The Student Room Group

Can certain music make you depressed?

Before i used to listen to alot of depressing songs like early coldplay and just got emotional and more thinking about life despite the fact i have no whatsoever reason of being down.

IT has gotten better now i changed what i've listen.

Just want to hear others opinon

Scroll to see replies

Yes
Solution = french music + crisps
I've never found any music depressing but I do have a tendency to listen to sad songs knowing that it's going to make me feel even worse lol
It depends, if the lyrics are sad and relatable like Akon - Lonely then it would make you feel sad. Also if you listened to a certain song a lot in a depressing period or a time of a hardship or in a period that is very nostalgic now then it would make you sad when you listen to it now. I mean listening to Akon's popular songs makes me sad and nostalgic and really miss the good ol' days of 2009/10 for example. (Akon was a good example since it's the only I could think of on the top of my head).
(edited 7 years ago)
I was once told by a mental health nurse that people with schizophrenia and manic depression are not allowed to listen to music such as Nirvana and NIN, if they are sectioned.
Reply 5
There is a possibility.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloomy_Sunday
This is a song that was reportedly depressing and banned by the BBC for radio broadcast during WW2 to keep up morale.
[video="youtube;55FP1LfkkVQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55FP1LfkkVQ[/video]
Reply 6
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Yes

I 100% agree
Yes

really? if there's any music that makes me depressed, it's french music. it just makes me think of sad, crying mimes in the damp, smelly streets of paris while poor washerwomen and nuns pass by miserably, while a monkey dances on top of a music box...while people have to eat slugs in the cafe nearby...while tortured animals are prodded into circus cages for the show later that evening by brutish men. accordian music has that effect on me.

Original post by Foo.mp3
Yes. See Morrissey dirge FYR :dong:

yeah but with morrissey it's quite uplifting to hear a **** moan about how life is pain because it's almost as if he deserves it (smiths are great though)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sleepysnooze
really? if there's any music that makes me depressed, it's french music. it just makes me think of sad, crying mimes in the damp, smelly streets of paris while poor washerwomen and nuns pass by miserably, while a monkey dances on top of a music box...while people have to eat slugs in the cafe nearby...while tortured animals are prodded into circus cages for the show later that evening by brutish men. accordian music has that effect on me.

yeah but with morrissey it's quite uplifting to hear a **** moan about how life is pain because it's almost as if he deserves it (smiths are great though)

Mate
French house is where its at
I only listen to the lively ones or ones with powerful [french ] messages
Remind me to link u some tunes later (when home) cos boi u need a tune which can get u shoveling those crisps in your mouth

Original post by Rhaenys10
I 100% agree

:five: you amazing human you :tongue:
Mate
Remind me to link u some tunes later (when home) cos boi u need a tune which can get u shoveling those crisps in your mouth

:five: you amazing human you :tongue:

I AM THE KING OF THE DIVAN :rofl:
Mate

but why would I want to listen to music that is remeniscent of a poor french farmer working on a dirty, dusty countryside with sad looking animals looking on, as he regretfully thinks of his fat french wife eating grapes inside the barn, as the son, pierre, has to eat slugs for dinner and crap in a hole in the ground afterwards?

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Listening to Lady Gaga makes me depressed...for humanity.
Original post by Concav
Before i used to listen to alot of depressing songs like early coldplay and just got emotional and more thinking about life despite the fact i have no whatsoever reason of being down.

IT has gotten better now i changed what i've listen.

Just want to hear others opinon

Yes, country music has been proven to raise suicide rates
[video="youtube;SiyOajnJnTg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiyOajnJnTg[/video]This makes me think about death and makes me depressed. The witcher 3 fans will know what I mean :frown:
Sometimes it really chills me out and makes me feel nice and calm if I'm in the right mood other times it just makes me feel sad. Like sometimes I love this song, other times I just can't listen to it or it'll bring me down:

[video="youtube;ns85N7ZUVmE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns85N7ZUVmE[/video]

Mate

Naaaaaah mate, all about that German Hardstyle :tongue:
Lana Del Rey is the queen of sad music.
I think it can be really cathartic :cry: it gets you in touch with your emotions....

In the same way that some music makes you feel really energised :u:

:woo:
Original post by Foo.mp3
Whadya mean, almost? :eyeball:

yeah sorry, you're right guv
what a mopey toffish **** morrissey is
(again, smiths are a great band...with a daft **** for a singer of course)
Original post by sleepysnooze
but why would I want to listen to music that is remeniscent of a poor french farmer working on a dirty, dusty countryside with sad looking animals looking on, as he regretfully thinks of his fat french wife eating grapes inside the barn, as the son, pierre, has to eat slugs for dinner and crap in a hole in the ground afterwards?

Spoiler

This is so wrong I can't even.
I couldn't even be arsed to read it and assumed it was wrong
Yeah.
That's how wrong it is.
A few favourite French songs of mine

Spoiler

Original post by WoodyMKC
Sometimes it really chills me out and makes me feel nice and calm if I'm in the right mood other times it just makes me feel sad. Like sometimes I love this song, other times I just can't listen to it or it'll bring me down:

[video="youtube;ns85N7ZUVmE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns85N7ZUVmE[/video]

Naaaaaah mate, all about that German Hardstyle :tongue:

German hardstyle is alright actually m8 :five:

Quick Reply

Latest