The Student Room Group

Unemployed with a First Class Degree. Feeling Post-Uni Depression

I recently graduated from university with First Class Honours - and that was definitely a high point in my life! It was something I was so proud of that I decided NOT to apply for graduate schemes and to go on holiday for the whole of August.

I enjoyed my holiday and came back to apply for jobs ONLY to find that most of the top companies stopped hiring grads. I tried applying for smaller ones and they have been offering me interviews. BUT I have been turning them down because I they are underpaying me - infact £24-25K! This really annoys me because I got a First Class Honours degree and a lot of my friends are starting at £30K at top companies.

So now I am in this *****y lifestyle where nothing appeals to me. I have NO friends - YES NO FRIENDS! I AM A LONER AND WEIRD! NEVER HAD A GIRLFRIEND IN MY LIFE AND I SOMETIMES JUST WATCH LIFE GO BY

I am planning to rejoin the gym to take a lot of stress and anxiety out but in all honesty I don't see myself as a man!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dalifeman
I recently graduated from university with First Class Honours - and that was definitely a high point in my life! It was something I was so proud of that I decided NOT to apply for graduate schemes and to go on holiday for the whole of August.

I enjoyed my holiday and came back to apply for jobs ONLY to find that most of the top companies stopped hiring grads. I tried applying for smaller ones and they have been offering me interviews. BUT I have been turning them down because I they are underpaying me - infact £24-25K! This really annoys me because I got a First Class Honours degree and a lot of my friends are starting at £30K at top companies.

So now I am in this *****y lifestyle where nothing appeals to me. I have NO friends - YES NO FRIENDS! I AM A LONER AND WEIRD! NEVER HAD A GIRLFRIEND IN MY LIFE AND I SOMETIMES JUST WATCH LIFE GO BY

I am planning to rejoin the gym to take a lot of stress and anxiety out but in all honesty I don't see myself as a man!

You should've applied during summer...

Spoiler

Just take something you like regardless of salary then apply for jobs that fit your criteria
Reply 3
Lol, £25,000 isn't that bad. It's better than then £0 you're already getting
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
You should've applied during summer...

Spoiler

I think I know that mate. People learn from their mistakes and the past is the past.

What is done cannot be undone but yeah - I am going to take a risk and work somewhere ****

Then move round like a boss !
Reply 5
Original post by Ishax
Lol, £25,000 isn't that bad. It's better than then £0 you're already getting

Who said I am getting £0 lol :tongue:. I help a friend run a side-business so I make something at least
Reply 6
Just take the 25k offer and move on with your life, honest to God unless you're living some outrageously lavish lifestyle or living in London, 25k will not kill you.
What degree did you get?
Reply 8
thats your fault stop complaining suck it up and take a lower paid job
I couldn't help but laugh when you said your friends were earning more than you, then proceeded to say that you have no friends. But I get what you mean, there's 'friends' and then friends.

Maybe you can do something in the short term and apply for a 'top company'? :holmes:
Must be a first, but very rare I find no sympathy for the OP.

Change you attitude or deal with it.
Reply 11
Original post by SeanFM
I couldn't help but laugh when you said your friends were earning more than you, then proceeded to say that you have no friends. But I get what you mean, there's 'friends' and then friends.

Maybe you can do something in the short term and apply for a 'top company'? :holmes:

Yeah I meant friends I used to have. They are all fake - the minute I walked out those uni doors they burned me out of their lives. The very same way I stripped them out of mine.

I guess the only option I have is to settle for something less and then move elsewhere. It is a shame that someone with even an industrial placement has to feel the struggle
Reply 12
Original post by 999tigger
Must be a first, but very rare I find no sympathy for the OP.

Change you attitude or deal with it.

No sympathy mate? Ok then.

In what way do you want me to change my attitude?
Who said I am getting £0 lol :tongue:. I help a friend run a side-business so I make something at least

That's good, but if I were you I'd take the £25,000 offer lol!
Why do you feel entitled to such a large starting salary? This attitude is probably coming across in interviews, and won't stand you in good stead. We all have to start somewhere, and there's no shortage of entitled graduates thinking they're the bees knees and worth a CEO salary in 5 years.
Reply 15
Original post by Ishax
That's good, but if I were you I'd take the £25,000 offer lol!

Yeah well I turned them down for other reasons too such as them not being a cultural fit and what not
Reply 16
Original post by Reality Check
Why do you feel entitled to such a large starting salary? This attitude is probably coming across in interviews, and won't stand you in good stead. We all have to start somewhere, and there's no shortage of entitled graduates thinking they're the bees knees and worth a CEO salary in 5 years.

Ok, so why is that a portion of graduates get a starting salary of £28K+? Why is that a first class student with industrial experience has to get paid the same as say a 2.1 student with no experience?

There is a reason why I am greedy! I worked ****ing hard to get here - aint no one gonna treat me like cheap labour!
Ok, so why is that a portion of graduates get a starting salary of £28K+? Why is that a first class student with industrial experience has to get paid the same as say a 2.1 student with no experience?

There is a reason why I am greedy! I worked ****ing hard to get here - aint no one gonna treat me like cheap labour!

Most graduates don't start at £28K. And graduates form a small part of the overall working population - ergo, most people don't start on £28K.

Everyone who gets a first works hard, and acting as if £25K is 'cheap labour' shows a lack of understanding of the labour market. Sorry but you need to be less entitled and and more realistic to progress without antagonising people. And where was this first class degree obtained, and in what subject? As a business analyst, you know that there's a market and market price for everything, and a first in Mathematics from Cambridge is worth a sight more than a first in sociology from the University of Bedfordshire.
(edited 7 years ago)

Theres knowing your worth and self entitlement. Your position is self inflicted and you come across as being dislikeable with a poor attitude. Make sure it doesnt come across in interview or its for a position where that might be seen as an advantage.
Geez 25K is pretty damn good. I know people who have worked hard their entire life and never rose above 14K. Take what you're offered, as you're being offered a hell of a lot.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending