The Student Room Group

Woman kicked out of Berlin cafe for breastfeeding

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/germans-call-for-law-to-protect-womens-right-to-breastfeed-in-public-a6880836.html

In Germany, restaurants are still allowed to discriminate against nursing mothers.It seems that nursing mothers aren't able to fully live their lives there without fear of being discriminated against or looked at weirdly.

Surely it's about time we acknoweldged that this sort of attitude towards breastfeeding is just unacceptable? It's a perfectly normal thing yet women still get stared at or verbally abused because of them naturally feeding their child?

Scroll to see replies

Good. breastfeeding is acceptable, just not in public, it's like waking up in the morning naked, go straight out the door of your home, without brushing teeth, and having a shower, and going to a cafe naked, this is unacceptable.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by KnowledgeIsBest
Good. breastfeeding is acceptable, just not in public, it's like waking up in the morning naked, go straight out the door of your home, without brushing teeth, and having a shower, and going to a cafe naked, this is unacceptable.

Why is it not acceptable in public? People shouldn't be looking at the woman breastfeeding anyway. If they look and get offended that's their problem. Breastfeeding is completely natural and important and after a long day it might be necessary to feed the child in public before getting home.
Original post by biglad2k16
Why is it not acceptable in public? People shouldn't be looking at the woman breastfeeding anyway. If they look and get offended that's their problem. Breastfeeding is completely natural and important and after a long day it might be necessary to feed the child in public before getting home.

1.Read my analogy.
2. your wrong, people can look wherever they want.
3. the problem is the person who is making the problem, in this case, it is people that breastfeed in public.
4.sure its natural, that's not a good excuse to be half naked.
4. the women can use the pump thing to take the milk out before she leaves the house.
Reply 4
1.Read my analogy.
2. your wrong, people can look wherever they want.
3. the problem is the person who is making the problem, in this case, it is people that breastfeed in public.
4.sure its natural, that's not a good excuse to be half naked.
4. the women can use the pump thing to take the milk out before she leaves the house.

Women aren't half naked when they nurse...
Women aren't half naked when they nurse...

err, yes they are half naked, nursing or not.
Reply 6
err, yes they are half naked, nursing or not.

No, they're fully clothed. The woman still wears everything but pulls down her top slightly to expose a breast which the baby feeds from. No clothes are taken off and the baby's head hides the breast anyway.
Sadly there are still some delicate little flowers that are offended or feel threatened by a woman feeding her baby.
No, they're fully clothed. The woman still wears everything but pulls down her top slightly to expose a breast which the baby feeds from. No clothes are taken off and the baby's head hides the breast anyway.

I believe that it shouldn't be allowed in public.

Original post by Quantex
Sadly there are still some delicate little flowers that are offended or feel threatened by a woman feeding her baby.

That's right. There are millions of them in Saudi Arabia.
I was there a couple of years ago. If a woman tried it in a café there she would be lucky to get out without having the crap kicked out of her while she was being held until the police arrived to arrest her.
Reply 10
Original post by caravaggio2
That's right. There are millions of them in Saudi Arabia.
I was there a couple of years ago. If a woman tried it in a café there she would be lucky to get out without having the crap kicked out of her while she was being held until the police arrived to arrest her.

Wow, so the natural process of feeding a baby is offensive there
I believe that it shouldn't be allowed in public.

what's your problem with boobs, man?
Original post by sleepysnooze
what's your problem with boobs, man?

I have no problem with boobs, I just believe in what I think is right.
I have no problem with boobs, I just believe in what I think is right.

so you believe in what you think is right, which is that boobs are bad, yet you have no problem with boobs...
Original post by sleepysnooze
so you believe in what you think is right, which is that boobs are bad, yet you have no problem with boobs...

wait, wait, wait. I did not say boobs are bad, I have only said that breastfeeding should not happen in public.
wait, wait, wait. I did not say boobs are bad, I have only said that breastfeeding should not happen in public.

so how do you reconcile those two opinions?
StillenohneRücksichtaufdenöffentlichenAnstand is taken very seriously in Germany.
I don't think it's a case of whether or not a woman has a*right to do this in broad daylight. *As with most of these kinds of things, it's not whether she's got that right, but whether or not exercising that right might make other people feel slightly uncomfortable. *And if there were a danger that it might, and it wasn't going to kill her to maybe be a little bit more discreet about it, wouldn't that be better for everyone overall? *It's not a case of rights, it's just a case of good manners, surely? *I don't have any particular problem myself with breastfeeding in public, but I know plenty of older people who would be slightly offended by it - it really is rather a modern idea. *And I don't think we should just dismiss this as 'they just need to get over it'. *It's supposed to be a society.* *And all these bloody asterisks are a result of my changing the text editor in my preferences!
Reply 18
A business owner decides they don't want to do business with a specific person because of the actions of that person big deal.
Original post by Reality Check
I don't think it's a case of whether or not a woman has a*right to do this in broad daylight. *As with most of these kinds of things, it's not whether she's got that right, but whether or not exercising that right might make other people feel slightly uncomfortable. *And if there were a danger that it might, and it wasn't going to kill her to maybe be a little bit more discreet about it, wouldn't that be better for everyone overall? *It's not a case of rights, it's just a case of good manners, surely? *I don't have any particular problem myself with breastfeeding in public, but I know plenty of older people who would be slightly offended by it - it really is rather a modern idea. *And I don't think we should just dismiss this as 'they just need to get over it'. *It's supposed to be a society.* *And all these bloody asterisks are a result of my changing the text editor in my preferences!

lol at breastfeeding being a modern idea... what do you think happened before formula milk? society should function for the greater good of its members. And whether the people offended like it or not, breastfeeding is the best thing a mother can do for the baby and to an extent, for the society as breastfeeding reduces occurance of diseases that would burden the society and the health system in the future. So let's weigh this out against "older people feel uncomfortable". Expressing milk using a pump is an idea, however it is not always practical as it takes ages to do, and should be stored in the fridge, so in a long day out this is not an option.*

I don't know if you have actually ever seen a woman breastfeeding, but you can NOT see a boob or nipple, the baby covers it. You see more boobs on posters and advertisements. The exposure time is literally 1 or 2 seconds until the baby starts feeding. So to actually see an exposed boob, you would have to be looking for it.*

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending