The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Best Accommodation at the University of Glasgow?

I'm applying to study Law at The University of Glasgow and I'm intending to stay at halls of residence for my first year (at least).

I stay relatively local to Glasgow (like 20 minutes drive) and could stay at home but the whole reason I want to stay at halls is to make friends (lol sad x) and experience the social and sort of community aspect of university.

So basically I want to ensure that I choose the best accommodation because I'd hate to waste an entire year of student loan by choosing the wrong place for me.

I was certain I wanted a room with an en suite but then I feel like those residences would diminish the social aspect greatly?

Any previous experience/advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 1
I stayed at Queen Margaret residences last year, and seeing all of the other halls it's easily the nicest. It is en-suite but as long as you don't get really unlucky with your flatmates you should still have a really good social life there, most people will relax with everyone else in the kitchen.
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Original post by caitlynm
I was certain I wanted a room with an en suite but then I feel like those residences would diminish the social aspect greatly?

Any previous experience/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hey there!

Glad to hear you're interested in staying in halls for first year. It's definitely a great idea, it makes it so easy to meet people and it's really good fun.

I've stayed at both the Student Apartments and Murano, which are very different. Murano is known for being very lively, you will easily meet a tonne of people and there will be plenty of socializing going on. This can be both good and bad if you want some quiet now and again. It's probably the most basic of the accommodations, but it's the cheapest.

Student Apartments (amongst other options) is much more relaxed. There will be parties here and there, but nowhere in the same capacity as with Murano. You're right by the university so you can easily go to any event in the West End.

Choosing the best accommodation will depend on exactly what you want. If you're into partying a lot, then Murano is ideal. Wolfson is the nicest halls, but it's the most expensive and it's away from the university. Others should be able to fill you in on the rest! :smile:

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Reply 3
Original post by Ohmycosh
I stayed at Queen Margaret residences last year, and seeing all of the other halls it's easily the nicest. It is en-suite but as long as you don't get really unlucky with your flatmates you should still have a really good social life there, most people will relax with everyone else in the kitchen.

Yeah it's the really unlucky flat mates thing I'm worried about, as I'm not the most outgoing person. Thank you though, you've sort of eased my mind slightly!

Do you mind if I ask what you're studying and whether you got a conditional/unconditional because I'm concerned that as I'm only going to be able to get a conditional for Law with my current grades that I'll be left with the accommodation that no one else wanted?
Reply 4
Original post by Glasgow Uni
Hey there!

Glad to hear you're interested in staying in halls for first year. It's definitely a great idea, it makes it so easy to meet people and it's really good fun.

I've stayed at both the Student Apartments and Murano, which are very different. Murano is known for being very lively, you will easily meet a tonne of people and there will be plenty of socializing going on. This can be both good and bad if you want some quiet now and again. It's probably the most basic of the accommodations, but it's the cheapest.

Student Apartments (amongst other options) is much more relaxed. There will be parties here and there, but nowhere in the same capacity as with Murano. You're right by the university so you can easily go to any event in the West End.

Choosing the best accommodation will depend on exactly what you want. If you're into partying a lot, then Murano is ideal. Wolfson is the nicest halls, but it's the most expensive and it's away from the university. Others should be able to fill you in on the rest! :smile:

Hope this helps,

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering

Thanks so much for the reply

The only thing with student apartments is are you guaranteed to be sharing with undergraduate first years or is it mixed?

I also was unable to visit the accommodation at the Open Day in September and now I'm really regretting it because the videos on the website are extremely generic, which I find off-putting because I can't really distinguish between places and what I like the look of!

Obviously you're gonna be biased but was Murano of a decent enough quality? (I just visited Edinburgh Open Day today and some halls were really dated and sort of grubby whilst others were modern and I loved)

I presume Glasgow is the same and seeing as the chances I'll get Queen Margaret are probably low, I don't want to accept Murano if I'll hate it!
Reply 5
Yeah it's the really unlucky flat mates thing I'm worried about, as I'm not the most outgoing person. Thank you though, you've sort of eased my mind slightly!

Do you mind if I ask what you're studying and whether you got a conditional/unconditional because I'm concerned that as I'm only going to be able to get a conditional for Law with my current grades that I'll be left with the accommodation that no one else wanted?

Neither am I to be honest, but it isn't the biggest problem. You can find a balance between alone time and hanging out. Most people there will be nice and you're likely to make friends, and if not then you'll probably make some friends from your course.

I'm studying computer science and maths, and I got a conditional offer. But accommodation isn't split into conditional and unconditional offers I believe, as long as you apply quickly you should be okay.

Obviously you're gonna be biased but was Murano of a decent enough quality? (I just visited Edinburgh Open Day today and some halls were really dated and sort of grubby whilst others were modern and I loved)

Hey,

I'm not sure exactly how they allocate rooms at Student Apartments. Certainly the majority were shared, but there were still single rooms available. Be sure to email the accommodation office if you have any specific questions!

Murano is not too outdated, it's just basic, but it's the cheapest halls so that's to be expected. It was decent enough for a year, and you'll be guaranteed to meet loads of people.

I've visited friends at halls in Edinburgh and you do get really nice ones, but a lot of it comes down to what you're willing to pay. There are so many factors, so it's really hard to advise!

Scott
Undergraduate Rep
School of Engineering
Hi @caitlynm :smile:

As Scott said, halls are a great option to meet many other 1st year undergraduate students!
We allocate 1st year undergraduates with other 1st year students in all undergraduate residences, including Student Apartments.

In Student Apartments there will be later year undergraduates living in some flats but they are not mixed in the same flat with 1st year undergraduates.

Our next Open Day is in October 22nd and we'll be giving tours of our residences: Wolfson Hall, Queen Margaret Residences and Murano Street Student Village. That's a good opportunity for you to come and see what's on offer! :biggrin:

You can register online for the event.

Best wishes
Sandra
Accommodation Services
Are there any residences which have a greater amount of students from a certain course?? like most engineering kids stay here, or most med kids stay here? Also do you suggest living in a double or a single room in the first year??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending