The Student Room Group

Are jeans ever acceptable? (interview question)

I'm currently applying for jobs at ski chalets, some of which are very smart, for host/waiter/cleaner type positions. For going to interviews I don't currently posses any suits apart from black tie tuxedos or evening tails.

Would jeans (dark grey), a waistcoat (grey), overcoat and tie be suitable for an interview? It would be worn with brown leather shoes.

I've been looking for advice online and haven't found anywhere say anything beyond "never wear jeans to an interview". The fact I'll be travelling a fair distance for these interviews means I'm also worried about wearing my proper dress shoes etc as they'd just be ruined.

I could possibly include a picture if it would help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No

Never wear jeans to an interview, no matter the job.

Always go dressed as smart as possible, it shows effort.
I wouldn't - just buy a pair of grey smart trousers that match your waistcoat you'll be able to get them relatively cheaply.

Take a spare pair of shoes and wear those and swap to your dress shoes just before you get to the place of interview if you're that worried about them being ruined.
Reply 3
You can buy cheap trousers from places like Primark or Asda - they don't have to be particularly good quality as you won't be wearing them much. But it would look better if you wore trousers.

You might get away with it if it's a casual place, or if the jeans really don't look like jeans. But if you don't get the job you'll just be wondering if trousers would have made a difference.
Jeans? No. Brown shoes? No. Both together? Crikey!
Original post by Good bloke
Jeans? No. Brown shoes? No. Both together? Crikey!

Just what I thought. Maybe its a new fashion craze?
Original post by 999tigger
Maybe its a new fashion craze?

Or a crazy new fashion.
Original post by Dheorl
I'm currently applying for jobs at ski chalets, some of which are very smart, for host/waiter/cleaner type positions. For going to interviews I don't currently posses any suits apart from black tie tuxedos or evening tails.

Would jeans (dark grey), a waistcoat (grey), overcoat and tie be suitable for an interview? It would be worn with brown leather shoes.

I've been looking for advice online and haven't found anywhere say anything beyond "never wear jeans to an interview". The fact I'll be travelling a fair distance for these interviews means I'm also worried about wearing my proper dress shoes etc as they'd just be ruined.

I could possibly include a picture if it would help.

Isn't the clue in some of them are very smart? You are trying to impress them to show you can fit in and will make an effort. Not sure jeans and brown shoes would do it for me. Actually I'm sure they wouldn't. You'd stand out for the wrong reasons, especially if everyone else made an effort.

Btw they are acceptable of it fits the organisation and job you are applying for, but that isnt always guaranteed. the general rule is smart and conservative, unless it was soemthing creative and flamboyant where you might get away with dressing accordingly. The idea is nt to get caught out by being underdressed. you can normally down dress if you judge it incorrectly. there are good suggestions about just getting yourself a cheap set of interview clothes.

How much will the job pay you over the period? How does that compare to how much buying some cheap smart clothes (2nd hand if needed be)?
(edited 7 years ago)
Could you not just buy a cheap suit?
Reply 9
Why's everyone having such a hissy about jeans and brown shoes? Brown shoes are the common accepted colour when worn with grey.

The interviews will literally be across the county where I'll be looking to spend the day so proper dress shoes just won't work, I'm not going to destroy the sole on a £100 pair of shoes if I can help it. My worry is if I go for smart trousers I'll need smart shoes, and I know it sounds stupid but cheap shoes genuinely don't fit me (I have incredibly narrow feet, and normally the narrower shoes are the more expensive/italian brands) and by this point we're up to more than I can afford, especially if I don't get the job.

Would a cheap pair of chinos be more acceptable than jeans, with the rest of the outfit as before?
Original post by Dheorl

Where exactly are you interviewing, which country? Conventions may be different in France/Italy etc.

In the UK jeans aren't acceptable for any interview except perhaps a casual job on a building site/warehouse/farm etc.

Brown shoes and jeans are accepted casual wear in the Cotswolds, ie the country set, with a tweed jacket and a well behaved gun dog in tow, at the weekends, or perhaps at Badders, but again, not at interview.

I don't know what sort of 'dress shoes' you are buying, but Loakes, Church's, Herring etc leather soled Oxfords or brogues etc are perfectly accommodating of a full day's wear and a schlep across London etc.

Chino's might be acceptable, but it's a risk - what are people wearing in any website photos of this role? However, you'd still have to wear proper leather shoes.
Reply 11
Original post by threeportdrift
Where exactly are you interviewing, which country? Conventions may be different in France/Italy etc.

In the UK jeans aren't acceptable for any interview except perhaps a casual job on a building site/warehouse/farm etc.

Brown shoes and jeans are accepted casual wear in the Cotswolds, ie the country set, with a tweed jacket and a well behaved gun dog in tow, at the weekends, or perhaps at Badders, but again, not at interview.

I don't know what sort of 'dress shoes' you are buying, but Loakes, Church's, Herring etc leather soled Oxfords or brogues etc are perfectly accommodating of a full day's wear and a schlep across London etc.

Chino's might be acceptable, but it's a risk - what are people wearing in any website photos of this role? However, you'd still have to wear proper leather shoes.

I've already had a couple of interviews (online) with them and they said the job uniform is either black trousers and black shirt, or black trousers and white polo shirt depending on time of day. The job is in France, but the people are English.

The dress shoes I currently have would not survive a day in London. They're made for dance floors and nice carpets. Hence having to potentially buy new ones if I need to look smarter, something I'm not sure I have the money for.
Original post by Dheorl
I've already had a couple of interviews (online) with them and they said the job uniform is either black trousers and black shirt, or black trousers and white polo shirt depending on time of day. The job is in France, but the people are English.

The dress shoes I currently have would not survive a day in London. They're made for dance floors and nice carpets. Hence having to potentially buy new ones if I need to look smarter, something I'm not sure I have the money for.

Then all black, chinos and a shirt with a dark jacket are probably acceptable, but you will need to invest in or borrow a pair of black shoes.
Reply 13
Then all black, chinos and a shirt with a dark jacket are probably acceptable, but you will need to invest in or borrow a pair of black shoes.

So a whole new wardrobe that I can't afford then. Sounds grand =)
Original post by Chief Wiggum
Could you not just buy a cheap suit?

God no, you'd be better off with well-fitting jeans than a cheap and nasty suit!

In answer - jeans are never appropriate for an interview, no matter how dark. Normal business attire would be a lounge suit in a sober colour (dark navy or charcoal (not black or strong blue or any other colours), a good-quality shirt in white (preferably) or blue in either a plain weave or herringbone, a tie in a plain or geometric pattern with black derby or brogue shoes. This is city attire, but works for any interview where you want to come across as serious. If you're a bit short of cash, second-hand quality garments that fit well are much better than some nasty cheap suits/trousers from the High Street.
(edited 7 years ago)

If he's already struggling on his budget, then suggesting Church's shoes at £200+ isn't going to be a runner...
Original post by Reality Check
If he's already struggling on his budget, then suggesting Church's shoes at £200+ isn't going to be a runner...

I didn't 'suggest' Church's shoes, I presumed someone who owns a pair of formal dancing shoes with a leather sole would be au fait with the concept of leather soled shoes as a formal standard of dress. Though, if you've got dancing shoes, I'd suggest you either have money, or you have parents/relatives with money, who might be pressed to invest in a pair of interview shoes for you!
Though, if you've got dancing shoes, I'd suggest you either have money, or you have parents/relatives with money, who might be pressed to invest in a pair of interview shoes for you!

This is very true!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dheorl
So a whole new wardrobe that I can't afford then. Sounds grand =)

Do you want the job or not? It's a simple life challenge and it's an up-front investment of £50-100 tops for a job that will pay ........?
Reply 19
I didn't 'suggest' Church's shoes, I presumed someone who owns a pair of formal dancing shoes with a leather sole would be au fait with the concept of leather soled shoes as a formal standard of dress. Though, if you've got dancing shoes, I'd suggest you either have money, or you have parents/relatives with money, who might be pressed to invest in a pair of interview shoes for you!

I used to have money, but no longer do. Relatives have money, but I try to avoid asking for any unless my life depends on it, hence trying my absolute hardest to get through with what I have/can get cheaply. Shoes, jacket, shirt and trousers that fit me will be well over the £100 mark.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending