The Student Room Group

CUSU Shadowing Scheme 2016/17

Has anybody here applied to the Shadowing Scheme this year?

More info: https://www.applytocambridge.com/shadowing/

I've applied for English but I don't think I will be successful as I don't meet most of the prioritisation criteria and my GCSEs are pretty average for Cambridge.

What have other people applied for?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I've applied for MML (Spanish). My GCSEs are average too but I'm praying I get in lol only 11 weeks left
Reply 2
Ah that's cool! I've applied for English Lit but trying to keep my hopes down so I don't get too disappointed if (when) I'm not accepted... December 23rd seems so long to wait rip
You shouldn't bring yourself down. If you don't get in, you could apply for the UNIQ summer school at Oxford. That's my plan :3
What did you put as your second choice? Mine was English
Original post by WeepingAngel14
I've applied for MML (Spanish). My GCSEs are average too but I'm praying I get in lol only 11 weeks left

If you have questions re:MML, holla, third year student here :smile:
Original post by Paralove
If you have questions re:MML, holla, third year student here :smile:

Oh my goodness, you are a godsend!
I was wondering what the workload is like, for both the post A Level language and the ab initio (I'm thinking of taking Italian)? What types of work do you do, e.g. Literature, film, history etc? What is your typical day like? And what are lectures, classes and supervisions like?
Sorry for all these questions lol
Oh my goodness, you are a godsend!
I was wondering what the workload is like, for both the post A Level language and the ab initio (I'm thinking of taking Italian)? What types of work do you do, e.g. Literature, film, history etc? What is your typical day like? And what are lectures, classes and supervisions like?
Sorry for all these questions lol

Shall reply in PM to prevent derailing/ unnecessary posting aha
I applied for NatSci and chemical engineering as second choice
Reply 8
I put down Geography as my 2nd choice :smile: I think I'll try applying for the Sutton Trust schools and the UNIQ summer school, but I read on their website that last year, over 90% of their places were given to people who came from an area that rated 1 or 2 on the POLAR scale but the area I live in is rated as a 4 :') but it's still worth a shot!
Reply 9
Original post by PuffyPenguin
I applied for NatSci and chemical engineering as second choice

ah that's cool! what a levels are you taking?
I went on this scheme last year for Phys natsci :smile: So if anyone has any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer, or try to answer them!
I had a lovely time and I still talk to my mentor that I shadowed.
I even had the chance to sit in on a supervision and had the supervisor ask me questions.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pentaquark
I went on this scheme last year for Phys natsci :smile: So if anyone has any questions about it, I'd be happy to answer, or try to answer them!
I had a lovely time and I still talk to my mentor that I shadowed.
I even got to sit in on a supervision and even had the supervisor ask me questions.

Ooh, thank you :smile: What did you get up to each day?
Ooh, thank you :smile: What did you get up to each day?

I would go to lectures with my mentor and just follow her around :smile:
It all depends on your person. I got to visit some colleges and had a general look around Cambridge.
And if you want to go see anything in particular then it shouldn't be a problem as they can arrange for someone else to take you there if your mentor isn't able to.
And there are activities during the day that you can choose to go to as well!
You won't be bored. And if you want to just chill in your room then that is fine too as long as your mentor knows.

We got to experience a formal too! My formal hall experience was in St Johns and it was pretty amazing!
I'll actually show you my timetable in fact. That should be better than me trying to remember exactly what I did.
I would go to lectures with my mentor and just follow her around :smile:
It all depends on your person. I got to visit some colleges and had a general look around Cambridge.
And if you want to go see anything in particular then it shouldn't be a problem as they can arrange for someone else to take you there if your mentor isn't able to.
And there are activities during the day that you can choose to go to as well!
You won't be bored. And if you want to just chill in your room then that is fine too as long as your mentor knows.

We got to experience a formal too! My formal hall experience was in St Johns and it was pretty amazing!
I'll actually show you my timetable in fact. That should be better than me trying to remember exactly what I did.

Oh but they took so damn long to serve the food at that formal...
Oh but they took so damn long to serve the food at that formal...

It was worth the wait! haha tbh I think I was just amazed at how pretty it was that I didn't really think about how long it took for the food to come out lol
(edited 7 years ago)
It was worth the wait! haha tbh I think I was just amazed at how pretty it was that I didn't really think about how it took for the food to come out lol

I was there as an access officer so know what it's like elsewhere, the food was good but just ridic they served it all by hand and each bit separately... I'm used to getting a plate with the meat and trays of veg and potatoes along the table to self-serve :P I was so hungry, probab;y also an issue hahaha
I was there as an access officer so know what it's like elsewhere, the food was good but just ridic they served it all by hand and each bit separately... I'm used to getting a plate with the meat and trays of veg and potatoes along the table to self-serve :P I was so hungry, probab;y also an issue hahaha

I thought it was really fancy (and kinda posh) that they served it like that lol
But in a good way! A memorable experience :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
I thought it really fancy (and kinda posh) that they served it like that lol
But in a good way! A memorable experience :smile:

Yeah, and the hall is beaut. I'm just one for wanting food asap! Glad you enjoyed it though, formals are great fun. We went to one at Selwyn the following week but it was also with current students and the choir were slightly tipsy and started singing... Was very entertaining.
Reply 18
I just applied as well, I applied for medicine and my second choice is science. Hopefully I get in
Original post by asleep
Has anybody here applied to the Shadowing Scheme this year?

I've applied for English but I don't think I will be successful as I don't meet most of the prioritisation criteria and my GCSEs are pretty average for Cambridge.

What have other people applied for?

Hi I've applied for medicine and natural sciences. I doubt that I'll get in though, it doesn't seem like there's a lot of places :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending