The Student Room Group

Dropped out of university.

Not entirely sure how this site works but I really need advice from people who have either been in a similar situation or have experience with what I'm dealing with.

Anyway, I made the decision to drop out of uni back in April of this year. It wasn't my immediate choice and if I could have stayed then I would have. I was studying Psychology at Strathclyde which I really loved but I was really unhappy with the combination of subjects (English and Italian) that I was doing. I had hoped to stick them out until the end of the year and change to something different in second year while continuing to study Psychology. However, I found out in the run up to exams that I would have to continue with the subjects that I didn't enjoy in my second year and this was a real issue for me. I met with/emailed various faculty members in my best effort to change these subjects and eventually tried to transfer to a completely different degree altogether in order for me to remain at university as it was really important to me as I initially didn't like the idea of dropping out completely. The transfer couldn't be done and I was left with the thought of another year of study in subjects that I wasn't enjoying and had no passion for. After discussing the situation with my advisor I made the decision to withdraw before exams (I was having a lot of anxiety over them and was stressed about studying for a whole list of exams that I knew I wouldn't pass as I found the subjects extremely difficult as well as not enjoying them) to then focus on a college application as I had missed the window to apply for September entry of this year and I didn't want to be out of education for over a year. My next best option was to apply to college for the time being, however, as expected there were extremely limited places left on most courses. I'm currently at college in Glasgow studying an HND in Marketing (which I'm not enjoying as Psychology is my passion and what I really want to study) but I want to get back to university as soon as I can so I'm trying to apply again this year for first year entry in 2017 at other unis and even Strathclyde again (if they'll let me in & with a different combination of subjects this time).

I feel really lost and as though I'm the only one in this situation. I keep thinking I've completely screwed up and won't get back into uni again and that dropping out was a huge mistake, but I wasn't happy with what I was doing aside from Psychology. I'm really struggling with how I go about reapplying and getting references etc again so I was just wondering if anyone had dropped out and went back to even the same uni/a different one and how the application process went?

Thanks
Original post by abbybryce
Not entirely sure how this site works but I really need advice from people who have either been in a similar situation or have experience with what I'm dealing with.

Anyway, I made the decision to drop out of uni back in April of this year. It wasn't my immediate choice and if I could have stayed then I would have. I was studying Psychology at Strathclyde which I really loved but I was really unhappy with the combination of subjects (English and Italian) that I was doing. I had hoped to stick them out until the end of the year and change to something different in second year while continuing to study Psychology. However, I found out in the run up to exams that I would have to continue with the subjects that I didn't enjoy in my second year and this was a real issue for me. I met with/emailed various faculty members in my best effort to change these subjects and eventually tried to transfer to a completely different degree altogether in order for me to remain at university as it was really important to me as I initially didn't like the idea of dropping out completely. The transfer couldn't be done and I was left with the thought of another year of study in subjects that I wasn't enjoying and had no passion for. After discussing the situation with my advisor I made the decision to withdraw before exams (I was having a lot of anxiety over them and was stressed about studying for a whole list of exams that I knew I wouldn't pass as I found the subjects extremely difficult as well as not enjoying them) to then focus on a college application as I had missed the window to apply for September entry of this year and I didn't want to be out of education for over a year. My next best option was to apply to college for the time being, however, as expected there were extremely limited places left on most courses. I'm currently at college in Glasgow studying an HND in Marketing (which I'm not enjoying as Psychology is my passion and what I really want to study) but I want to get back to university as soon as I can so I'm trying to apply again this year for first year entry in 2017 at other unis and even Strathclyde again (if they'll let me in & with a different combination of subjects this time).

I feel really lost and as though I'm the only one in this situation. I keep thinking I've completely screwed up and won't get back into uni again and that dropping out was a huge mistake, but I wasn't happy with what I was doing aside from Psychology. I'm really struggling with how I go about reapplying and getting references etc again so I was just wondering if anyone had dropped out and went back to even the same uni/a different one and how the application process went?

Thanks

One consideration to make is that, you've used quite a bit of funding up already, you need to give saas a call before you carry on with anything else.
Original post by claireestelle
One consideration to make is that, you've used quite a bit of funding up already, you need to give saas a call before you carry on with anything else.

She's used one year for the degree? Will she have used a further year for the HND?
Original post by 999tigger
She's used one year for the degree? Will she have used a further year for the HND?

That's my concern, could be an issue if she's considered to have used two up.

Thanks

I think youve managed it a lot better thna a lot of people who post issues on this forum. Youve talked to people and you withdrew without taking exams, so you havent failed anything. O think you did the right thing instead of leaving i till year 2 or 3 which could have you failing and incredibly unhappy.

I think claire identified the most importnat area of checking funding. The Uni year was your gift year, so you need to check the impact of the HND on funding if any.

Just try and get on straight psychology. or one where its the main subject plus additional ones you can cope with. Im sure Straclyde will look on it favourably if you were performing well and keep in contact with your tutor or the department.

When talking to SAAS maybe it will be possible to try and get the HND year discounted if you pay them the money back, which is likely to be less for a HND than a year in Uni. If the OP had posted her before starting the HND then this would have been flaged up. Im sure I would have said drop out, get a job earn money and reapply.
(edited 7 years ago)
How many years was your original degree - i.e. how many years did you apply for funding for?
I think the best thing you can do is make the most of this gap. Get a job, do things you're passionate about, maybe do volunteering in a psychology related role then when it comes to reapplying you'll look great. In terms of references you'll have to either use the college you're currently at or an employer. When I applied through my employer my boss was so useless sp I wrote my own reference and he copied it into the link on his email and it worked. I didn't like doing that but I had no choice.
In terms of student finance as long as you've only had one years worth you'll be fine to do a 3 year degree :smile:
Don't despair, start phoning universities and faculties, explain the situation, ask for advice.. You'll be fine :smile:
Reply 7
[QUOTE=claireestelle;67925062]One consideration to make is that, you've used quite a bit of funding up already, you need to give saas a call before you carry on with anything else.

Yeah that's my biggest worry at the moment. I know I'll only receive funding for 4 years and having already studied for 1 year at university I'm now using another year for the first year of this HND. So I'll only have 2 left and of course most university course take 4 years to complete.
Reply 8
[QUOTE=Reality Check;67925186]How many years was your original degree - i.e. how many years did you apply for funding for?

The course was 4 years but I dropped out after the first so I didn't submit an application for funding for the second year since. SAAS are funding the HND but if I do apply to university this year and have an offer that I accept then I'll leave after having only gained an HNC at college so it would be 1 year or funding and not the standard 2 for an HND.
The course was 4 years but I dropped out after the first so I didn't submit an application for funding for the second year since. SAAS are funding the HND but if I do apply to university this year and have an offer that I accept then I'll leave after having only gained an HNC at college so it would be 1 year or funding and not the standard 2 for an HND.

They would count it as you having used 2 up in total, call them for advice; it's possible if you drop out of the hnc now you could still get 3 years, but i m really not sure on that.

Yes, you're best to contact them about this, but the fact your original course was 4 years and not 3 helps. The regulations are, as you know, very complicated and no-one on here is properly qualified to advise you. Don't delay!
Yeah that's my biggest worry at the moment. I know I'll only receive funding for 4 years and having already studied for 1 year at university I'm now using another year for the first year of this HND. So I'll only have 2 left and of course most university course take 4 years to complete.

It was a bad choice. You need to drop out of the HNC imo and see if they cna give you the money back, especially if you started just now. Talk to the college and saas asap. You might be able to drop out with no fees.

Ofc maybe the HND will let you move directly in second year, which ofc would mean you have enough funding to complete a degree, although if you wnated to do full psychology its unlikely they would accept the transfer.

Your difficulty is that if they do count it as 2 years, the uear they wont pay will be your first year and not the third, so you will have to fund that yourself. That means you need £9000+ living expenses handy.

Better to just get a job and earn money, then start fresh in 2017.
Just to confirm, bit messy and if youd dropped out sooner you could have just started now, but imo you made the right choice dropping out and biding your time plus protecting your funding so you cna do the degree you want at the palce you want.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending