The Student Room Group

The underrepresentation of white working class boys in higher education

Scroll to see replies

what wrong with being a manager at Mcdonalds he could do an access course and go to university when he older if he likes. Also he would owner a lot of money when he finished university which scare a person who seen their family with money problems. There no guarantee of employment when you finished university
Original post by looloo2134
what wrong with being a manager at Mcdonalds he could do an access course and go to university when he older if he likes. Also he would owner a lot of money when he finished university which scare a person who seen their family with money problems. There no guarantee of employment when you finished university

Nothing except the fact it's literally something anybody could do. Not everyone can get A's in science a-levels, he probably could have gone to medical school if he really had wanted. There is no guarantee of employment if you don't go to university and in any case it depends on what you study, medicine graduates are pretty much guaranteed a job
Urgh, the same topic, different forum subsection! It's really simple.

The white working class hate "elitism" more than the Asian working class do. Elitism is synonymous with "educated" and "highly-accomplished" i.e. a well known doctor, politician, etc. I've witnessed this first hand when the majority of my school mates were from working-class families, the majority of white kids had the "yuk" look on their face when discussiong further education (A levels and beyond) because it was "nerdy" and their mom and pops don't like toffs. The Asian kids felt they HAD to into higher education, not just because they wanted better career prospects but because their mommy and daddy said so.

Why the disparity? Think of the "clever Jew" or "smart Asian" stereotype, it wasn't ALWAYS like this. There was a change that took place, THEN the stereotypes began emerging.

Culture. Or if you'd like, parenting.

End of.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do know anything about this young gentleman home life maybe he a career or living with grandparents or just that he was working class and white. I know a young lady who got 12A at GCSEs who trained as hairdresser because she was caring for mental ill mother and was living her grandmother.

Also, he got a full-time job with training after leaving school which not something anyone can get. It very hard to get any kind of employment with around 50 people applying for every job.

My friend who 38 just finished an Access to Science course at the local further education college with 4 Distinctions. He got offered 4 places to study at 4 different Medicine Schools he took up the offer at UCL. He left school at sixteen with low grades GCSEs and work full time as a support worker. What I saying is he can go to Medical School up to the age of 42 so he.could go when he older.
(edited 7 years ago)
Do know anything about this young gentleman home life maybe he a career or living with grandparents or just that he was working class and white. I know a young lady who got 12A at GCSEs who trained as hairdresser because she was caring for mental mother and was living her grandmother.

Also, he got a full-time job with training after leaving school which not anyone can get. It very hard to get any kind of employment with around 50 people applying for every job.

My friend who 38 just finished an Access to Science course at the local further education college with 4 Distinctions. He got offered 4 places to study at 4 different Medicine Schools he took up the offer at UCL. He left school at sixteen with low grades GCSEs and work full time as a support worker. What I say is he can go to Medical School up to the age of 42 so he.could go when he older.

He isn't anything like that, in his own words he's quitting his a-levels because 'he can't be arsed getting up to go in at 9am'

Are you kidding? Entry level jobs at places like Mcdonalds are easy as piss to get :laugh:

That's cool; I guess its his choice at the end of the day but the younger you are the more established you can get in your end career and therefore the money you can get paid
boys take longer time grow up than girls boys from all social classes drop out of a-level because they don't like getting out of beds it not just white working class lads. you are using one person behaviour to answer why a hold group of people are underrepresented in higher education

Also don't be a job snob it hard to get any job even Mcdonald or cleaning in a few years you will realized that having a job any job and keeping it is not easy it hard work.

Medical Schools wanted older students because they have more life experience and there is more to life than money.
boys take longer time grow up than girls boys from all social classes drop out of a-level because they don't like getting out of beds it not just white working class lads. you are using one person behaviour to answer why a hold group of people are underrepresented in higher education

Also don't be a job snob it hard to get any job even Mcdonald or cleaning in a few years you will realized that having a job any job and keeping it is not easy it hard work.

Medical Schools wanted older students because they have more life experience and there is more to life than money.

It isn't just him though; there are loads of lads just like him. The fact that there are white working class males in higher education kind of points towards it being an attitude problem amongst the working classes. It's just fact that if your parents went to university you are more likely to go yourself and this is something that is lacking in the homes of a lot of working class people

I have two jobs thanks, but the unfounded assumption is appreciated :u:

That may be the case in the USA and other parts of the world but in the UK you can go to medical school at 18.
[QUOTE="AngryRedhead;67916906"]It isn't just him though; there are loads of lads just like him. The fact that there are white working class males in higher education kind of points towards it being an attitude problem amongst the working classes. It's just fact that if your parents went to university you are more likely to go yourself and this is something that is lacking in the homes of a lot of working class people

I have two jobs thanks, but the unfounded assumption is appreciated :u:

That may be the case in the USA and other parts of the world but in the UK you can go to medical school at 18.[/QUOTE

I know you can get in to medicial school at 18 through they like students with more life experience so they have graduate entry and different entry route for mature students.It the same as Social work and nursing.
Reply 48
Statistics show poor white boys are behind it's their own fault they are lazy, it's cultural etc.
Statistics show anyone else behind it is a sign of institutional sexism, racism etc.

This thread shows the group what society turns their back on and is prejudiced towards.

I don't think anything should be done to advantage anyone but this is a clear example of quota lovers looking the other way when the statistics show the group they say are the most privileged are struggling, so ask yourself are people who claim being a white male is all privilege really looking for equality?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending