The Student Room Group

LMH Oxford: Ask us anything

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LMH OXFORD
Hello,
I've had a look into the ins and outs of MFL admissions for this one. I am assuming that if you are self teaching Russian, you will not be receiving an A-Level qualification this coming summer; in which case, you would be admitted to a Russian course as an ab initio student. (Please correct me if I am wrong and you are self-teaching an A-level!) The added complication for this is that Russian sole is not available at Oxford as an ab initio course; it has to be taken with another language in which you've already achieved an A-Level or equivalent qualification. Here is the faculty's webpage for clarity.

If you count as an ab initio student, you would not have to submit work; if you are applying as an A-Level student, you would ideally need to have your work marked by an external tutor - although if this is impossible then make sure you include a note explaining your more unusual circumstances.
Hope this helps!
India

Hi, I am self taught Russian and am sitting the A level this year (I sat the AS last year). I will get a tutor to mark the work before I send it off then,
Thanks
Hi!
I'm thinking of applying to read History :smile:

I go to a very good school and our average GCSE grade was 6a* and 4As. That is what I achieved at GCSE. At AS level, I did better and achieved 5 As, all with 95%+ (my prediction is A*A*A*). I've been told by lots of people that Oxford cut off people who performed average at GCSE and i'm slightly worried about applying because of this. (I know Oxford don't ask for marks but it's in my reference)

Also, I was wondering that despite going to a private school, I live in an ACORN area which is flagged, and was wondering whether going to a private school but being poor cancel each other out, or will my application remain flagged?

Thanks for all of the help and sorry for the repetitive questions but I'm stressed and uncertain :biggrin:
Original post by alevelpain
Hi!
I'm thinking of applying to read History :smile:

I go to a very good school and our average GCSE grade was 6a* and 4As. That is what I achieved at GCSE. At AS level, I did better and achieved 5 As, all with 95%+ (my prediction is A*A*A*). I've been told by lots of people that Oxford cut off people who performed average at GCSE and i'm slightly worried about applying because of this. (I know Oxford don't ask for marks but it's in my reference)

Also, I was wondering that despite going to a private school, I live in an ACORN area which is flagged, and was wondering whether going to a private school but being poor cancel each other out, or will my application remain flagged?

Thanks for all of the help and sorry for the repetitive questions but I'm stressed and uncertain :biggrin:

Hi there,

Please be reassured that your GCSE grades will not disadvantage you - Medicine is the only subject where admissions tutors are likely to enforce a harsh "cut-off" for GCSE grades. For most subjects, we say that the average (although yes, "average" is sometimes an unhelpful concept!) applicant has 5-7A* at GCSE - you are right in the middle of that! I can't see how any of your circumstances would disadvantage your application - make sure you focus on producing an interesting, academic personal statement which expresses your interest and enthusiasm for History, and ensure you've looked at the HAT test to familiarise yourself with its format (of course, admissions tests are difficult to "revise" for explicitly). And if you are applying this year, make sure you submit your full application by 15th October! :smile:

Best wishes,

India
Hi - thanks for answering questions here! I just have a quick question - what exactly is the interview structure like at Oxford for joint degrees? My guess is that there are two interviews per subject but I've struggled to find a concrete answer online. If it helps I'm applying for Mathematics and Computer Science.

Thanks again!
LMH's view on applying for deferred entry?

(law)
didn't know oxford did a thread like this too. I want to pursue a maths degree, however I have a weak academic past. From what I hear Cambridge have leniency on Mature students with a weak academic past if there recent academic results are very good. What is Oxfords attitude to this?

If I have A*A*A* in recent A levels or etc would I still be considered or would my A levels from 2004 which were bad and my bad GCSE scores mean I had little to no chance?

does the fact that I am self teaching affect my chances one way or the other as well?
Original post by dfbenjamin
Hi - thanks for answering questions here! I just have a quick question - what exactly is the interview structure like at Oxford for joint degrees? My guess is that there are two interviews per subject but I've struggled to find a concrete answer online. If it helps I'm applying for Mathematics and Computer Science.

Thanks again!

This is something that can vary from college to college. But, assuming you're coming to Oxford for interviews, at most colleges you would get one interview in Maths and one in Computer Science; in fact, I think all colleges do things that way. You would also get allocated a second college; they would probably give you a single interview initially, and then call you back for a second interview if it seems sensible. Skype interviews tend to be done differently.

Gavin
Original post by teenhorrorstory
LMH's view on applying for deferred entry?

(law)

Hi there,

LMH considers deferred entry in line with every other Oxford college - it should not have a detrimental effect on your application, providing you specify when you apply that you want to defer. Oxford colleges do not accept deferral after offers have been made/confirmed for the following academic year, except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. medical ones).

India
Original post by dfbenjamin

Thanks again!

Hi there,

The response offered by Gavin is spot on! (Although sometimes second interview colleges will arrange for you to have two separate interviews - it just depends on how they are organising themselves and their tutors.) The key thing for joint degree interviews is that you are required to show a suitable level of potential, dedication, and skill in both of your chosen subjects. If you are invited to a college for interview, you will find that you are guided through the process by a team of friendly student helpers who will make sure you know when and where your various interviews are - so please, don't worry too much!

India
Original post by Luke7456
didn't know oxford did a thread like this too. I want to pursue a maths degree, however I have a weak academic past. From what I hear Cambridge have leniency on Mature students with a weak academic past if there recent academic results are very good. What is Oxfords attitude to this?

If I have A*A*A* in recent A levels or etc would I still be considered or would my A levels from 2004 which were bad and my bad GCSE scores mean I had little to no chance?

does the fact that I am self teaching affect my chances one way or the other as well?

I know for Maths they don't like large gaps between A-Levels and going to university. Maybe apply after you take these A-Levels. In my opinion, if you applied without them, you wouldn't have a great chance of success.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Luke7456

Hi there,

Yes we do! :smile:

I've copied this statement from the university's central mature student admissions page which I think is a good starting point:

"Tutors at Oxford will take your work experience and life skills into account when you apply, but it’s essential that you have also undertaken formal academic qualifications within the three years before you apply. We need to be sure that you will be able to cope with the demands of academic study at Oxford and that you have the study skills that are so essential to following an undergraduate degree course. Many different academic qualifications would be acceptable." (https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/why-oxford/support-and-wellbeing/mature-students?wssl=1)

This page also has a link to a PDF of the Mature Students guide, which says: "We understand that many students do not perform to the best of
their ability when they are at school. Tutors here are interested in youracademic ability now, not when you were 18."

So, in answer to your question, your earlier academic record should not have a detrimental effect on your application; just like Cambridge's approach. You are also already studying for formal qualifications, so fit that requirement. In regards to self-teaching A-Levels, if you achieve the required results (and/or more...) then that would also be no issue - if you are looking to apply before receiving these results, however, it may be worth finding a tutor to assess your predicted grades, as this can be quite difficult/biased to do for yourself. Otherwise, your application will be considered in terms of the interest, dedication, and potential that you show for the subject (through independent study, life experiences, or a number of other ways).

Best of luck with your studies & application,
India
Original post by Edminzodo
I know for Maths they don't like large gaps between A-Levels and going to university. Maybe apply after you take these A-Levels. In my opinion, if you applied without them, you wouldn't have a great chance of success.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,

This is broadly true for Maths, where gap years aren't welcomed as much by admissions tutors (although it should be noted that for some candidates, a gap year is necessary for personal reasons/can be used to pursue employment or other experiences which support the ongoing study of Maths, so it's not quite black and white). The admissions process is, understandably, quite different for mature students - there are any number of things a mature applicant could have done between applying to Oxford and leaving school which could benefit their application and general approach to academic study. Since Oxford also stipulates that mature students should have taken formal qualifications in the three years prior to their application, this means that mature applicants do not have a "large gap" in their assessed education. It is a personal choice to apply before or after sitting A-Levels (at any stage) - many applicants would choose to do so after because of the lower pressure associated with an unconditional offer.

Best wishes,
India
Hi there,

LMH considers deferred entry in line with every other Oxford college - it should not have a detrimental effect on your application, providing you specify when you apply that you want to defer. Oxford colleges do not accept deferral after offers have been made/confirmed for the following academic year, except in exceptional circumstances (e.g. medical ones).

India

How many law offers to LMH generally give?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
How many law offers to LMH generally give?

LMH takes 5-6 Law students each year (this includes any students studying the Law with European Law course) and has a strong Law community. You can click here for more information on studying Law at LMH.

India
Hi,
I'm currently doing AS and I plan to study a degree in relation to maths at university. I've recently decided that this may simply be Mathematics or even Accounting, however, I'm still looking into this.

I'm just curious about past students' experiences at Oxford - in general as well as what you particularly enjoyed in lectures and with accommodation arrangements, for example. I'd also be interested in hearing about how you feel your experience could have been improved.

It would also be great to hear back from anyone taking/who has taken either Mathematics or Accounting and to learn about how they found the course. :smile:

Thanks,
Matrix
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Matrix123
Hi,
I'm currently doing AS and I plan to study a degree in relation to maths at university. I've recently decided that this may simply be Mathematics or even Accounting, however, I'm still looking into this.

I'm just curious about past students' experiences at Oxford - in general as well as what you particularly enjoyed in lectures and with accommodation arrangements, for example. I'd also be interested in hearing about how you feel your experience could have been improved.

It would also be great to hear back from anyone taking/who has taken either Mathematics or Accounting and to learn about how they found the course. :smile:

Thanks,
Matrix
Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there,
Oxford does not offer an undergraduate degree in Accounting, so you would only be able to consider Maths as an option here - this may affect your choice of university, depending on what you decide you would like from a degree course.

We can certainly get in touch with some of our current Maths students and ask them to say a bit about their experiences at Oxford - please be aware that it may take a bit of time to gather their responses, as term has just started and our students are typically very busy! Alternatively, if you ever want to visit LMH then we would be happy to find you a current Mathematician (or two) to have a chat with you and show you around - email [email protected], we are happy to welcome prospective students all year round :smile:

One interesting element of the Oxford Maths course is that students can choose whether they study for three or four years, which means everyone's experience is unique. You can also find lots of information on the Maths Faculty's website.

Re general experiences at Oxford, accommodation arrangements at LMH are generally very good and well received: we can offer three guaranteed years of accommodation in college (students on four year courses are required to live out in 3rd or 4th year - but this is a vast improvement on most Oxford colleges, where you are only able to live in college as a first and final year student). We also have the benefit of modern buildings, a kitchen on every corridor, and a large proportion of rooms with their own bathrooms. As with every college at Oxford and Cambridge, students are required to move all their belongings out of their room during each holiday, unless they have made special arrangements (it generally costs more to stay during the vacations, unless you are working for the college or are a finalist).

Any more questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!India
Hi there,
Oxford does not offer an undergraduate degree in Accounting, so you would only be able to consider Maths as an option here - this may affect your choice of university, depending on what you decide you would like from a degree course.

We can certainly get in touch with some of our current Maths students and ask them to say a bit about their experiences at Oxford - please be aware that it may take a bit of time to gather their responses, as term has just started and our students are typically very busy! Alternatively, if you ever want to visit LMH then we would be happy to find you a current Mathematician (or two) to have a chat with you and show you around - email [email protected], we are happy to welcome prospective students all year round :smile:

One interesting element of the Oxford Maths course is that students can choose whether they study for three or four years, which means everyone's experience is unique. You can also find lots of information on the Maths Faculty's website.

Re general experiences at Oxford, accommodation arrangements at LMH are generally very good and well received: we can offer three guaranteed years of accommodation in college (students on four year courses are required to live out in 3rd or 4th year - but this is a vast improvement on most Oxford colleges, where you are only able to live in college as a first and final year student). We also have the benefit of modern buildings, a kitchen on every corridor, and a large proportion of rooms with their own bathrooms. As with every college at Oxford and Cambridge, students are required to move all their belongings out of their room during each holiday, unless they have made special arrangements (it generally costs more to stay during the vacations, unless you are working for the college or are a finalist).

Any more questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch!India

Thank you for taking the time to type out this response. :smile:

I see, thank you for informing me about this. Indeed, it may cause me to change the universities I am hoping to study at, however, I am still looking into this.

Thank you, that would be much appreciated! I do understand that and it's not a problem. I do have a while yet until I apply for university anyway so the timing of the responses isn't an issue . Thanks for letting me know about this opportunity. :h:

OK, that's good to hear. It does seem to make things easier, looking at it from this perspective.
You mentioned jobs for the college. What types of jobs could this include?
Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for taking the time to type out this response. :smile:

I see, thank you for informing me about this. Indeed, it may cause me to change the universities I am hoping to study at, however, I am still looking into this.

Thank you, that would be much appreciated! I do understand that and it's not a problem. I do have a while yet until I apply for university anyway so the timing of the responses isn't an issue . Thanks for letting me know about this opportunity. :h:

OK, that's good to hear. It does seem to make things easier, looking at it from this perspective.
You mentioned jobs for the college. What types of jobs could this include?
Posted from TSR Mobile

Students have the opportunity to apply to be "runners" for the annual admissions period at Christmas, or callers for the college's annual telethon at Easter - places are generally competitive for both, and their benefits include being able to leave all your things in your room during that holiday. (More regular part time work isn't generally available - these are jobs specifically for undergraduates)

Glad you've found this helpful! It's definitely useful to start thinking about university earlier rather than later.
India
Students have the opportunity to apply to be "runners" for the annual admissions period at Christmas, or callers for the college's annual telethon at Easter - places are generally competitive for both, and their benefits include being able to leave all your things in your room during that holiday. (More regular part time work isn't generally available - these are jobs specifically for undergraduates)

Glad you've found this helpful! It's definitely useful to start thinking about university earlier rather than later.
India

I see, this does sound quite interesting. The benefits are certainly worth thinking about here. (Would this mean that you'd only be able to have this opportunity during your first year at university, then could only continue to leave possessions in the college, providing you paid for it?)

Yes, I feel that this may reduce the possible stress associated with applying to university. However, I'm still unsure about my future ambitions in terms of specific degree choice and career, which I know is not uncommon. I just hope to gain a greater understanding of this at some point soon, which will help me make related decisions.
I see, this does sound quite interesting. The benefits are certainly worth thinking about here. (Would this mean that you'd only be able to have this opportunity during your first year at university, then could only continue to leave possessions in the college, providing you paid for it?)

Yes, I feel that this may reduce the possible stress associated with applying to university. However, I'm still unsure about my future ambitions in terms of specific degree choice and career, which I know is not uncommon. I just hope to gain a greater understanding of this at some point soon, which will help me make related decisions.

Students opt to apply for these extra things at any point during their studies, but the benefits are only "valid" for the holiday they are carrying out the work (which lasts for two weeks in these examples). A certain amount of vacation storage is available within rooms and on corridors which you do not need to pay for - it's just using your room as you would during term time which needs special arrangements. Again, this is standard for all colleges at Oxford and Cambridge.

India

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending