The Student Room Group

Postgrad Paranoia

nn
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jason kelly
Hey guys, Im doing my masters degree here in the midlands. I moved here for 1 year as it was a 1 year course, but my friend who studies another masters course in my uni is in a 1 year course too but apparantly he has an extra semester to work on his dissertation, so it ends up being more than 1 year. I dont get it, doesnt 1 year mean everything is done in 1 year? Im worried mine might be longer but they just didnt tell me. Im worried as I only moved here for 1 year and need to go back home after 1 year qualified and help my family with financial issues. i need to get me degree over with and i didnt agree for anthing longer than 12 months. :/ Please get back to me anybody. Thanks!

What do you want us to tell you? What course and university are you at? How do you not know your course duration before applying?

By a year, some taught Masters programs mean a full year, rather than an 'academic year' that the undergrad programs follow. e.g. sept 2016 - sept 2017 instead of sept 2016 - june 2017... which gives you the summer to write a dissertation /thesis after summer exams. This might be the 'extra semester' your friend is on about.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by hezzlington
What do you want us to tell you? What course and university are you at? How do you not know your course duration before applying?

By a year, some taught Masters programs mean a full year, rather than an 'academic year' that the undergrad programs follow. e.g. sept 2016 - sept 2017 instead of sept 2016 - june 2017... which gives you the summer to write a dissertation /thesis after summer exams. This might be the 'extra semester' your friend is on about.

Hey, Im at UEL. We both started in January 2016 and on my account it says I will finish in Jan 2017. He said he will finish in May after submitting his dissertation.Its quite strange thats longer than a year.
So basically Im worried they might say to me i have to submit mine in may too
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Jason kelly
Hey, Im at UEL. We both started in January 2016 and on my account it says I will finish in Jan 2017. He said he will finish in May after submitting his dissertation.Its quite strange thats longer than a year.
So basically Im worried they might say to me i have to submit mine in may too

He may have had to extend his course due to health grounds or extenuating circumstances or something. If it says on your account that you should finish in Jan 2017, then I'd assume you have nothing to worry about regarding your own course? :dontknow:
Original post by jason kelly
hey, im at uel. We both started in january 2016 and on my account it says i will finish in jan 2017. He said he will finish in may after submitting his dissertation.its quite strange thats longer than a year.
So basically im worried they might say to me i have to submit mine in may too

why not talk to your department?
You're a postgrad, not a schoolkid. Talk to your department, check the course regulations, speak to the admin department. I'm sure you could get an answer with one or two phone calls. Did you think to contact any of those people?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending