The Student Room Group

CENTRICA 2017 graduate scheme applications

Hi! Has anyone applied for the Centrica graduate scheme for 2017? I am in the process but have noticed that the questions are different from last year.

Rather than asking you to describe an example , they give you a scenario and ask you what you would do in that situation.

Anyone struggling to apply STAR method to this type of question?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone at all?????
Original post by Kirssst
Hi! Has anyone applied for the Centrica graduate scheme for 2017? I am in the process but have noticed that the questions are different from last year.

Rather than asking you to describe an example , they give you a scenario and ask you what you would do in that situation.

Anyone struggling to apply STAR method to this type of question?

It's not mandatory to use the STAR approach to all the questions you may be asked. STAR works well when trying to relate an example from your own experience to someone else, who not only does not share your experience but might not even have the same background as you.

This type of question is probably more fair as it does not necessitate certain types previous experience to answer.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
It's not mandatory to use the STAR approach to all the questions you may be asked. STAR works well when trying to relate an example from your own experience to someone else, who not only does not share your experience but might not even have the same background as you.

This type of question is probably more fair as it does not necessitate certain types previous experience to answer.

I'm glad to hear that because it's quite tough to do STAR against these questions. AR I see possible. On Centrica's ApplicationTips, it suggests STAR method but I'm guessing that PDF has not be altered since last year
Reply 4
Star is almost impossible, it looks like the Situation & Task are in the question.
How are you guys finding Q2, i'm struggling with this one!
Reply 5
What programme are you applying to?
Reply 6
How is everyone's application journey so far?

Has anyone reached through to the next stage?
Reply 7
Anyone heard back from their application?
Reply 8
Original post by Manc_Lad
Anyone heard back from their application?

Hey mate, yeah - got through to the telephone interview. Mine is on the 13th, what about you?
Reply 9
I had my phone interview last week guys and it was disastrous...
Reply 10
I had my phone interview last week guys and it was disastrous...

Crap! It seemed dramatically different from last years stuff. Any tips? Also just because it went bad, doesnt mean you wont get through the next round.
Original post by zg12021
Crap! It seemed dramatically different from last years stuff. Any tips? Also just because it went bad, doesnt mean you wont get through the next round.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 19.0px; font: 14.0px Arial; color: #505050} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 19.0px; font: 14.0px Arial; color: #505050; min-height: 16.0px} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}
YUP, the assessor was in a rush, and lacked interest in finding out about me as a person. She wanted to rush into the interview and was reading the situation so fats i could hardly keep up. She also has a ridiculously posh accent as if she was an ex Professor from Hogwarts.

I’ve not heard back yet, they say within 5 days so i guess it will be some time around next week.

Il PM you some pointers i can remember as it is a bit of a blur tbh

Try to answer the questions, the situations they give can confusing but try to think what are they asking... keeping in the back of your mind how u would ensure a positive outcome.

Be yourself and try to sound confident and not like your reading from notes (as i did)
p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 19.0px; font: 14.0px Arial; color: #505050} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; line-height: 19.0px; font: 14.0px Arial; color: #505050; min-height: 16.0px} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}
YUP, the assessor was in a rush, and lacked interest in finding out about me as a person. She wanted to rush into the interview and was reading the situation so fats i could hardly keep up. She also has a ridiculously posh accent as if she was an ex Professor from Hogwarts.

I’ve not heard back yet, they say within 5 days so i guess it will be some time around next week.

Il PM you some pointers i can remember as it is a bit of a blur tbh

Try to answer the questions, the situations they give can confusing but try to think what are they asking... keeping in the back of your mind how u would ensure a positive outcome.

Be yourself and try to sound confident and not like your reading from notes (as i did)

I had my interview on Monday and received an email on Wednesday saying that my application is still under consideration and that they'll email when they have any updates.
Original post by rainbowsandtea
I had my interview on Monday and received an email on Wednesday saying that my application is still under consideration and that they'll email when they have any updates.

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica; min-height: 14.0px} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 12.0px Helvetica} span.s1 {letter-spacing: 0.0px}

How did you find the experience? Did you find the assessor to be in a rush and lacking any interest in you a person?

I haven't received any emails so probably not through to the next stage of application.

Did you require any reasonable adjustments?
Just received this email

'I am pleased to advise you that your application has progressed to the next stage of our recruitment process '

So I guess ive been progressed to the phone interview
Reply 15
For those who have done the telephone interview do you have any information or suggestions for approaching it? Are all the questions based on a situation? From what I understand the process is quite different from last year.
I've applied too, to the HR scheme. I'm waiting to hear back still. Actually pretty gutted that I got my application in so late, but it couldn't really be helped since I missed around 2 months of uni for a NID.

Contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion, I really preferred the situational questions. I felt like it was a lot easier to answer them naturally by putting myself in the situation and just explaining what I would do. With generic STAR answers, I sometimes find it hard to convey via text personality and values. Yeah, you can tick the boxes they want you to tick, but Centrica in particular seems to value a passionately personal approach that exceeds box ticking rather than impersonal formulaic responses (basing this off of several magazine interviews with board members).

Who knows though? I'm still praying I pass through to the AC :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by RhyddleMeThis
I've applied too, to the HR scheme. I'm waiting to hear back still. Actually pretty gutted that I got my application in so late, but it couldn't really be helped since I missed around 2 months of uni for a NID.

Contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion, I really preferred the situational questions. I felt like it was a lot easier to answer them naturally by putting myself in the situation and just explaining what I would do. With generic STAR answers, I sometimes find it hard to convey via text personality and values. Yeah, you can tick the boxes they want you to tick, but Centrica in particular seems to value a passionately personal approach that exceeds box ticking rather than impersonal formulaic responses (basing this off of several magazine interviews with board members).

Who knows though? I'm still praying I pass through to the AC :tongue:

How long from submitting your application did they invite you to the telephone interview? The interview sounds completely different from last year, which makes me wonder if the AC has also been changed.

Also good luck with your application :smile:
Original post by Fumi
How long from submitting your application did they invite you to the telephone interview? The interview sounds completely different from last year, which makes me wonder if the AC has also been changed.

Also good luck with your application :smile:

Oh I'm sorry, I didn't mean to mislead; I'm still waiting to hear on ANY response. I was just saying I will just be happy if I make it to the assessment centre because I'd love the experience. I'm guessing you're in the same situation as me if you're asking?

I was basing my earlier response off of the application questions. I wouldn't be too surprised if the AC has changed as well, but considering that Centrica staff turnover is a pretty low percentage, I'd be surprised if the atmosphere is any different. People in previous years have always described the phone interviews as rushed and impersonal, box ticking, etc., but the AC as an environment in which the current employees WANT you to succeed and want to encourage you, rather than inspire anxiety and doubt.
Reply 19
I have another telephone interview after having the initial situation based one. The next telephone interview is more behavioural and motivational, similar to previous years.

Quick Reply

Latest