The Student Room Group

He got rude for no reason?

My tutor came the other day and i thought everything was fine until we got to the methods of payment.

I told him that we can pay him via his bank account; he would receive £200 at the end of every month instead of £50 every week. At first he was like "Okay.." and then suddenly he said "No I prefer cash."

He spoke to my parents about it and they agreed with him and said its fine.

Until after on he called me and texted me getting a little *****y as well saying "I should explain to my parents that tutors are supposed to be paid in cash on the day."

I am so lost, is this true? Is this man just talking rubbish?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
No seriously.
Pretty sure there isnt a set payment method , although i'd assume paying on the day was the norm.
Reply 3
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Pretty sure there isnt a set payment method , although i'd assume paying on the day was the norm.

But does that give him an excuse to get rude? (I am just trying to find an excuse to get rid of him i guess lol).
Original post by Applepiex3
But does that give him an excuse to get rude? (I am just trying to find an excuse to get rid of him i guess lol).

You aren't obliged to have him as your tutor , if you don't want him get rid.
You hire him, you should be allowed to to choose the choice of payment as the employer and if he has a problem with that he should have told you when you were discussing payment methods - not attempt to make a snide comment because he didn't get what he would have preferred.
Reply 6
Of course you're paying him so you should be able to choose the payment method. However usually tutors are actually paid on the day in cash unless its with some sort of agency. If I was a tutor I'd prefer cash on the day too, in case someone made excuses to not pay at the end of the month. He could have handled it more professionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by TSR Mustafa
You aren't obliged to have him as your tutor , if you don't want him get rid.

My parents think he's a good tutor but idk he's alright hence why I haven't made this a great issue.
I'm just a bit offended since hes nice on the outside but snakey on the inside.

I didn't ever think emotions would come into a simple professional matter.
Reply 8
Original post by bluemadhatter
You hire him, you should be allowed to to choose the choice of payment as the employer and if he has a problem with that he should have told you when you were discussing payment methods - not attempt to make a snide comment because he didn't get what he would have preferred.

I haven't even told my parents what he said yet since that would mean trying to find a good cheap tutor all over again. He only tutors an hour for £50.
Yeah I didn't understand why he didn't just "explain" it to my parents himself instead of telling me. It wasn't really professional of him.
I'd get rid of him, personally.
Original post by A321
Of course you're paying him so you should be able to choose the payment method. However usually tutors are actually paid on the day in cash unless its with some sort of agency. If I was a tutor I'd prefer cash on the day too, in case someone made excuses to not pay at the end of the month. He could have handled it more professionally.

Posted from TSR Mobile

All my other tutors have never made such a comment like that before.
The thing is, he discussed with my parents and they agreed for a direct cash payment. Meaning he was going to get his £100 next week, so why did he feel the need to tell me that after leaving via text?
Original post by Cremated_Spatula
I'd get rid of him, personally.

I think you're right Gintama-san.

I might just declare that I want to get rid of him in a couple more weeks so it doesn't look like I'm some whiny sob who got rid of him because I can't handle peoples' attitudes.

Ahh now I'm thinking of how to break it to my parents, theyre always busy and never at home, so this will be hard.

He's either good or he isnt. I'd say its normal to get cash becayse its such a small amount and potentially irregular. If you feel uncomfy with him tell your parents and look for another tutor. Easy as that.

Show your parents the text of where he was rude and start lookimng for a replacement.
(edited 7 years ago)
If he's self-employed, cash is largely untraceable and as such you don't have to pay tax on it.

Chances are he forgot how much he was earning from other prospects then suddenly remembered at the last minute, I wouldn't take it personally if I were you.

Also, rudeness is in the eye of the beholder; you may have thought he was being rude, he may have thought that he wasn't. Neither of you are right if it's a matter of perspective. But if you simply don't want him as a tutor, then don't have him round any more.

Original post by bluemadhatter

Unless OP is a registered employer s/he's not employing him, s/he's employing his services (assuming he's freelance), and as such it's not as simple as "the choice should be yours". If he wants to be paid one way but OP wants to pay him another, either of them are well within their rights to call it a day if they can't compromise.
I'd get rid of him personally, just find someone else. Not worth the hassle. Don't wait couple of weeks either, you're wasting your OWN money paying someone you're uncomfortable with learning from. However, give him 1 week notice to be fair I guess?

It's similar to driving instructors, you need to learn from someone you're comfortable with. Otherwise, you're just stressed and you won't be able to learn.

Ps, £50 an hour isn't cheap either (in my opinion).
(edited 7 years ago)
I think you're right Gintama-san.

I might just declare that I want to get rid of him in a couple more weeks so it doesn't look like I'm some whiny sob who got rid of him because I can't handle peoples' attitudes.

Ahh now I'm thinking of how to break it to my parents, theyre always busy and never at home, so this will be hard.

The way I see it, why hire someone like that when you can hire someone much more professional, or someone you get on with really well. A bad tutor can be detrimental to learning.

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending