The Student Room Group

Chose wrong A levels. Should I change it?????

Currently, I am taking history, business and politics at A level. At university I wish to do computer science. However as i do not have maths should i redo AS in order to pick up maths and physics
No maths, no computer science. Period.
Original post by Hmz222
Currently, I am taking history, business and politics at A level. At university I wish to do computer science. However as i do not have maths should i redo AS in order to pick up maths and physics

Yes.
Reply 3
@timster32 @Reality Check What if i take a foundation year??
You definitely need maths for computer science
Original post by Hmz222
@timster32 @Reality Check What if i take a foundation year??

I think you'd still need A level maths to do a foundation year - computing is just applied maths, after all!
Fair enough, but I wouldn't want to be taking CompSci without a background in mathematics. For me, that'd be like trying to do Economics without Maths - maybe not mandatory but foolish! If you've managed without it, then that's well done to you.
Original post by Reality Check
Fair enough, but I wouldn't want to be taking CompSci without a background in mathematics. For me, that'd be like trying to do Economics without Maths - maybe not mandatory but foolish! If you've managed without it, then that's well done to you.

I agree, although maths may not be ESSENTIAL, it is highly desirable. If you are thinking of doing computer science you need to be competent in maths.
You have taken no A level subjects relevant to computer science, why did you pick the subject at university if you haven't at least taken CS, mathematics or ICT/tech-based-subect at A level?
Reply 9
I chose these subjects at first as i believed they would be easy for me. However after researching courses at university, it does not lead me to a course I want to do which is computer science.
Reply 10

Quick Reply

Latest