The Student Room Group

what do we mean by "proteins build new tissue" ?

as above
Tissues are made up of cells which are made up of proteins which carry out the various functions.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
Tissues are made up of cells which are made up of proteins which carry out the various functions.

what proteins are cells made up of?
You need to do your own research. Feel free to post again if you have specific things you're stuck on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by alleycat393
You need to do your own research. Feel free to post again if you have specific things you're stuck on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I do A level Biology I'm sure I know the content and can usually answer more complex questions, I sometimes get confused on the simplest of things and need someone to explain it. Nevermind.
Reply 5
Original post by vybzkartel
I do A level Biology I'm sure I know the content and can usually answer more complex questions, I sometimes get confused on the simplest of things and need someone to explain it. Nevermind.

It is an oddly phrased question so it might be worth asking your teacher for confirmation. It could easily be asking you to discuss DNA replication, enzymes, proteins as nutrients (amino acids) or transporting molecules.
PROTEINS IN CELLS:

A. Cytoplasm: 1. enzymes e.g. the ones needed for glycolysis
2. structural/functional e.g. myosin in myocytes (muscle cells: myo = muscle; cyto = cell)
3. functional e.g.haemoglobin in erythrocytes (eryth = red [e.g.] cyto = cell)

B Lysosomes Enzymes for lysis (= breakdown)
1. Nucleases to break down DNA/RNA of phagocytosed bacteria (external material)
2. proteinases to break down (=lyse) external or internal [e.g. dead organelles like mitochondria) material

C. Mitochondia: 1. Matrix: enzymes for Kreb's cycle e.g. malate dehydrogenase
2. Cristae: ATP synthase [=stalked particle see pic below

D. Nucleus: DNA polymerase
I. Nucleolus: RNA polymerase

E. EXAMPLE CELLs: Pancreatic cell: beta cell: freshly synthesized insulin
Plasma cell (derived from B lymphocyte): synthesized antibodies

ATP synthase.jpg]
ATP synthase

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending