile:

What on earth... There is a reason physics is described with maths, not flipping sentences. :tongue:

Guess it is making sure you understand the concepts. At uni we got a certain amount of choice with the questions. There would be like 5 big ones in section b. Three maths heavy ones. Two wordy ones. You chose to answer three. My relativity exams were like that.
(edited 7 years ago)
I'll think you'll find I have mechanics coming out the wazoo what with me graduating with a physics degree two years ago. :holmes:

I did M1 back in my day and I can only really remember doing maths questions. Maybe things have changed. Although if you understand the maths you can just turn that into words for wordy questions. At least it was like that for me.

What on earth... There is a reason physics is described with maths, not flipping sentences. :tongue:

Guess it is making sure you understand the concepts. At uni we got a certain amount of choice with the questions. There would be like 5 big ones in section b. Three maths heavy ones. Two wordy ones. You chose to answer three. My relativity exams were like that.

Ohh you studied Physics? At what university of you don't mind me asking?

Yeah, mechanics is really wordy. Especially M3.
I lost all of my marks in the M3 paper because I read the questions wrong. I got the answer right if the question was what I had read :biggrin:
Original post by AlexFam

M2 and M3 aren't necessarily relevant if you don't do further tho, right?

Quick Reply

Latest