The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm applying to Cambridge for Economics. For AS Level I took Economics (A), Chemistry (A) and Chinese (B), as well as Maths A Level (A*). I'm also taking Further Maths this year. I have dropped Chinese now, and I'm predicted A*A*A*A* in Economics, Chemistry and Maths/Further Maths.

Economics and Chemistry are linear, so although I scored really highly with my raw marks (131/140 in Chemistry) and my school estimated me 100% UMS in Economics, am I right in thinking I'm not going to be able to report these scores? Or will they be reflected in my teacher reference?

It's virtually impossible for a non-native speaker to achieve above a B in Chinese, so will this also be reflected when assessing my ability? I have to give my UMS for this subject as it is non-reformed, and I was only one mark off an A, so will I not be too disadvantaged compared to those with 3/4As at AS Level?

Thanks for your time! Really appreciate this thread.
Reply 341
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
You're very welcome, very glad to have helped. Thank you for your best wishes, am enjoying the new role greatly! :smile:

Hello again,

Please could I ask another couple of questions.

1. I understand that admissions tutors can compare their applicants with applicants to other colleges at the pre-interview stage by means of moderation (?) sheets. I was wondering what criteria are used to rate/rank applicants.

2. For the winter pool, what proportion of those pooled will have been pooled because they met the criteria for compulsory pooling? What I'm interested in really is how likely it is to be pooled if you miss the criteria for compulsory pooling (based on AS UMS). I have UMS from 3 unreformed AS (French, Spanish and Philosophy/ethics) and 91% average. Applying for MML.
Original post by Ypw
Hello again,

1. I understand that admissions tutors can compare their applicants with applicants to other colleges at the pre-interview stage by means of moderation (?) sheets. I was wondering what criteria are used to rate/rank applicants.

2. For the winter pool, what proportion of those pooled will have been pooled because they met the criteria for compulsory pooling? What I'm interested in really is how likely it is to be pooled if you miss the criteria for compulsory pooling (based on AS UMS). I have UMS from 3 unreformed AS (French, Spanish and Philosophy/ethics) and 91% average. Applying for MML.

theirs a formula for compulsory pooling? That is news to me would love to know what it is.
Original post by Luke7456
theirs a formula for compulsory pooling? That is news to me would love to know what it is.

Basically* >=93 average UMS except for Maths & Medicine courses.

However, this is not so relevant now because most subjects don't have UMS so the averages are "incomplete".

*It's a bit more complicated than this.
Original post by jneill
Basically* >=93 average UMS except for Maths & Medicine courses.

However, this is not so relevant now because most subjects don't have UMS so the averages are "incomplete".

*It's a bit more complicated than this.

dang i want to do maths since my a levels will be maths further maths and additional further maths, and I have selected the old modular A levels because self teaching unlikely to have a reference I need hard results for applying half way through not predictions.

so I will have UMS but their is no compulsory pooling for maths? I guess UMS may not be the way but if I sat step 1 and 2 half way through and pulled of distinction and distinction would I be auto pooled then?
Original post by Luke7456
dang i want to do maths since my a levels will be maths further maths and additional further maths, and I have selected the old modular A levels because self teaching unlikely to have a reference I need hard results for applying half way through not predictions.

so I will have UMS but their is no compulsory pooling for maths? I guess UMS may not be the way but if I sat step 1 and 2 half way through and pulled of distinction and distinction would I be auto pooled then?

There's no autopool for Maths. At all. And don't do STEP early unless you are confident you'll get 1 or better. Most only sit STEP at the end of Y13 as part of their offer, no need to do it early.

(But, oops I'm in the wrong thing thread, I'll leave the rest of this to Dr Spencer!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
For Natural Sciences, how often is the typical offer of A*A*A upped to 3A*?
Thanks!
Original post by jamestg
Would it be possible to be entered in for those additional exams after receiving offers, or do UCAS need to know every exam you're going to take?

I'm thinking of taking additional maths exams (FP1 and S2) for economics.

