The Student Room Group

Can bilinguals think in both of their languages?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fleming1928
I can speak English and Polish fluently, and at one point I just realised that I think in English. I can choose which language I want to think in, but when I'm not focusing on it I just automatically think in English.

Can you think in Polish?
Original post by Anne Dagenhart
Yes, I think so. I can speak Vietnamese and English and I can think fairly well in both languages. The only difficulty I have is thinking with both languages at the same time.

Can you think in Vietnamese?
Original post by oShahpo
Yea I can.

What languages can you think in ?
i speak four, but theres always one thats dominant then the others
Original post by jkrowling890
Can you think in Vietnamese?

Yes, I can.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I am bilingual in English and Spanish and yes, I can think in both languages.

What do you mean you "can think in both languages" ?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
I am bilingual in English and Spanish and yes, I can think in both languages.

What do you mean you "can think in both languages" ?
Original post by Blackstarr
I think in English but i think that is because 90% of the time i speak English rather than Polish.

Can you think in Polish?
Original post by rambapa
Can you think in Polish?

not really because I am not fluent:redface:
Ofc
Original post by fg45344
So here is my question....

If you speak only english, you will think in english. If you speak only spanish, you will think in spanish. If you speak spanish and english fluently, say being bilingual from birth, can you think in both languages?

I speak 5 languages and can think in all of them but most of the time I think in English occasionally it will be the other 4 languages or sometimes all of them merged loool
Original post by DoyouEden?
I speak 5 languages and can think in all of them but most of the time I think in English occasionally it will be the other 4 languages or sometimes all of them merged loool

How do you know 5 languages?
Original post by rambapa
How do you know 5 languages?

Mixed race born in England and learnt 2 languages myself
Mixed race born in England and learnt 2 languages myself

What age did you learn all 5 languages?
Original post by rambapa
What age did you learn all 5 languages?

Parents spoke their languages (German and Urdu) to me ever since I was born, English obviously cause I was born here, my mums brother lives in Japan and we frequently visit him and his family since I was 3 so I learnt it from there and then I started teaching myself Korean 3 years ago so when I was 14
Parents spoke their languages (German and Urdu) to me ever since I was born, English obviously cause I was born here, my mums brother lives in Japan and we frequently visit him and his family since I was 3 so I learnt it from there and then I started teaching myself Korean 3 years ago so when I was 14

So do you think in English most of the time?
Original post by rambapa
So do you think in English most of the time?

Yep, but if Im around my German family then I think in German but if I'm around my Pakistani family I think in Urdu. Or I mix all the languages together lool it's really random but a majority of the time it is English
Yep, but if Im around my German family then I think in German but if I'm around my Pakistani family I think in Urdu. Or I mix all the languages together lool it's really random but a majority of the time it is English

Can you force yourself to think in German, like right now?
Original post by rambapa
Can you force yourself to think in German, like right now?

Yep, I can consciously make myself think in any of those languages right now
Yep, I can consciously make myself think in any of those languages right now

So altogether you can think in 5 languages, right? No others, right?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending