The Student Room Group

lambing/calving work experience

Hiya all, I've just started year 12 this year and I'm looking to hopefully sort out all of my work experience. I've already done 2 weeks at a farm animal rescue (stables, dogs, cats, small animals, birds) and have been working every Sunday since September 2015 at a cattery every morning. This has put me with some good links for veterinary practises. I have arranged for a placement at a small animal practise for 2 weeks in October. I am also pending for a placement at a large animal practise for the summer. I can't however find any placements for lambing or calving. I have left my Easter half term free just for this lol. Does anyone have any placements or links which they would be able to PM me? I know that calving and lambing isn't an 100% essential but I would love to gain experience and knowledge in this sector. Especially since I have had minimum handling of these animals at the farm. Thank you everyone!
Original post by idree5
Hiya all, I've just started year 12 this year and I'm looking to hopefully sort out all of my work experience. I've already done 2 weeks at a farm animal rescue (stables, dogs, cats, small animals, birds) and have been working every Sunday since September 2015 at a cattery every morning. This has put me with some good links for veterinary practises. I have arranged for a placement at a small animal practise for 2 weeks in October. I am also pending for a placement at a large animal practise for the summer. I can't however find any placements for lambing or calving. I have left my Easter half term free just for this lol. Does anyone have any placements or links which they would be able to PM me? I know that calving and lambing isn't an 100% essential but I would love to gain experience and knowledge in this sector. Especially since I have had minimum handling of these animals at the farm. Thank you everyone!

Calving is difficult because it's not at Easter, however lambing have a look at NSA they often have farmers advertising for help during lambing time but be quick because this is also how some vet students find their EMS placements!

Www.nationalsheep.org.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
^^This
It may be difficult if you only have 2 weeks but try and get a variety of lambing experience. Different farms have very different systems. Lambing on a hill farm, where the majority of sheep give birth outside, was actually one of my favourite placements.
Reply 3
Original post by Lizziefickling
Calving is difficult because it's not at Easter, however lambing have a look at NSA they often have farmers advertising for help during lambing time but be quick because this is also how some vet students find their EMS placements!

Www.nationalsheep.org.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really? I had no idea lol. I always assumed spring. I guess this is proof I have a lot more experience to gain. Okay I'll put myself down for alerts when new listing are posted. Thanks for the help.

Original post by VMD100
^^This
It may be difficult if you only have 2 weeks but try and get a variety of lambing experience. Different farms have very different systems. Lambing on a hill farm, where the majority of sheep give birth outside, was actually one of my favourite placements.

Thank you I'll definitely try and see if I can go to more than one farm especially at a later date. The problem I'm finding is that I cant seem to find any particular farms or placements. Only general stuff.
Original post by idree5
Really? I had no idea lol. I always assumed spring. I guess this is proof I have a lot more experience to gain. Okay I'll put myself down for alerts when new listing are posted. Thanks for the help.

Thank you I'll definitely try and see if I can go to more than one farm especially at a later date. The problem I'm finding is that I cant seem to find any particular farms or placements. Only general stuff.

Yeah, I did my large animal clinical EMS at the end of June and they were coming to the end of their calvings then, I was there 2 weeks and we dealt with about 4 calvings in that time and they said that they were calming down with regards to calving by that point. Dairy farms obviously calve throughout the year, beef farms are the ones you want to go to but depending on where your Easter half term sits you'll be too early

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Yeah, I did my large animal clinical EMS at the end of June and they were coming to the end of their calvings then, I was there 2 weeks and we dealt with about 4 calvings in that time and they said that they were calming down with regards to calving by that point. Dairy farms obviously calve throughout the year, beef farms are the ones you want to go to but depending on where your Easter half term sits you'll be too early

Posted from TSR Mobile
I
Thanks this is great info. My east half terms are at the end or march/ beginning of April. Would this be too late? I'll leaning more towards lambing because it seems more realistic that i'll find a viable placement. But of course if a calf placement comes up I'll jumps at the chance. I just can't seem to find any specific farms or places to ring up or email. I live just outside of London so I'm still in quite a urban area. The placements would more than likely be quite far away and then I'd have to deal with the hassle of arranging a hotel or something. Hopefully the national sheep site will help me out.
Original post by idree5
I
Thanks this is great info. My east half terms are at the end or march/ beginning of April. Would this be too late? I'll leaning more towards lambing because it seems more realistic that i'll find a viable placement. But of course if a calf placement comes up I'll jumps at the chance. I just can't seem to find any specific farms or places to ring up or email. I live just outside of London so I'm still in quite a urban area. The placements would more than likely be quite far away and then I'd have to deal with the hassle of arranging a hotel or something. Hopefully the national sheep site will help me out.

Typically you find the further north you go the later lambing begins. A farm I went lambing on in the Lake District didn't even start till the 11th April. A lot of farms will provide you with accommodation seen as you will effectively be working for free at sometimes very unsociable hours
would anybody tell me briefly what kind of experience we are supposed to gain or work we need to do during lambing or calving? I did treatment to those lambs who got inverted eyelids and hand fed calves with colostrum, is it related ? Thanks
Original post by 12103763d
would anybody tell me briefly what kind of experience we are supposed to gain or work we need to do during lambing or calving? I did treatment to those lambs who got inverted eyelids and hand fed calves with colostrum, is it related ? Thanks

As much as you can gain out of the placement hands on wise. It depends on the farmer and how keen you are. Usual lambing placements you do what you've said above, assist in difficult lambings if you're allowed, learn about the husbandry requirements of sheep and the timeline of tupping- lambing.

Calving you need to learn again the husbandry, how to assist in calvings if needed and again the timeline from either AI or bulling to calving.

It's down to you what you get out of it but you need to make sure you learn the general management of these animals etc

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by idree5
I

As said above, further north the later lambing it. Hill farmers tend to lamb later on nearer to Easter time. A lot of the farmers who advertise on NSA will let you stay with them, but sometimes you may have to ask if they can let you stay in return for your hard work all hours. If you're polite and helpful and eat what's put in front of you, you'll have no issues 😂 some farmers will even pay you for your time but it's dependent on the farmer.
You're best off putting lambing as your priority. I never had any calving experience before I went to uni, and generally when it comes to calving as a student prior to vet school you'll just be watching and they some won't let you get involved because you can be put in dangerous situations in the process. There's a limit to how much damage a sheep can cause compared to a 600kg heifer

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
As said above, further north the later lambing it. Hill farmers tend to lamb later on nearer to Easter time. A lot of the farmers who advertise on NSA will let you stay with them, but sometimes you may have to ask if they can let you stay in return for your hard work all hours. If you're polite and helpful and eat what's put in front of you, you'll have no issues 😂 some farmers will even pay you for your time but it's dependent on the farmer.
You're best off putting lambing as your priority. I never had any calving experience before I went to uni, and generally when it comes to calving as a student prior to vet school you'll just be watching and they some won't let you get involved because you can be put in dangerous situations in the process. There's a limit to how much damage a sheep can cause compared to a 600kg heifer

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. I'm definitely just gonna wait and see what comes up on the NSA website. I wouldn't mind staying away but I guess the only problem is I'm Muslim so I can't eat pork or meat that's not halal. This might be difficult to cater for. Do you think they would mind if I just said I'm vegetarian? I don't wanna seem super fussy but there isn't much I can do lol.
Original post by idree5
Thank you. I'm definitely just gonna wait and see what comes up on the NSA website. I wouldn't mind staying away but I guess the only problem is I'm Muslim so I can't eat pork or meat that's not halal. This might be difficult to cater for. Do you think they would mind if I just said I'm vegetarian? I don't wanna seem super fussy but there isn't much I can do lol.

Tell the truth as to why you don't eat meat, farmers will understand more that you don't eat meat because you're Muslim than if you say you're vegetarian, because you're not being awkward, it's your religion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lambing experience available in april 2016 in north wales, call for more details 07775707044 dylan
Do you know if the experience is still available?
Original post by nidx14azfar
Do you know if the experience is still available?

The above post explicitly states that the placement was for April 2016. I highly doubt that they will be able to offer you anything now, especially if you are specifically looking for a placement over summer. It is not lambing season now.

In future please do not post in ancient threads. Make a new one instead. I am now locking this.

Latest

Trending

Trending