It is possible but you'd need to update UCAS and/or your universities.
Original post by Smalltrims
Hi, I was wondering whether you could give some advice about tutor references please? I am worried that whilst the content of my reference will be very positive there is a chance that my tutor may not write at the same standard as those who write many Cambridge references every year. This is her first year as a year 13 tutor and felt she didn't know much about what to include in my reference. I have given her some ideas that I would like included but won't see the reference before submission. Does the quality of the teacher reference matter in the same way as it does with regards to the personal statement?

The teacher reference is very useful but we are used to reading ones from inexperienced referees. It's you we are judging, not your teachers, so we aren't going to think less of you if the reference isn't wonderfully written.
Original post by Strimpy
Ok thanks so much :h:

Also sorry to bother you with another question but how does it work with sending in the essays? I've read around some of the College websites and the impression I've got is that you have to post it to your college, but I'm not sure how this would work with me making an open application?

The Open application allocation takes place around 19 October. You'll then be assigned to a college and they will be in touch to tell you what they want and when and you will know who to contact in case of any queries.
Original post by Newmember200
Hi Dr Spencer thank you for doing this, I'm applying for Physical Natural Sciences and was wondering whether I stand a good chance or not

At GCSE I got 10A*'s and 2A's
I got A in AS Physics (2nd in my college) and AS Chemistry and got A* in my maths A level. My UMS is:
Core 1- 100
Core 2- 99
Core 3- 100
Core 4- 100
Mechanics 1- 100
Decision 1- 100
Further Pure 1 (self taught)- 87
Decision 2- 80

Thank you again for doing this :smile:

Hello and thanks for your question. It's a pleasure to help. Yes, you'll be a strong candidate on paper with those results.
Original post by asdasdasdaasda12
Hi
I am applying to this Engineering this year but the way i did my a levels is different i have done all of Mathematics and 4/6 units in further mathematics.
this year i am going to be doing the 2 other units in further mathematics and also all of Physics a level. The reason i did it this way is because i am doing it early i am 15 currently These are my scores in units i have done
C1 97
C2 90
C3 93
C4 90
S1-87
S2-100
D1-90
D2-85
FP1-100
FP2-100
M1-THIS YEAR
M2-THIS YEAR
PHYSICS-THIS YEAR PREDICTED A*
maths gcse-A*
all other gcse i am predicted A*s and As
so hopefully i will have minimum of A*A*A but i think i will get A*A*A*
Do you think i will have high chance of getting an interview?

all this maths is all self taught

Hello and thanks for your question. I think you need to be careful about apply this year. You are still very young and are clearly going to be a good candidate given your results so far. However, as you haven't done any Physics until this year or any Mechanics this will be a concern for us.

I don't mean to discourage you as I think you are likely to make a very strong candidate at the right time but there is no need to rush things and it is pretty rare for the university to admit 16 year olds.
Original post by IcedArizona
Hello! :smile: Thank you for taking time answering to this thread, it's really appreciated!
I'm applying from France for NatSci (physical) and predicted an 18/20 at the bac (with OIB). I have done 3 GCSE's and one AS level as my school offered us to do so. Unfortunately I got A*BC in gcses for maths English lit and English language respectively but this was my first year of international education and basically completed my gcse's in less than 10 months. My teacher mentioned this is my reference. Also I got an A in maths AS level with average UMS but as I did those AS alongside my French Bac curriculum I was wondering how important these grades will be in considering my application?

Furthermore I am doing my school transcript with my uni tutors and we were wondering if it was ok to put last year's averages from my school report as those are what we consider "internal examinations". I have looked at the overseas model on the Cambridge website.

Thank you for your help :smile:

Hello, we will certainly look at your Maths scores with interest as we like to be assured of the Maths strength of candidates with the French Bac for heavily mathematical subjects. You don't need to worry about the English Lit and Language scores for Sciences, they are fine.

Yes, that seems fine about the transcript.
Original post by asdasdasdaasda12
Hi
i have one more questions i have been looking at the ENGAA specimen paper and it looks kind of easy-okish, will the questions be of similar difficulty or will it be much harder? i have looked at other admission tests and for some the specimen and the past papers are completely different (the past papers are harder) would this be the same with ENGAA because there are 54 questions?

The specimen paper will reflect the difficulty in the real paper - there is no point in us giving a false indication of how hard the assessments will be. We don't want candidates to be blind sided but to give them the opportunity to do their best.
Original post by somebodyelse98
I'm applying to Cambridge for Economics. For AS Level I took Economics (A), Chemistry (A) and Chinese (B), as well as Maths A Level (A*). I'm also taking Further Maths this year. I have dropped Chinese now, and I'm predicted A*A*A*A* in Economics, Chemistry and Maths/Further Maths.

Economics and Chemistry are linear, so although I scored really highly with my raw marks (131/140 in Chemistry) and my school estimated me 100% UMS in Economics, am I right in thinking I'm not going to be able to report these scores? Or will they be reflected in my teacher reference?

It's virtually impossible for a non-native speaker to achieve above a B in Chinese, so will this also be reflected when assessing my ability? I have to give my UMS for this subject as it is non-reformed, and I was only one mark off an A, so will I not be too disadvantaged compared to those with 3/4As at AS Level?

Thanks for your time! Really appreciate this thread.

Hello and thanks for your questions. You should get your teachers to report the scores in your reference as they look very strong. We don't make allowances for Chinese for non-native speakers as we don't regard it as impossible to get an A in, I've seen plenty in my time. You need not be too concerned, however, as you have very strong scores in more relevant subjects and, as you say, are very close to an A.
Original post by Ypw
Hello again,

Hello and thanks for your questions. 1) Candidates used to be ranked in the spreadsheets according to UMS (best 3 for arts and humanities; best 3 Maths/Sciences for Science subjects) but from this year there won't be rankings in the spreadsheet.

2) It's impossible to say really. Lots of candidates meet the criteria for compulsory pooling but were pooled not specifically for that but because they were strong candidates (i.e. they would have been pooled anyway). Plenty of candidates get pooled without meeting the compulsory pooling criteria and, this year, the vast majority will be in that situation as relatively few students will have 3 unreformed AS subjects. With 91% best three you certainly aren't outside the usual range of offers for MML.
Reply 356
Hello and thanks for your questions. 1) Candidates used to be ranked in the spreadsheets according to UMS (best 3 for arts and humanities; best 3 Maths/Sciences for Science subjects) but from this year there won't be rankings in the spreadsheet.

2) It's impossible to say really. Lots of candidates meet the criteria for compulsory pooling but were pooled not specifically for that but because they were strong candidates (i.e. they would have been pooled anyway). Plenty of candidates get pooled without meeting the compulsory pooling criteria and, this year, the vast majority will be in that situation as relatively few students will have 3 unreformed AS subjects. With 91% best three you certainly aren't outside the usual range of offers for MML.

Many thanks for your reply.

Have a lovely weekend!
Original post by Lewisalot
For Natural Sciences, how often is the typical offer of A*A*A upped to 3A*?
Thanks!

It's not that uncommon for Physical Nat Scis to end up with what is in effect a 3 A* offer, as colleges have to find an equitable way of dealing with the issue of how different schools handle students doing Maths and FM (i.e. soome do all of Maths in one year and then FM in Year 13, while others do the AS of both in year 12 and the A2 for both in Year 13). Many colleges thus offer A*A*A on FM, Physics and Chemistry and ignore the Maths grade in terms of the offer (though not in deciding who gets an offer).
Original post by Ypw
Many thanks for your reply.

Have a lovely weekend!

Thanks very much, you too! :smile:
It is possible but you'd need to update UCAS and/or your universities.

Thanks for your reply.

What's your take on AEA Maths for entry onto Econ? Would it form part of an offer or/and would it be beneficial for those not taking FM?

Latest

Trending

Trending