The Student Room Group

I don't understand how to get an A* in Biology OCR

I've already done my AS exams. I've got a B in ocr biology. I don't understand how to get an A*. Don't I need to get 80% in AS exams and 90% in A2 modules? Isn't that how it works. Because I want to resit my exams and get an A* at the end of the 2 years.
You need 80% overall and 90% in the A2 units. There is no need to retake your papers.

If you got 70% at AS (lowest score to get a B) and you get 90% at A2 (lowest score to get an A*) then you'd average 80% over all and thus get an A*.

Focus on your A2 modules, resitting your AS modules is pointless and can only be detrimental to your chances of getting an A*.
Reply 2
You must be doing the new linear spec which means that the AS marks do not contribute to the A level grade so all you need to do is to do well enough in the A level exam at the end of Y13 to get an A*.
Reply 3
Original post by Compost
You must be doing the new linear spec which means that the AS marks do not contribute to the A level grade so all you need to do is to do well enough in the A level exam at the end of Y13 to get an A*.

Yeah you're right. I know that only the top 10% of people will get an A* and that there is no more UMS anymore for reformed linear courses. I also know that AS marks don't count towards the final A-level grade.

It's different for maths though, because you do need average of 80 in AS modules and 90 in A2. It's because maths isn't newly reformed or whatever.
Original post by Kiritsugu
Yeah you're right. I know that only the top 10% of people will get an A* and that there is no more UMS anymore for reformed linear courses. I also know that AS marks don't count towards the final A-level grade.

It's different for maths though, because you do need average of 80 in AS modules and 90 in A2. It's because maths isn't newly reformed or whatever.

For maths you need 480 ums that includes 180 ums from c3&4.
(So that's an average of 80 over the 6 units that includes an average if 90 from c3&4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by x__justmyluck
You need 80% overall and 90% in the A2 units. There is no need to retake your papers.

If you got 70% at AS (lowest score to get a B) and you get 90% at A2 (lowest score to get an A*) then you'd average 80% over all and thus get an A*.

Focus on your A2 modules, resitting your AS modules is pointless and can only be detrimental to your chances of getting an A*.

I would think that resitting maths isn't pointless given that (I think) it's not part of the newly reformed courses so the AS modules still count towards an A*.

And also, resitting the exams will mean you having to revise for the AS exams too. That can be good since the A2 papers are synoptic. On the other hand I can easily see how the pressure could be a disadvantage.
Reply 6
Original post by gdunne42
For maths you need 480 ums that includes 180 ums from c3&4.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hold on. I know that you need 90 for the two A2 units, but don't you need an average of 80 for the AS units?

4*80 = 320
2*90 = 180
320+180 = 500 UMS.
Hold on. I know that you need 90 for the two A2 units, but don't you need an average of 80 for the AS units?

4*80 = 320
2*90 = 180
320+180 = 500 UMS.

No, I gave the correct information above.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by gdunne42
No, I gave the correct information above.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you please explain how I'm wrong (I don't doubt very much that you're wrong btw but I would like to know)?
Can you please explain how I'm wrong (I don't doubt very much that you're wrong btw but I would like to know)?

I explained above, you need an average of 80% over all of the units, there aren't any specific requirements for the AS percentage. You could get 60% at AS and 100% at A2 and you would get an A*.
Reply 10
I explained above, you need an average of 80% over all of the units, there aren't any specific requirements for the AS percentage. You could get 60% at AS and 100% at A2 and you would get an A*.

okay, that could make sense, but that isn't what my teacher told me. He told me that you need an average of 80 in AS modules and 90 in A2. But also read below...

"Before we can award an A*, you need to achieve an A grade across all the A Level units both AS and A2." http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:colone:08tvCCJGbgJ:www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

"Before we can award an A*, you need to achieve an A grade across all the A Level units both AS and A2." http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:colone:08tvCCJGbgJ:www.ocr.org.uk/Images/16356-a-level-a-frequently-asked-questions.pdf+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

Getting an A across all units means an average of 80% overall. It means that if you get 90% across the A2 units but your overall average is below 80% then you won't get the A*.
Reply 12
Getting an A across all units means an average of 80% overall. It means that if you get 90% across the A2 units but your overall average is below 80% then you won't get the A*.

Oh okay, thanks for explaining that :smile:
okay, that could make sense, but that isn't what my teacher told me. He told me that you need an average of 80 in AS modules and 90 in A2. But also read below...

gdunne42 is completely correct. It's at least 480UMS in total and 180 from C3 and C4.

The actual rules are here: http://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/entries/gce-maths-information/gce-maths-rules---guidance-for-centres and apply to Maths A levels with AQA, CCEA, Edexcel, OCR ad WJEC.
Reply 14
Yes you guys are correct if 80% on average means everything because obviously 75*4 = 300 + 180 = 480. I just thought you needed 80 in AS units average. Guess I was wrong. In order to get an A* I need an average of at least 75. Of course, I'm not satisfied with such an average anyway though. Just means I'll have to work harder.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending