The Student Room Group

What are your favourite inventions in history?

What are your favourite inventions from history?

Do you have any predictions for future inventions? It has to be realistic and invented in your lifetime. :holmes:
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Picking one is so hard! I do love how portable things have become though.

Having just come back from Scotland, I did love just stepping on to a plane and being there in 90 minutes. (By train - 10 bloody hours!)
(edited 7 years ago)
I like smartphones. I couldn't have imaged how amazing phones would be when I was younger and had one of those legendary Nokias. Now you can do so much on one device, it's so useful :smile:
The quantum computer
Original post by Black Rose

Do you have any predictions for future inventions? It has to be realistic and invented in your lifetime. :holmes:

Favourite inventions... got to be electricity. Nikola Tesla's work in the field literally paved the way for all of modern life, and whilst he wasn't responsible for the invention of electricity, the innovations which he made allowed electricity to be what it is today.

For the future, I think that quantum computing will be a big thing when (or if) we get there. Classical computers can only become so small before quantum effects come into play, so it seems logical to take advantage of that and use those quantum effects for our advantage. I worry though about the effects on cryptography and cyber-security, so advances here may be more bad than good - likewise for development of an artificial super-intelligence.

In the life sciences, CRISPR has already begun growth in the field of genetic technology. I'd go into this in more detail, but Kurzgesagt have done a much better job than I ever could!
the next invention is going to be:
iphone Glass(a phone made out of glass):biggrin:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
I like smartphones. I couldn't have imaged how amazing phones would be when I was younger and had one of those legendary Nokias. Now you can do so much on one device, it's so useful :smile:

I really hate them. Perhaps I'm being a miserable old fogey, but it used to be that people spoke to each other while waiting outside classes. Now everyone is staring down at their phones. Not to mention how many of these imbeciles I've almost hit driving around campus - they're utterly engrossed in their phones and don't bother looking where they're going.

:shakecane:
Pizza. Whoever invented it is a God among humans.

Original post by tamil fever
the next invention is going to be:
iphone Glass(a phone made out of glass):biggrin:

I thought iPhones were made out of glass? Either that or a similarly easy-to-break material.
Reply 8
The Internet and nuclear weapons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WoodyMKC

I thought iPhones were made out of glass? Either that or a similarly easy-to-break material.

lol.not that glass.I mean proper see through glass like a window:biggrin:
technology

The light bulb.

Bc LEDs are better tho fam.

The flying machine - Assassins Creed II really put it across brilliantly.

My ex's cousin's once removed nephew knew Da Vinci, sound guy.
The car!
The Benz Patent MotorWagen started it all off in the late 1800s (it was the first useable car, thr previous attempts hadn't been very good)

Also the Wankel Rotary Engine is just magnificent! The piston engine is absolutely magnificent but the rotary engine beats it anyway for me!

Future, artificial petrol that means we can still use the engines we have today! :biggrin:
There are too many to think of :lol:The lightbulb was cool
First PC
The cyclotron :tongue:

I believe teleportation may be possible within the next century - so that :yep:
Original post by Maths is Life

Bc LEDs are better tho fam.

LEDs are a pain in the arse. I have prisms in my glasses to help me see better. But the LEDs + prisms make the lights go funny.
Original post by Sabertooth
I really hate them. Perhaps I'm being a miserable old fogey, but it used to be that people spoke to each other while waiting outside classes. Now everyone is staring down at their phones. Not to mention how many of these imbeciles I've almost hit driving around campus - they're utterly engrossed in their phones and don't bother looking where they're going.

I think you're right - I was watching the olympics on telly this summer and the crowd members were turning around when the athletes came past so they could take selfies... as if the important thing is making a picture of yourself ignoring the action happening right next to you.

Original post by Tiger Rag
LEDs are a pain in the arse. I have prisms in my glasses to help me see better. But the LEDs + prisms make the lights go funny.

Might be cheap LED bulbs which can be a bit stroboscopic :unsure:
Original post by Sabertooth

I have mixed views on them:
it is useful being able to just carry around one gadget. I received a phone call the other week from my dad while I was out. His car had broken down on him in the middle of nowhere and he had no internet; so couldn't contact the AA and asked if I could look up their number for him. It's also useful when out and I don't quite know where I am, which happens too often!

But like you, I do have the issue of people not looking where they're going and walking into me. And then there's the whole "I'm glued to my phone 24/7; so why aren't you?"

My favorite invention is Digital Camera. I think it is a worth.
Microchip
TSR :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending