The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

If the burqa is a form of oppression, then so are bikinis?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zamestaneh
Unwanted attention from men.

do you're saying that men should also wear a burqa (niqab) to avoid unwanted attention from *women*? also, if women want less attention, why on earth would you think wearing a niqab would make this problem better and not worse? how is walking around looking like a black letterbox binbag going to deflect attention?!
Burqa offers the greatest freedom there is; freedom from westernisation. Anglo American culture is far more oppressing; they are slaves to instagram, to high street fashion, to social media, to alcohol, cigarettes, awful microwaveable/fast food. US/UK now outside the big metros is one big cultural wasteland, essentially drowning in a sea of benefits, obesity, special brew and single mothers.
Reply 42
Original post by Moral Decay
Burqa offers the greatest freedom there is; freedom from westernisation. Anglo American culture is far more oppressing; they are slaves to instagram, to high street fashion, to social media, to alcohol, cigarettes, awful microwaveable/fast food. US/UK now outside the big metros is one big cultural wasteland, essentially drowning in a sea of benefits, obesity, special brew and single mothers.

Lots of Muslim countries have all these things e.g. Turkey, Indonesia, Pakistan.
Us westerners must bear in mind that for a woman to go down the seaside in a bikini or to walk the streets in a mini-skirt a century ago would have been met with a wall of intolerance pretty much on the same grounds claimed by burkini fashionistas nowadays. What does that tell us?
Original post by zhog
Us westerners must bear in mind that for a woman to go down the seaside in a bikini or to walk the streets in a mini-skirt a century ago would have been met with a wall of intolerance pretty much on the same grounds claimed by burkini fashionistas nowadays. What does that tell us?

That we are a progressive society!
No woman is forced to wear a bikini, ; some women are forced to wear the burqa.
Original post by sleepysnooze
do you're saying that men should also wear a burqa (niqab) to avoid unwanted attention from *women*? also, if women want less attention, why on earth would you think wearing a niqab would make this problem better and not worse? how is walking around looking like a black letterbox binbag going to deflect attention?!

I would rep you if could.
Original post by Robby2312
Because they don't make a free choice to wear it.They only wear it because their religous beliefs tell them they must do so.These religous beliefs were invented by men to prevent other men from looking at their 'property' lustfully.If a woman refuses to wear a burqa or a hijab then she is often alienated from the local community and put under pressure to cover up.The burqa is all about men telling women what to do.Just because it is muslim men telling muslim women what to do doesnt make it less wrong.Liberals like to ignore it by saying its just their culture.Just like they ignore gender segregation in schools.They are so terrified of being thought racist that they are now operating a sort of reverse racism.They dont hold brown people to the same standards as white people.They say its just their culture/tradition so it doesnt matter if they are sexist.We don't expect them to adhere to the same rules as white people.Why don't liberals hold them to the same standard as white people?Because of their race and skin colour.Hence racism.

I just wanted to point out that religious beliefs don't dictate women should wear burqas and burqas actually predate Islam.
When women take part in pilgrimage to Mecca, which is probably one of the holiest thing a Muslim can do, they're not allowed to wear a burqa. The only requirment is that we cover our hair when we pray.
There is no way you can position the bikini as oppressive. I've never had any issue with wearing a one-piece or more at a beach. In fact if anything, it's the collective will of every seeing person in the vicinity that keeps me out of a bikini.
Original post by mkap
one thing i dont understand when people saying wear the burqa is oppression

why the f*** is it oppression when the person themselves choose to wear it

I completely agree with you because a large % of women are happy to wear it
but there are many girls and women who are forced to wear it. Just look at Iran and Saudi Arabia
Also, within muslim famillies parents force the girls to wear the burka when they do not want to wear it
Original post by Zamestaneh
Looking at history, the burqa was introduced to protect women, and it embodies modesty and dedication to God*.

I agree! Burqa was introduced because god said he wanted women to look this way. There is a hijab for men.

Lets make one thing clear.
MUSLIM WOMEN DO NOT WEAR THE BURQA FOR MEN. THEY WEAR IT FOR GOD.
Original post by cuddle_me_in
I just wanted to point out that religious beliefs don't dictate women should wear burqas and burqas actually predate Islam.
When women take part in pilgrimage to Mecca, which is probably one of the holiest thing a Muslim can do, they're not allowed to wear a burqa. The only requirment is that we cover our hair when we pray.

I think they mean the headscarf as burqa
I think a better question is, if some women in the UK are in future forced to wear the bikini, would it then be a suitable to ban it?
Original post by champ_mc99
I think a better question is, if some women in the UK are in future forced to wear the bikini, would it then be a suitable to ban it?

But, who wears a bikini everyday? British weather isn't hot enough to wear a bikini.
Original post by Ishax
But, who wears a bikini everyday? British weather isn't hot enough to wear a bikini.

Doesn't really matter if it's not every day. Alright, what if they are "forced" every-time they go to the beach.
Doesn't really matter if it's not every day. Alright, what if they are "forced" every-time they go to the beach.

I doubt many women are forced to wear a Bikini and mainly in Asian countries they're not allowed to anyway. I just think people should wear whatever they want to, due to religious beliefs or not. No one should be forced to wear anything.

Plus, I personally don't think you can compare a bikini.
Original post by ed98
I don't get your point.

Looking at the history of the two garment proves you incorrect. The bikini was part of the sexual revolution and embodies freedom.

The burqa was used as a form of control and was forced upon women during the Islamic revolution.

Whilst, Islam promotes modesty. Its important to note that the Burqa is NOT compulsory on women through Islam. No where does it mention in religious scriptures that the burqa specifically is to be worn by women.

Its important people realise Islam didn't create the Burqa but culture and people over time did.
Original post by Ishax
I doubt many women are forced to wear a Bikini and mainly in Asian countries they're not allowed to anyway. I just think people should wear whatever they want to, due to religious beliefs or not. No one should be forced to wear anything.

Plus, I personally don't think you can compare a bikini.

Alright let's make it easier. Imagine the scenario:

Skirts are worn regularly by many women. Although some are forced to wear it - oppression.

Like the burkini, should we ban skirts due to oppression?
Alright let's make it easier. Imagine the scenario:

Skirts are worn regularly by many women. Although some are forced to wear it - oppression.

Like the burkini, should we ban skirts due to oppression?

Lol, I think you're missing the point I made. Read page 1 of this thread. I don't think women are oppressed to wear a skirt, the reason for these types of thread are is because women have to cover their hair and maintain modesty, whereas the majority men don't.

Also if you think women are oppressed and have to wear a bikini/skirt, then make a thread with a poll for women to answer. Men usually wear shorts and no t-shirts at beaches, are they oppressed?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by mkap
ok so what about nuns then?

1. Nuns don't dress in religious clothes anymore nowadays. (When was the last time you saw one?)
2. You can still see their face.
3. Their number is dwindling. Unfortunately, you cannot say the same for Islamists.
4. It is (was) a "professional" outfit. The burqa was designed for laywomen, not clerics.

Hope that helps.

Latest

Trending

Trending