The Student Room Group

Life is so underwhelming

Scroll to see replies

I spend my weekdays working at uni and always have weekends with my girlfriend to look forward to. I'm happy with that - I live for the weekends basically and know the degree's gonna be worth it in a few years' time.

Just gotta find that thing you really want - or that someone - and pursue it relentlessly :3
this kind of feeling is borne out of not having satisfying connections with people or not feeling fully appreciated/understood. Spend more time with people that make you feel whole like that and you'll start to see that it's not all bad if you have good people to experience things with.

I'd say I'm more dissapointed than underwhelmed by what's going on in the world and our country in general which makes you feel deflated and like agh **** off I'm going into my shell bye.
Reply 22
I feel you with the University thing. You just need to find good people to be around. Try joining a few societies, and make sure to exercise/ go to the gym
Sounds like depression to me: but I am NOT AN EXPERT SO DO NOT LISTEN TO MY DIAGNOSIS.
On that note, however, maybe you could consider seeing a professional? It might help, and if it doesn't then you just stop, you'be got nothing to lose.

That aside, life is what you make of it, and it can be great. It won't feel like that at the moment, but it really can be. Have you considered trying new things when going out with friends? also, what're you doing at uni, is it not interesting to you? Do you have any interests that you could pursue to try and get yourself going again?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by cheesefan
University is a con, as you are finding out. Nursing, medicine or broke.

Rip off Britain should have a whole segment dedicated to it lol
Original post by Little Popcorns
this kind of feeling is borne out of not having satisfying connections with people or not feeling fully appreciated/understood. Spend more time with people that make you feel whole like that and you'll start to see that it's not all bad if you have good people to experience things with.

I'd say I'm more dissapointed than underwhelmed by what's going on in the world and our country in general which makes you feel deflated and like agh **** off I'm going into my shell bye.

It is hard to feel appreciated when you feel nothing at all
, but being underwhelmed.
Original post by Anonymous
It is hard to feel appreciated when you feel nothing at all
, but being underwhelmed.
do you have friends and family that you're close with?
do you have friends and family that you're close with?

Yes, but nobody knows the real me. I hide everything.
:frown: this is really sad I think a lot of people can resonate with this and the best thing to do in this situation is 'grow into yourself' gradually show your friends and family little bits of who you really are :smile:. It really is unhealthy for you to be hiding everything like that physically and emotionally. Do you reckon you're in a place where you can do that? Start to be more who you are with the people that mean something to you in your life?

What is it they don't know about you? No worries if you don't want to say.
:frown: this is really sad I think a lot of people can resonate with this and the best thing to do in this situation is 'grow into yourself' gradually show your friends and family little bits of who you really are :smile:. It really is unhealthy for you to be hiding everything like that physically and emotionally. Do you reckon you're in a place where you can do that? Start to be more who you are with the people that mean something to you in your life?

What is it they don't know about you? No worries if you don't want to say.

Literally everything- they think I am happy. I really don't think I will ever be able to open up to anyone tbh.
Apologies for being born, I didn't ask to be here. I am here because of somebody elses wishes, yet I have to put up with the bu**sh*t and how underwhelming life is.

Ooh, you just did the 'I wish I hadn't been born' line...
Original post by Reality Check
Ooh, you just did the 'I wish I hadn't been born' line...

And?
And?

It's a bit clichéd teenager, isn't it? Is the next bit stomping off upstairs and slamming your bedroom door?

If you think there's something serious wrong in terms of apathy, then I suggest you see the doctor about it. But if you don't want to get any professional help then you're just going to have to get over it on your own. How do you expect anyone to be able to help you with this?
Everything is underwhelming, nothing is exciting. What is the point.

Just started Uni- very underwhelming, just an extension of college but means you can p**sed everyday (if you can afford it).

Tried out for a sports team for the first time- found it incredibly underwhelming and boring, quit after 1 session.

Never get excited to meet friends anymore, going out anywhere is almost undoubtedly going to be underwhelming and I would rather just stay at home on my own.

I could go on but don't want to bore you, basically life is underwhelming, I have not experienced excitement for some time now.

It feels like you should go on holiday, take some time out from normal day to day life and spend some free time exploring other things. I can promise you that there will be something out there that will excite you, you just need to find it :smile:

What do you hide and why?
Original post by Reality Check
It's a bit clichéd teenager, isn't it? Is the next bit stomping off upstairs and slamming your bedroom door?

If you think there's something serious wrong in terms of apathy, then I suggest you see the doctor about it. But if you don't want to get any professional help then you're just going to have to get over it on your own. How do you expect anyone to be able to help you with this?

No it's just that I see a lot more negatives than positives in life. All they would do is give me some toxic pills with ridiculous side effects, so that I can express an emotion which is fake, and live the rest of my life expressing the emotions only they want me to.
Original post by Captain Jack
What do you hide and why?

Because I don't really like many people to be honest. I am naturally very deceptive, usually just to make my own life easier, this is one thing which annoys me the most because sometimes I even do it to the people I love the most.
No it's just that I see a lot more negatives than positives in life. All they would do is give me some toxic pills with ridiculous side effects, so that I can express an emotion which is fake, and live the rest of my life expressing the emotions only they want me to.

This is an interesting view on antidepressants. They're not toxic (no more toxic than any other drugs) and have few side effects. However, the 'emotions only they want me to' bit is curious to me - who is 'they'? And why would 'they' want you to be expressing particular types of emotions?

I really hope you can find someone in real life (i.e. not this forum) to talk to about this.
life is underwhelming.
Quite the opposite for me, I wish I could take more on but I just don't have the energy.

Quick Reply

Latest